• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Datres

OFFICIAL CELEBRATION THREAD -- TOWSON 10, MORGAN 0

30 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

As I stated in a different topic thread, if last night is any indication, a 2-3 win season, at best, is in the offing.

As I was sitting in the stands last night, I noticed Morgan loading the box, and asked myself "why aren't we forcing them out of that, by going with 4 wides"?  If I understand that, why was it apparently lost on our offensive coaching staff?

We were thoroughly out coached & but for Morgan shooting itself in the foot on offense, we lose.

And it wasn't lost on me that Rhode Island took an FBS team, Central Michigan, to triple OT.  

We had the same reaction on the chat. There was no offensive adjustment to the loaded box. It was obvious to everyone that they should of spread out the D with 4 WR but they never did. 

I've been a big supporter of Rob on this board but last night was inexcusable. The lack of adaption to Morgans defense was atrocious. This may have been one of the worst called offensive games I've ever seen in my life. 

• Like 1

Could be in for a long year in the CAA. Seeing Stony Brook, W&M, Rhody, Albany and JMU either hang with or beat FBS foes has me concerned when we could barely beat a MEAC school. 

1 hour ago, Tiger12 said:

I've been a big supporter of Rob on this board but last night was inexcusable. The lack of adaption to Morgans defense was atrocious. This may have been one of the worst called offensive games I've ever seen in my life. 

I was saying it all night. Even during our down years we've been able to put up points. Pressure on the QB almost every snap. MM was running for his life out there. We did seem to get a better spark with Stover in the game. Hopefully we see a HUGE change next week. We completely abandoned the run game when we have capable backs.  I'll take the W but I think we are a better team than yesterday.

I kind of dread waking up when we lose, hoping that maybe that was a bad dream. Last night could have been nightmare, but we did somehow win despite having that feeling of dread. Despite O'Neill missing a chipshot (he was 18-of-22 last year), the offense doing nothing, and Morgan State imploding every time they got near the red zone.

Despite last night's performance, I don't see a 2-3 win season but I never predicted playoffs either. I was hoping that 7 wins as a max and that certainly looks far off even if you think (I do) that last night was a bit of a fluke offensively. This has to be a wake-up call for the offensive coaches. Very little adjustment last night and that's what's perplexing.

Even though the last scrimmage was pretty good, sounds like they struggled in practice this week. Not sure if they were focused on the task at hand or were thinking about Md. I guess why that is tough to start with Morgan State and have Maryland as the next game. No matter how much you tell the kids about the next six seconds, they are still human. As Rob said in the presser, to paraphrase that Morgan State didn't look this good on film. I'm guessing they totally underestimated the Bears on both sides of the ball. I'm going to watch the game again at some point and I wonder defensively if we even played that well or their mistakes (bad passes, drops, penalties) were their undoing.

On the good side, we had three sacks and held them to 3 of 14 on third downs. That's a lot better than last season's 48% rate allowed by the D on 3rd down. R-freshman Bryce Carter had one and transfer Grant Udinski from Davidson added a 1/2 sack. Carter had six tackles coming off the bench which is impressive for a r-freshman in his first game.

Let's also not forget that this was the first FCS  game for Leatherbury and first college game for Brent Richardson, Rodney Dorsey and Adrian Platt. Greenwood barely played at Kentucky other than special teams so expect a bit of a learning curve for the receivers. Jordan Waite was a OLB/DE and now is starting at FB. The tight ends other than Joe Green basically have no experience (why not play juco transfer Metise Moore?). What the coaches have to understand is that they need to rely on Shane if the offense is not moving. Not just running him out of the backfield but putting him in the slot with either C.J. or Platt or James Scott or David Bryant at RB.

• Like 1

For those of us who watched it on TV, could they show the salad dressing commercial one more time?!?! Holy smokes.  What a terrible broadcast.  The sideline reporter was hot though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Offensive line was one of the top assets of the National Championship team a few years ago (altho give some credit to West for making them look even better). Same coach (other Ambrose) for offense as then, though I don't know who was or is now the O-Line coach. But that's of course a key to establishing a running game, but also pass protection. So much of the focus on remediating the O in general should start the the line, IMHO.

Hey, I will take an ugly win over a good looking loss any day. We are 1-0. Rob will get things squared away this week in practice. All will be fine. This team will win a lot of games. You can quote me on that. Go tigers

• Like 1