• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Delaware in double OT, 78-71

https://towsontigers.com/boxscore.aspx?id=11641

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/2/14/mens-basketball-tigers-battle-delaware-in-2ot-thriller.aspx

If Towson won this game in OT or double OT, this had a chance to be one of the greatest comebacks in the history of the program. Unfortunately, Brian Fobbs wasn't used to playing 45 minutes and had very little help from Howard and McNeill. Howard's big 3 got us into OT and his 15 points were fine but his drifting, off-balance threes in both OTs were tough to watch. Oh well. There goes the 7-game winning streak over the Hens. Now a must-win on Saturday against Drexel if they want to avoid the play-in game. Comments will be coming up.

Just now, sr16 said:

McNeill too noticeably absent just from the box score. 

He and Betrand combined for 1 for 13. That's tough to overcome from the shooting guard position. If Betrand, who pulled up twice for a jumper on a fast break instead of driving, played just average, we might win and McNeill would play less minutes.

Skerry opening comment

Credit to Delaware. Our defensive numbers are outstanding but our two big things coming into the game were guarding threes, which 13 threes were a lot. Especially the way we started. We helped them out a lot early in the game. We expected them to play zone, which they probably did 80% of the game. We had some charges and fumbled plays early. We talked at halftime that we needed to push the ball so they wouldn't get set in the zone. That helped us. Then we had some open looks, esp. in second overtime. We didn't shoot the ball well in the perimeter. I thought our shot selection was pretty good but the difference in the game was the three-point shot.

On Fobbs

He has to be tired but their guys played a lot of minutes too. We talk him off (Ryan) Allen because he had four fouls. We need him on the floor. Other guys had issues scoring the ball or staying on the floor so we had to....In the last play of the first overtime, we had a special that we normally run and we didn't execute it. We had a shot but it wasn't the shot we normally get out of that. That was a little bit disappointing. Horton made a big three in front of their bench in overtime. We almost stole it but didn't.

Guys are playing hard. We didn't play our best today. You have to make some shots. We had a lot of shots where we penetrated with 12-15 foot pullups. We just didn't make them. We had some extra looks, and-ones, open shots. Didn't make them. We fought hard. One guy gets 21 rebounds. Maybe we could have played a couple of guys more minutes. It's hard when you have an overtime. The zone negates Jakigh a little bit. Maybe I could have played Allen (Betrand) more because Jordan was beaten up. We just didn't get very good numbers out of that position (2-guard). We're fighting foul trouble with Nakye. We have a tough time following our training. We're just not all the way there offensively. 

We've been guarding at a high level. Might be the best defensive team in the league. We're like an incomplete sentence on offense. I expected all zone today. They've played zone, but not all zone. I don't think we did a good enough job attacking it. We think it's going to be easy so we don't get off to great starts. The guys are playing hard, guys are getting better. We're not all the way there yet. We have a chance to I think to get back to where we are accustomed to being. We have to finish strong. We have a couple of guys coming in and we have to add a couple of pieces. We're not far off but we're not there yet.

On Tunstall

He plays hard every day. We'd like to see him be more aggressive on offense. Looking for the ball. Flashing for the ball. Sealing at the elbows. He does it well in practices, has to carry it over into games.

On Alex Thomas

There are certain matchup that are good for him defensively like (Eric) Carter. We do a lot of skill work but he just doesn't move great because he has the torn labrum. He's given you what he has. We're going to need him. Other teams that play smaller, that's not him. I love Nakye, the fouls. He has to be better at this juncture. He has to be better than that.

Missed this game, but did DVR it and will watch tonight.  Judging off the boxscore looks like we couldnt score and it was a 1 man game? Guessing the FT discrepancy was due to us trailing but damn we need to hit the offensive glass better against an undermanned team.  Would have thought once we made that late comeback, it was mental for Delaware and that they would fold.

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Skerry opening comment

Credit to Delaware. Our defensive numbers are outstanding but our two big things coming into the game were guarding threes, which 13 threes were a lot. Especially the way we started. We helped them out a lot early in the game. We expected them to play zone, which they probably did 80% of the game. We had some charges and fumbled plays early. We talked at halftime that we needed to push the ball so they wouldn't get set in the zone. That helped us. Then we had some open looks, esp. in second overtime. We didn't shoot the ball well in the perimeter. I thought our shot selection was pretty good but the difference in the game was the three-point shot.

On Fobbs

He has to be tired but their guys played a lot of minutes too. We talk him off (Ryan) Allen because he had four fouls. We need him on the floor. Other guys had issues scoring the ball or staying on the floor so we had to....In the last play of the first overtime, we had a special that we normally run and we didn't execute it. We had a shot but it wasn't the shot we normally get out of that. That was a little bit disappointing. Horton made a big three in front of their bench in overtime. We almost stole it but didn't.

Guys are playing hard. We didn't play our best today. You have to make some shots. We had a lot of shots where we penetrated with 12-15 foot pullups. We just didn't make them. We had some extra looks, and-ones, open shots. Didn't make them. We fought hard. One guy gets 21 rebounds. Maybe we could have played a couple of guys more minutes. It's hard when you have an overtime. The zone negates Jakigh a little bit. Maybe I could have played Allen (Betrand) more because Jordan was beaten up. We just didn't get very good numbers out of that position (2-guard). We're fighting foul trouble with Nakye. We have a tough time following our training. We're just not all the way there offensively. 

We've been guarding at a high level. Might be the best defensive team in the league. We're like an incomplete sentence on offense. I expected all zone today. They've played zone, but not all zone. I don't think we did a good enough job attacking it. We think it's going to be easy so we don't get off to great starts. The guys are playing hard, guys are getting better. We're not all the way there yet. We have a chance to I think to get back to where we are accustomed to being. We have to finish strong. We have a couple of guys coming in and we have to add a couple of pieces. We're not far off but we're not there yet.

On Tunstall

He plays hard every day. We'd like to see him be more aggressive on offense. Looking for the ball. Flashing for the ball. Sealing at the elbows. He does it well in practices, has to carry it over into games.

On Alex Thomas

There are certain matchup that are good for him defensively like (Eric) Carter. We do a lot of skill work but he just doesn't move great because he has the torn labrum. He's given you what he has. We're going to need him. Other teams that play smaller, that's not him. I love Nakye, the fouls. He has to be better at this juncture. He has to be better than that.

I agree on Tunstall. He doesn't need to shoot 8-10 times a game but he can be more offensive minded. His shot isnt bad especially compared to most on the team. He is like a poor mans TJ. The hard worker who handles the little things

56 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Missed this game, but did DVR it and will watch tonight.  Judging off the boxscore looks like we couldnt score and it was a 1 man game? Guessing the FT discrepancy was due to us trailing but damn we need to hit the offensive glass better against an undermanned team.  Would have thought once we made that late comeback, it was mental for Delaware and that they would fold.

Howard played well offensively in the second half until the overtimes. But sure, offense was the main issue after Delaware started missing threes. Tunstall should have scored more around the rim but he struggles to finish around contact.

I think Skerry needed to play his freshmen in the second overtime, because it was obvious that Howard et al. were out of steam in the first extra session. We shot horribly most of the game -- though, to be fair, many of Fobbs' shots were in and out -- and it was more of the same in OT. But MacNeil just doesn't give you much of anything (he blew another fast-break layup in the first half -- how many of those have we seen over the years?), even when he's not gimpy or tired, so Betrand, despite his weaknesses, seemed like a better bet to me. And I would have taken Jakeigh over Howard at that point just for his energy, which might have made a difference given that the Hens were so tired too. I thought Thomas played well defensively; even with his bad hip, he didn't give ground when Carter tried to back in. And Tunstall remains the guy I most admire; he'll never have much bulk or be a great offensive threat, but I love his defense/rebounding and that put-back in OT was amazing. He came out nowhere to grab the ball and his reverse layup was a thing of beauty.

Just not enough options on offense. The entire team, not including Fobbs, shot 15-51 from the field last night, which is 30%. 

As Mat already pointed out, McNeil & Betrand shot a combined 1-13. Sanders shot 3-5, but only played 16 minutes because, as always, he got in foul trouble. Thomas & Tunstall play strong D, but you’re not going to get much O out of them. Solomon U isn’t doing much on offense either. 

Playing hard nosed D & crashing the boards is great, but there has to be more than 1 guy on offense who is a consistent scoring threat.