• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Hoops Thoughts

While it is apparent that our guys are not the best offensive players, the coaching philosophy needs to change.  Under Pat, we have only twice average over 73 points a game.  I can't believe that we just always consistently have inept offensive players, were only 1-2 can average more than 10 points a game. It is a style issue and that needs to change, as college hoops and the CAA is changing and becoming more offensive oriented.  I know the response will be "we don't have as much talent and need to rely on out hustling teams," but after 8 years whose fault is that? Yes, we got dealt a sh*tty hand when two players quit on the coaches, their teammates and the program, but we aren't the only ones. Delaware lost Daly, UNCW lost their coach and Bryce two years ago, Drexel lost Isabell.

We need to push the ball more, run more creative offensive sets and space the floor better. We have always had to work 10 times harder to get a decent shot than teams we play. Can it be the players? After so much turnover and different types of players, it is not.  

This year we have taken 100 less 3's than the next closest team. 100!  And that team plays a similar one in style to us, Charleston, who also hits a low % of 3's, who has 20 wins. It is not like they are down late in games needing to chuck up 3's. But guess what, they aver 7.5 more points a game than us.

Kai Toews, the freshman point guard for UNCW, in 30 minutes per game averages 7.8 assists per game, 210 on the season. We as a team have 255.. That is ridiculous. Toews isn't a great athlete and not the best shooter, but Skerry needs to find players like this. Ones' who wont jump out of the gym, but can handle the ball and run a team using basketball IQ.

In 2 Double OT games, we have scored 80 and 71. We have only broke 70 in regulation, 3 times this year at home (one against Loyola and the other an Ivy) How bad is the offense? Games of 61 against WM and 77 and 61 against UNCW (351st of 353 in Defense rankings). UNCW just "held" NE to 81 last night, in Wilmington, with NE missing Puscica and Occeaus.

This is not a fire Skerry rant/thread. The team has gotten better lately and gelled. But this is my observation and opinion on the direction of the program overall.  It is stuck in neutral (like football was until Tom showed up) and I'm just left wondering, will the next year or two be much better?? We may win a few more games, but will we ever make a run in the CAA?

I appreciate what he has done for the program and school as a whole. He is a nice guy and has graduated all of the players, they help out in the community, and helps put on a wonderful annual Autism Awareness event. You can be a good guy and coach, but also win too.  His style, philosophy, staff, and plays are just not cutting it. 

• Like 3

You nailed this post.

I’ve posted stats recently that also show how bad our offense is. I just posted on another thread that except for Fobbs last night, we shot 15-51 from the field!! Not only is this brand of play not entertaining, it’s out of touch with how the game is played these days. The stats on our woeful 3-point shooting (in terms of how many we take, & the % we make) bears that out. Guys who play tough D & crash the boards have their place, but they need to be balanced with guys who can shoot & create shots on the offensive end. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over & expecting different results. I believe there needs to be a philosophical change in the type of players being brought in. 

I have resigned myself to accepting the fact that PS is here indefinitely. Nonetheless I do think, after 8 years, it is legitimate to question whether he’s plateaued & whether we’ll ever win the conference tournament under him (we’ve yet to win more than 1 game in any conference tournament in the PS era). 

I’m anxious to see what type of players he brings in to fill the 2 open scholarships that currently exist for next season.