• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Hofstra in double OT, 91-82

https://towsontigers.com/boxscore.aspx?id=11643&path=mbball

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/2/21/mens-basketball-towson-drops-2ot-game-at-hofstra.aspx

I could go on and say that we played a great game but we really didn't. We shot just 5-of-18 from three and 5-of-11 from the FT line. Hofstra made 19 of 25 from the line. JWF had 28 points but 8 turnovers. Jakigh Dottin was spectacular on defense but just 1 of 10 from the field. Had seven assists and two turnovers. After a career game against Drexel, Howard had just 5 points on 2 of 11 shooting.

So we had the ball with under 10 seconds left in regulation. Game tied. Dottin handles it and settles for a mid-range jumper. Huh? Fobbs never touches it and sure, they were all over him but Dottin should not be taking anything but a layup. That's where you let Howard do his thing and even though he had a rough night, they have to take his jumper seriously. Not sure what the hell happened there but I know that's not what they designed.

Great game by Sanders with 16 and 11 but also fouled out. One of the fouls? A tech in the first half for staring down a Hofstra player. Fobbs with 29 but seemed to tire in the overtimes after playing 44 minutes. PS not happy with the schedule that makes you play 12:30pm on a Saturday on the road after playing 7pm on a Thursday.

Skerry comments on TSN postgame:

"This group didn't come up for moral victories. That's a hard team to guard. We held them to 42 percent shooting. A lot of good efforts. We didn't get to the foul line much. That's surprising. The kid Ray made some tough shots. Jakigh didn't shoot the ball great but played excellent defense on the best player of the league.
"When Nakye is on the floor, he's productive. We have to figure out a way on Saturday. Tough turnaround. We're not far off." "We have to win a couple of more games to get to that point (avoid Play in). I thought we controlled tempo pretty good early. They got a lot of free throws. Maybe that's partly due to their zone."
"We're seeing some strides from guys. Didn't shoot it well from 3, low percentage from foul line." "It's lousy that we do this in this league. It's not good for student-athlete health. No excuses when the ball goes up 12:30 on Saturday. We have some guys banged up. Jordan played just 10 minutes."

"No excuses. We have to figure out a way to make it one or two possessions down the stretch. We have to knock some shots down. Some guys other than Fobbs."

I knew we were toast when Dottin took the last shot in regulation. Really?? Can’t be too hard on the kid though; as you pointed out he had 7 assists & played some good D. Still, watching him & Howard shoot a combined 3-20 was hard to watch.

I’m not into moral victories. However, there were some positives. Sanders with another double/double (could this be a harbinger of things to come next season) & Solomon U with 14 points on 7-9 shooting. Of course, Fobbs with another game of near 30 points.

Well, at least JMU & UNCW lost. Drexel was off tonight. We’re clinging to 6th place at the moment.

• Like 1

Here's my thought after this tough loss. This is not a very good team right now but they are getting close. Good teams finish that game with a late lead in regulation and the first OT up 8. Good teams make winning plays and hit jumpers when they are open. Good teams usually don't have point guards that shoot for 1 for 10 and the backup goes 2 for 11. But I tell you what, 3 1/2 weeks ago, we got our ass kicked by Hofstra at home. It wasn't close. I didn't think we had much of a chance here, not just because of that game but considering Hofstra came off a bad loss to UNCW. The team plays hard. Goes after every rebound. Fobbs is becoming close to a first-team All-CAA player. Tunstall is an All-Defensive player hands down. Sanders is decent when he stay out of foul trouble and stops overdribbling in the lane. 

Forget a month ago but what did we think in November? Would we get to 10 wins by now? Would we have a shot at repeating last year's CAA record of 8-10? I didn't think so after the Bahamas, the Morgan State loss, the Cornell loss, the La Salle loss, the JMU and UNCW road losses. Hofstra wasn't great but they made winning plays. Not just JWF and Pemberton but Ray and Buie. They only play six and go small with Taylor blocking shots. Good team? Yes. Beatable? Without a doubt.

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I knew we were toast when Dottin took the last shot in regulation. Really?? Can’t be too hard on the kid though; as you pointed out he had 7 assists & played some good D. Still, watching him & Howard shoot a combined 3-20 was hard to watch.

I’m not into moral victories. However, there were some positives. Sanders with another double/double (could this be a harbinger of things to come next season) & Solomon U with 14 points on 7-9 shooting. Of course, Fobbs with another game of near 30 points.

Well, at least JMU & UNCW lost. Drexel was off tonight. We’re clinging to 6th place at the moment.

Skerry has not played Dottin late in games recently and that's why. His shooting is atrocious and not sure why he had the ball on the last play in regulation. I'll take my chances with Howard. Maybe even Fobbs though he is so left-handed. But God, Dottin's defense at times was sensational on JWF. Solomon is actually a better shooter but it seems like he's lost at times on D. And that drive on the baseline on Taylor in the 2nd overtime. Ouch. Taylor wasn't letting him get past him two straight times. But this happens to young guys. That's why you need to rely on the older guys in these situations.

• Like 1

What’s really puzzling to me is not just his dreadful shooting from the field, but Dottin is one of the worst foul shooters, especially considering he’s a guard, I’ve ever seen. When he shoots a foul shot it’s like he’s angry at the ball-he literally just flicks it at the basket. How were the coaches not aware of this when recruiting him? I’ll say this much-Sanders has dramatically improved his foul shooting & so has Tunstall. I’d make Dottin shoot a couple hundred foul shots a day, every day, this off-season 

• Like 1

Btw, we may not be in 6th place. We now have the same record as Drexel, so it’s possible they have some tiebreaker over us & have dropped us for the present to 7th place

11 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

What’s really puzzling to me is not just his dreadful shooting from the field, but Dottin is one of the worst foul shooters, especially considering he’s a guard, I’ve ever seen. When he shoots a foul shot it’s like he’s angry at the ball-he literally just flicks it at the basket. How were the coaches not aware of this when recruiting him? I’ll say this much-Sanders has dramatically improved his foul shooting & so has Tunstall. I’d make Dottin shoot a couple hundred foul shots a day, every day, this off-season 

I don't think they expected him to start by this time. Howard was supposed to be the guy and Dottin might be a starter in Year 3 but sure, they didn't recruit him for his shooting. He knows he has to get better from the line and the field. But you know PS, he plays guys at the point as long as they do two things: Take care of the basketball and can adequately defend. The seven assists to two turnovers would be a lot more impressive if he doesn't go 1 for 10 in a double OT game. He runs the team a lot better than Howard, who commits some ridiculous turnovers if you get in his grill. Look at that Morgan State game and that's largely on TJ because he can't beat a press. Dottin can even though he's not fast. Kid is super confident. I like that about him. If he can become a 70% FT shooter and can extend his range to 18 feet, he'll be a legit starting PG in this league. But obviously, we can't afford to wait on him. Move Howard to the 2 next season and bring in another lead guard.

Btw, don’t look now Delaware, but W&M is only 1 game behind you for 4th place, after beating C of C tonight. Nathan Knight with his 3rd straight 30 point game. We need Delaware to beat Drexel Saturday.

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Btw, don’t look now Delaware, but W&M is only 1 game behind you for 4th place, after beating C of C tonight. Nathan Knight with his 3rd straight 30 point game. We need Delaware to beat Drexel Saturday.

Man you love those W&M Tribesman. You must dream of backdoor layups and three-pointers.