• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
tu_fan

Skerry's Staff

10 minutes ago, BoogerJ said:

No one with a brain expected this team to do anything this year.  To NOT think that at some point during this throwaway season that the group would evaporate into what we saw against JMU is poor logic.  The fact that it took this long is amazing.

Skerry's first staff had Kenny Johnson (AAU Guy /DC) and Luke Murray (AAU Guy / NYC) along with a few others, but these were the recruiters.  Since then his staff has fallen off - pretty much off the deep end since 2014.  Kevin Clark is a tired old coach.  Shake up needs to happen.  

I thought Kenny Johnson left while Kennedy was here. I know his name came up before they hired Skerry. Waddell thought he wouldn’t be a good choice.

50 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

I thought Kenny Johnson left while Kennedy was here. I know his name came up before they hired Skerry. Waddell thought he wouldn’t be a good choice.

Johnson was here in Skerry's first year. Assistants moved on to take higher-paying jobs at high-major schools. Nothing wrong with that. But replacing them is key. I'm not going to be too critical of assistant coaches in hoops but ultimately, if this goes on longer and TL is still there, he's going to do the same thing he did to RA and that's force some moves on the staff. 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

unless Dottin suddenly learns to shoot (it’s still shocking to me that a D1 PG is such a fundamentally poor shooter) we’ll start next season without a quality PG

It's not just that Dottin is a poor shooter -- he's not even looking for an open teammate when he drives to the basket to put up those out-of-control/off-balance shots. Yes, he hit his first few on Saturday, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often. And that's bad coaching as much as it is a selfish player who's unrealistic about his ability.

I’ll extend it out farther...what did the coaches see in him that they valued him as a recruit? Presumably, his outside shooting fundamentals were there for the world to see. Was it because he got away with his bulling his way into the lane in prep school against 6’4” centers? Shouldn’t it have been apparent that wouldn’t work at this level?

Edited by TSU88

1 hour ago, TigerFan54 said:

It's not just that Dottin is a poor shooter -- he's not even looking for an open teammate when he drives to the basket to put up those out-of-control/off-balance shots. Yes, he hit his first few on Saturday, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often. And that's bad coaching as much as it is a selfish player who's unrealistic about his ability.

100% on target. Nothing like a selfish point guard who won't pass and doesn't realize he can't shoot past 3 feet. Dude has balls though but it's not helping the team.

5 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

Johnson was hired by Skerry, who along with Luke Murray, gave Towson a 1-2 punch with AAU coaches in DC and NYC.  Johnson was also the key to getting Benimon to Towson.  He left Towson to go to Indiana and then matriculated to Louisville and got swept up in the scandals with adidas while an assistant with Rick Pitino.  He is now an assistant coach at LaSalle.  https://goexplorers.com/news/2018/5/9/mens-basketball-assistant-coach-release.aspx

Don't forget Bruce Shingler who left and went to USC (South Carolina).  I agree that we need another guy but KJ, LM and BS were all here for a short term and are making big impacts in high major leagues.  I am not sure if that next guy is on the staff right now but I agree we need to find another guy of that magnitude to get the players everyone is coveting. 

• Like 1