• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Hofstra in double OT, 91-82

I actually can’t stand their coach. He just always looks so smug to me. I’d say I’m envious though of how he seems to always get skilled offensive players. Of course, it hasn’t gotten them to the promised land, but I still believe that with Knight, they are capable of winning 3 straight in the conference tournament. 

As an aside, I’m impressed that they have a kid on their team, Pierce, who graduated in 3 years, with a double major, & is already in law school. That’s pretty damn impressive & what being a student-athlete is all about.

With all that being said, I hope we beat the hell out of them next Thursday 

8 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I missed the game, so am catching up. How did we squander an 8-point lead in the first OT? 

Wow it was 8? Thought it was 6. But they hit back to back 3's 

51 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I actually can’t stand their coach. He just always looks so smug to me. I’d say I’m envious though of how he seems to always get skilled offensive players. Of course, it hasn’t gotten them to the promised land, but I still believe that with Knight, they are capable of winning 3 straight in the conference tournament. 

As an aside, I’m impressed that they have a kid on their team, Pierce, who graduated in 3 years, with a double major, & is already in law school. That’s pretty damn impressive & what being a student-athlete is all about.

You seem to have a fascination about them and I don't blame you because our offense has been dreck for 25 years other than a few seasons. I too had that when they had Thornton. Other than us, I wanted them to get that title because they never made the NCAA's. They do play the right way for the most part and have legit student-athletes. But they also lack a certain toughness needed on the other end of the floor. They are kind of like UMBC and that style could win in the AEast.

2 hours ago, TigerFan54 said:

I missed the game, so am catching up. How did we squander an 8-point lead in the first OT? 

We got up 8, they hit a 3 on their next trip down the court.  We got nothing at our end and on the next possession, Hofstra missed a shot and a ball got tipped toward the sideline that I thought Betrand could have had if he hustled for it.  Instead, Hofstra guy saved it and we were in scramble mode on defense and they hit another 3 to cut it to 2 and then tied it on the next trip.

So...many places I could go with this one.  First, the bad stuff -- the wrong personnel was on the floor at the end of regulation.  There's no way that an offensive liability like Dottin can be on the floor when there's an offensive possession late in the game.  It's like you're playing 4 on 5 with his lack of shooting ability.  Secondly, he dribbles the ball too damn much and it stagnates the offense.  If Howard is running the show there, he can at least freelance when things break down and get a more confident look than what Dottin tossed up.  Next, I thought Skerry's use of Solomon down the stretch was questionable.  He's going along real well and cleaning up the boards and when we're up 66-65, he comes out of the game.  He doesn't go back in until it was 80-78.  You have a guy that was pretty warm and it's like he was forgotten about.  

Now, the good stuff -- they showed a long time ago that they can play with anyone in the conference, except for Hofstra.  The next thing they have to conquer is finishing these games.  But now they've shown that they're going to be a tough out no matter who they play.  The adjustment made at halftime to put Fobbs at the foul line against the zone was brilliant.  That completely opened up our offensive game.  Only issue was that Hofstra switched to a hybrid box-and-one/matchup zone at the 8:00 timeout and then went man after the 4:00 timeout and we didn't adjust well to that.  Kids nowadays, and this goes for all of college basketball, like to prove that there's air in the ball by dribbling it too much and we were no different and as a result, we started settling for forced stuff.  Dottin played tremendous D on JWF all nite.  That alone should have been good enough to win us the game if things had broken correctly at the offensive end.  If Sanders could play more games like tonite (and yes, stop the extra stuff that causes turnovers and offensive fouls), we'd be in better shape going forward.

I said it in the chat and I still believe it -- no such thing as moral victories.  This sucked losing this game tonite because it's one that they really should have had.  But I believe that if we can stay out of the play-in session that they'll give the 3 or 4 seed a giant run for their money.  But it's the little things that we don't have a margin of error for that has caused us to lose games like tonite and at Charleston.  Clean those things up and the wins will come.

• Like 1

The team surely has improved. In the end, though, it is very hard to win when you only have one offensive threat. They do make up with that, somewhat, with effort. But as a famous Baltimore sportscaster, Charlie Eckaman once said, There are only two plays, South Pacific and put the ball in the basket. One more scoring threat is really necessary.

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

It is Rowley, not Pierce. But F William and Mary, especially their fans. I would love to play them in a CAA Final and have them squander a late lead..

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

The team surely has improved. In the end, though, it is very hard to win when you only have one offensive threat. They do make up with that, somewhat, with effort. But as a famous Baltimore sportscaster, Charlie Eckaman once said, There are only two plays, South Pacific and put the ball in the basket. One more scoring threat is really necessary.

Eckman might have been tempted to tell our offense to “call a cab.”😆

I didn't get to watch the game but did follow some and saw the highlights.

Good:

-Seems like the played well and made Hofstra work

-Another good game by Sanders

-Great on the Offensive Boards

-15 Assists to 13 turnovers...baby steps

-Forcing Foreman into 8 turnovers

-Solomon and the bigs (counting alex) 20-30 shooting 43 points and 26 rebounds. Would have liked them to attack a small and short bench team more.

Bad:

-CAA officiating- a team that shoots 60% of their shots from 3, gets 25 FT's, while the team that takes 22% of shots as 3's gets 11...

-FT shooting. Didn't get that many attempts but have to be better.

-Fobbs only 4 shots from under 4 timeout in regulation to the end of the game... I know they are gunning for him, but he needs to shot more. Sorry the rest of the team isnt a threat. 0 in second OT?

-Blown leads in regulation and OT.

-0 points in the second overtime, again. UGH

If we could play an entire game like the first 12 minutes of second halves, we would be phenomenal.

Don't care for moral victories anymore. When your're up late multiple times, close the m' fer out. We again do not have a guy like Foreman, Puscica, Allen, Riller, etc that has "IT" and wants the ball late and thrives under the pressure.

Slightly disappointing but not surprised. We blew a big opportunity last night.