• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
tu_fan

Skerry's Staff

Matt- what's your take on Skerry's staff?  Given how bad recruiting has been, and how awful we are on offense, are these guys simply yes men to Skerry's "defend and rebound" philosophy?  I get so tired of hearing that after each game and again, want to hear, just once him talk about 3 point shooting, assists and steals.....How about bringing in an AAU coach, someone younger, someone that can help recruit and change the style of play.  Perhaps they won't come here, but i'm on board with the masses that this style of basketball sucks.  I'm still not convinced that Skerry get's this, and suspect given a choice, he's going to opt for another gym rat goon rather than someone who can dribble, pass and shoot (as opposed to "defend and rebound").  Passing on Kurk Lee is a prime example of this!

And this was mentioned on an other post, but when is the last time we had an impact freshman?  As far as i can tell, he has NEVER had one.  Also frustrated w the roster management.  I'm sure there were plenty of reasons why Gorham isn't here, but still, why wasn't he starting last year over Thomas.  Same with Zane as a freshman - take the training wheels off of kids who can play, please.  Lastly, stop calling out Fobbs after a not so great game, at least publicly.  Without Fobbs this is a 3 win team.  He's essentially playing 1 on 5 each night, let's give him a break.......

44 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

Matt- what's your take on Skerry's staff?  Given how bad recruiting has been, and how awful we are on offense, are these guys simply yes men to Skerry's "defend and rebound" philosophy?  I get so tired of hearing that after each game and again, want to hear, just once him talk about 3 point shooting, assists and steals.....How about bringing in an AAU coach, someone younger, someone that can help recruit and change the style of play.  Perhaps they won't come here, but i'm on board with the masses that this style of basketball sucks.  I'm still not convinced that Skerry get's this, and suspect given a choice, he's going to opt for another gym rat goon rather than someone who can dribble, pass and shoot (as opposed to "defend and rebound").  Passing on Kurk Lee is a prime example of this!

And this was mentioned on an other post, but when is the last time we had an impact freshman?  As far as i can tell, he has NEVER had one.  Also frustrated w the roster management.  I'm sure there were plenty of reasons why Gorham isn't here, but still, why wasn't he starting last year over Thomas.  Same with Zane as a freshman - take the training wheels off of kids who can play, please.  Lastly, stop calling out Fobbs after a not so great game, at least publicly.  Without Fobbs this is a 3 win team.  He's essentially playing 1 on 5 each night, let's give him a break.......

Gorham was not a center. That was the issue on the roster last year. He was not a good defender, but Tunstall was 205 pounds and Big Al was really the only true center we had. We had no depth up front. Gorham started later in the season and put up 16 and 8 as the power forward spot for EK. He should have gotten more time but he starting and would have this year. 

Skerry constantly talks about adding skill and better guards. I'm at every press conference. Last offseason, they were working on skill work but you can only do so much with guys that aren't that skilled. That's the problem. You can go 6-2 instead of 6-6 at the 2 guard spot if the kid has good length. But as far as "defend and rebound" philosophy? That's fine but he knows he can't win with just that. He has to recruit better guards. I don't know enough about the assistants and what they do but it's the head coach who they are recruiting for. They were put in a bad situation last year and got Timberlake late probably more based on Kevin Clark, who coached with Timberlake's father. I think he could be the best recruit and would have been this year, but we'll never know. But they grabbed Betrand early. Maybe at the time, they thought he would back up Zane Martin and start by his junior season. So while some people want to say that the transfers are not excuses, they certainly threw a wrench into the recruiting process.

Skerry doesn't want to rely on freshmen. Morsell could have made an impact in his first year but he didn't play him until late. Same with Zane, who was raw but had talent. So sure, I wouldn't mind getting a guy like Toews from UNCW but those are few and far between in this. Now, we desperately are going to rely on a freshman to play right away at the point next season unless we go the juco or grad transfer route.

Skerry won't change his recruiting and style of play. We've been here before and asked numerous times. You can't expect someone who has been in grained in a particular style most of his career and expect them to change overnight. Won't happen, but there could be "tweaks" but not sure he would be open to that...

• Like 1

I disagree that impact freshman in the CAA are few & far between. Just this year alone you had Toews, Wynters & Audige (who scored in the teens against us the other night). I’m skeptical PS is going to land any this off-season. I hope he proves me wrong.

And after Ivory, Starr & Howard, please, please no JUCO PG!!!

Edited by TSU88

47 minutes ago, tualum said:

Skerry won't change his recruiting and style of play. We've been here before and asked numerous times. You can't expect someone who has been in grained in a particular style most of his career and expect them to change overnight. Won't happen, but there could be "tweaks" but not sure he would be open to that...

Look at his mentor Jaime Dixon. Hype every year at tcu and no ncaa tournies. 

It would help if he made a switch at associate head coach. Kevin’s been here a long time too. Would like an ex player on the staff as a dbo or something. Young enough who can relate to the players 

16 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I disagree that impact freshman in the CAA are few & far between. Just this year alone you had Toews, Wynters & Audige (who scored in the teens against us the other night). I’m skeptical PS is going to land any this off-season. I hope he proves me wrong.

And after Ivory, Starr & Howard, please, please no JUCO PG!!!

Like I said, few and far between. Difficult to find good freshmen in this league who can contribute away but sure, it would have been nice to be one of the few. I’m not saying Timberlake would have been as good as those  guys but it would have been nice to see him develop. As it turned out, he was highest scoring freshman this season, which I know isn’t saying much.

No one with a brain expected this team to do anything this year.  To NOT think that at some point during this throwaway season that the group would evaporate into what we saw against JMU is poor logic.  The fact that it took this long is amazing.

Skerry's first staff had Kenny Johnson (AAU Guy /DC) and Luke Murray (AAU Guy / NYC) along with a few others, but these were the recruiters.  Since then his staff has fallen off - pretty much off the deep end since 2014.  Kevin Clark is a tired old coach.  Shake up needs to happen.  

The way. I look at it, with the players we return next season, having an impact freshman isn’t a luxury, it’s a necessity. History has proven this coach isn’t going to bring in a good JUCO PG & he rarely brings in a grad transfer (Bilal Dixon & the big guy from Dayton. Am I forgetting anyone?) Otherwise, unless Dottin suddenly learns to shoot (it’s still shocking to me that a D1 PG is such a fundamentally poor shooter) we’ll start next season without a quality PG

And why we’re talking about recruiting, now that McNeil is graduating, it appears we won’t have anyone on the team from Baltimore next season.  We’ll also have no DC kids (Drayton is PG County, so I guess that’s sort of close to DC) & 1 Virginia kid (Thompson, the incoming freshman).

Just wondering if a local assistant with ties to the DMV would help us do a better job of recruiting what is supposed to be a fertile recruiting ground