• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

A few year-end stats

We tried 538 3-pointers & hit 177 of them (basically 33%).  We took on average 17 3 point shots a game & hit 6 of them. Meanwhile, our opponents took 811 3’s & hit 286 (109 more than us) which is 35%. So, our opponents on average took 26 3’s & hit 9 of them.

We had 310 assists to 373 turnovers. Our opponents had 457 assists to 316 turnovers.  So, we had 10 assists per game to 12 turnovers. Our opponents had 15 assists per game to 10 turnovers.  

Even better... Ja Morant (yes a great player and NBA lottery pick) has 300 assists by himself in 29 games this year (28.5 as he only played 16 minutes against a Skerry Special (D3)) Towson has a team in 31 games had 310 assists.

In the Skerry era we have only had 2 players average more than 2.8 assists a game, Benimon 3.6 in 13-14. and Walden 3.2 in 11-12

Fts attempted in the Skerry era: 647, 687, 934, 810, 868, 667, 513. Even shooting 60% of an additional 154 attempts from last year to this, nets you 92 more points. 3 per game...

• Like 1

Speaking of Ja Morant; poor Byron Hawkins sits out a year at Murray State and when he's finally ready to play he has to sit behind Morant and he's now finishing up at Bryant College.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:51 AM, TuTigers2012 said:

Even better... Ja Morant (yes a great player and NBA lottery pick) has 300 assists by himself in 29 games this year (28.5 as he only played 16 minutes against a Skerry Special (D3)) Towson has a team in 31 games had 310 assists.

In the Skerry era we have only had 2 players average more than 2.8 assists a game, Benimon 3.6 in 13-14. and Walden 3.2 in 11-12

Fts attempted in the Skerry era: 647, 687, 934, 810, 868, 667, 513. Even shooting 60% of an additional 154 attempts from last year to this, nets you 92 more points. 3 per game...

That’s an incredible stat about the assists.  Wasn’t skerry a guard at tufts?  Again - please shift the focus to assists and shooting at least for the guards 

• Like 1

Skerry wasn't just a point guard at Tufts, he set the school record for assists. (Though, at a brainy school like that, maybe the bar was low.) Regardless, you would think he'd stress passing/finding the open man...

52 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Skerry wasn't just a point guard at Tufts, he set the school record for assists. (Though, at a brainy school like that, maybe the bar was low.) Regardless, you would think he'd stress passing/finding the open man...

So you think he doesn't emphasize passing the ball? Finding players that can do more than shoot and have better skills would help. What does Howard do well? Shoot the three I guess. McNeill? Defend. Fobbs? Shoot it and drive some. Dottin? Drive and shoot righty. Betrand, not sure what his strength is on offense. In other words, it's time to find guys that are more skilled. When your best passer today is Sanders, you are in trouble. There is no good passer on this team but assists can also be overrated when you lack good shooters. Of course, your assists are down when you shoot 33% from the three and 42% of whatever it is from the field. I assume last year, our assists were up because we shot it better, even though Martin was a chucker and he did get to the line a ton.

I think some of these guys come into games and panic when they see pressure. Or see something different defensively. I know Skerry talked about how they would change defenses in pre-game, yet it appeared we were unprepared for the 1-3-1. Is that talent and lack of skill? Are they not being coached right? Next year, changes need to be made, not just in terms of getting more skilled players, but also they need to do more than just play man-to-man defense.

If you have long athletes like Gray and Tunstall, along with Solly, Betrand and Timberlake, why would you not apply some kind of pressure next season? Force some turnovers.  There's no freakin' reason to be ranked near the bottom of the country in pace of play. It's just boring basketball and if you are playing that style, you are giving to the fact that you don't have enough skilled players on offense. You are saying that you don't trust your point guards because an up-tempo game would mean a lot more turnovers (as in the Bahamas). 

So here we go again. So who will return? Fobbs. Solomon. Timberlake. Howard? Sanders? Betrand? Dottin? Drayton? Tunstall? Are we just replacing the two players who are graduating? Will there be one more to exit? Personally, I would like Howard to come back as a sixth-man type but more as a combo guard off the bench. They have to figure out if Juwan Gray starts right away at the 4? Or at the 3 if they move Fobbs to the 2. Does Tunstall move to the 5, assuming he returns and becomes a grad student? Can he add another 5-10 pounds? Or does Sanders start at the 5 and continue to have issue with fouls. Does Dottin improve his game enough to start at the 1 and hold off a freshman/juco point guard? Does Betrand move the the 3 with Timberlake starting at the 2 or backup 2? A lot of questions and I think more options than last season but the next 2-3 scholarships are gigantic.

So, here’s the thing; when you look at the pieces returning next season, not counting the 2 or 3 ships yet to be filled, we have 1 really good player (Fobbs) a bunch of role players (Dottin, Howard, Tunstall, Sanders, Drayton) & few unknown entities, who we hope can be more more than role players, but we don’t know for sure (Betrand, Timberlake, Solomon, Thompson & Gray). We’re all hoping Gray can be more than a role player, but that’s really all he was in 2 years at USD (and just because he played at USD, doesn’t mean he’s the next Puscia). 

I hate to be a gloomy Gus, but the returning group doesn’t fill me with a great deal of confidence, unless several of the returning players take quantum leaps AND Skerry sticks the landing on the remaining scholarships. Is it possible the stars can align & both these things happen? Well, maybe

Edited by TSU88

46 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

So, here’s the thing; when you look at the pieces returning next season, not counting the 2 or 3 ships yet to be filled, we have 1 really good player (Fobbs) a bunch of role players (Dottin, Howard, Tunstall, Sanders, Drayton) & few unknown entities, who we hope can be more more than role players, but we don’t know for sure (Betrand, Timberlake, Solomon, Thompson & Gray). We’re all hoping Gray can be more than a role player, but that’s really all he was in 2 years at USD (and just because he played at USD, doesn’t mean he’s the next Puscia). 

I hate to be a gloomy Gus, but the returning group doesn’t fill me with a great deal of confidence, unless several of the returning players take quantum leaps AND Skerry sticks the landing on the remaining scholarships. Is it possible the stars can align & both these things happen? Well, maybe

I have to see more of Gray but you have to look at the conference. That's part of the reason Pusica was so good with NE. Sad to say but the WCC is much better than the CAA. He had to play against BYU, Gonzaga and St. Mary's 2-3 times a year. He's not going to be a role player here. He's going to be the second option. It's not a question, it's a fact. Who else do they have that's better? He averaged 7.2ppg and 5.6rpg as a freshman. Shot 41% from 3-point range and he's 6-8, 215. I know, freshman season but if he's the 2nd option, he'll get more looks. No reason why he can't average 10-12ppg, 6rpg, 1+ steal at the worst at 45% FG, 38% 3pt.

Again, not saying he's Benimon. Of course, he isn't. He's different than our normal power forward that just rebounds and defends. There's a reason PS practically begged to get him eligible this season.

I suppose in retrospect it’s better he didn’t burn a year of eligibility this season. Might have been interesting to see if this past season might have turned out any different had Gray & Timberlake played, but we’ll never know. 

I guess I'll reserve judgement on Gray because I did have hopes on Sanders based on numbers and he didn't a lot different here than he did at Duquesne. I just think that they are different types of players. Gray's open court and stretch 4 abilities is something we've desperately needed for a long time. Our power forwards have been Tunstall, Gorham, Eddie Keith, Moto, T.J. and sure Benimon. None of them were really perimeter threats or great in the open floor.