• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Datres

TOWSON 92, DREXEL 77 (story)

Granted it was Drexel, but our 1st half was a thing of beauty on both ends. I care not that Drexel outscored us by 12 in the 2nd half-a desperate team, down by 27 at the half, is going to make a run. I suppose there’s also a natural tendency for a team up by 27 to get a bit complacent. Besides, we win by 20+ if their scrub walk-on doesn’t drain 2 3’s in garbage time.

This was the #20 that PS was hoping for when he transferred in. 17 points & 10 boards. Howard had a career game with 26-when he’s on, he can be a productive scorer. What can you say about Fobbs? Personally, I think he’s better than ZM was last year-he’s a better foul shooter, better rebounder, scoring is about equal, and on the intangible side, my sense is he’s a better teammate.

Betrand , Dottin & Solomon U also had their moments today. W was all the more impressive, given that we basically played with a 2-man bench, with McNeil & Thomas out. Drayton played a bit, so at least that allowed some other guys to get a little breather. 

Thought the crowd, by our standards, was good today as well.

Line of the day on the postgame show was Skerry’s comment that they must have gotten a couple of the refs from today’s game out of the witness protection program. I wonder if the CAA can fine a coach for comments like that? Though he was right. Some of the calls today were horrid. 

There weren’t many bumps that went uncalled, especially when Drexel kept driving to the basket in the 2nd half.  Our guys got a couple of dumb ones when hedging off a screen, something we get called on far too often.  Refs must not have had anywhere they had to be today. 

If things continue as they are, UNCW, JMU & Elon will be 3 of the 4 teams in the play-in. That would mean the 4th team is going to be Drexel, W&M or us. 

Have to continue to win the two final two home games. If they can got 8-10 in the league, no matter how bad it is, this will be one of PS's better coaching jobs. To beat this team without your starting shooting guard and backup center by 15 is impressive. I'll have comments later.

Also, TSU88 needs to be put up more threads about how bad we are offensively (lol). We went from low-scoring double-ot loss to scoring over 90 points. 

As for Sanders, great all-around game. Part of it, is staying out of foul trouble. This other is about matchups. When he goes up against a quality center with a lot of size, he winds up in foul trouble. And sure, not really missing Jordan's offense. 

Pat said Thomas can't really play back-to-backs right now. The 30 minutes he played the other night took too much out of him and Jordan also needed the night off to the double ot game. 

It’s going to come down to those home games, as we’re not beating Hofstra on the road, & unlikely we’ll beat NE on the road. That would mean we’d have to beat W&M & Elon at home to finish 8-10 in conference. 

Drexel finishes with Delaware, Hofstra & NE, so good chance they lose all 3, to finish 6-12

Elon & W&M play tonight. Not sure who I want to win, like that matters anyway.

JMU, Elon & UNCW all only have 4 conference W’s.  JMU still has to play Delaware, NE & Hofstra, amongst others, so it wouldn’t appear they’ll climb out of the bottom 4

Elon has W&M, UNCW, C of C, JMU & us. If they beat W&M tonight, they actually have a chance to climb out of the bottom 4

UNCW has Hofstra, Elon, W&M & C of C, so there chances of clawing out of the bottom 4 don’t seem great.

And I will gladly put up more posts about our shortcomings on O if it results in 90+ point efforts like today!!!😆

Edited by TSU88

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Granted it was Drexel, but our 1st half was a thing of beauty on both ends. I care not that Drexel outscored us by 12 in the 2nd half-a desperate team, down by 27 at the half, is going to make a run. I suppose there’s also a natural tendency for a team up by 27 to get a bit complacent. Besides, we win by 20+ if their scrub walk-on doesn’t drain 2 3’s in garbage time.

This was the #20 that PS was hoping for when he transferred in. 17 points & 10 boards. Howard had a career game with 26-when he’s on, he can be a productive scorer. What can you say about Fobbs? Personally, I think he’s better than ZM was last year-he’s a better foul shooter, better rebounder, scoring is about equal, and on the intangible side, my sense is he’s a better teammate.

Betrand , Dottin & Solomon U also had their moments today. W was all the more impressive, given that we basically played with a 2-man bench, with McNeil & Thomas out. Drayton played a bit, so at least that allowed some other guys to get a little breather. 

Thought the crowd, by our standards, was good today as well.

Line of the day on the postgame show was Skerry’s comment that they must have gotten a couple of the refs from today’s game out of the witness protection program. I wonder if the CAA can fine a coach for comments like that? Though he was right. Some of the calls today were horrid. 

The crowds are usually better on Autism Awareness Day but we'll take what we can get. Maybe some thought there would be bad weather.

I really have no issues with the second half. We played the clock a little too much but we're not used to playing with a 27-point lead at the half. There is no playbook for it and they junked it up with the press so of course, it was going to get sloppy. And yes, undersized walk-on dude outdueled our former undersized walk-on dude until Chris blocked his shot. 

I still like Howard at the off-guard position. When he sets his feet, he's a pretty good shooter. When he's dribbling behind a screen or is trying to do a step-back, he's not a good shooter.