• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Skerry Era by the numbers, Part I

5 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Of course not, but did Banks play?

Not 100% but he did play.  We also let a guy averaging 10 a game drop a career high 26 on us. He had 6 today 

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Not 100% but he did play.  We also let a guy averaging 10 a game drop a career high 26 on us. He had 6 today 

Sure, because Sanders was in foul trouble as usual and Thomas, our best post defender by far, was immobile. He was the difference. We went to double him late and he found Lewis for open looks. Or we went zone and that worked a little.

20 hours ago, TSU88 said:

124: total W’s

137: total L’s

123: total W’s since season 1

106: total L’s since season 1

114: total W’s vs D1 teams since season 1

15.5: Average W’s per year overall 

17.5: Average W’s per year since year 1

16: Average W’s per year over D1 teams since year 1

17: Average L’s per season overall 

15: Average L’s per season since year 1

68: total conference W’s overall 

67: total conference W’s since year 1

74: total conference L’s overall 

57: total conference L’s since year 1

8.5: Average conference W’s per year

9.5: Average conference W’s since year 1

9: Average conference L’s per year

8: Average conference L’s since year 1

0: Number of regular season conference titles 

0: Number of conference tournament titles 

0: Number of NIT appearances

0: Number of NCAA tournament appearances 

Bottom Line: Since year 2, our average season record vs D1 foes is 16-15

Our Average conference record since year 2 is 10-8

Our overall conference tournament record is 2-7; 2-6 since year one

Of the current CAA schools, with the exception of Elon, which did not join the CAA until 2014-15, TU is the only school in the Skerry era not to play in the conference tournament title game

Of the current CAA schools, only Elon has fewer conference tournament W’s since 2011.

I am not in much of a mood to defend Skerry after what I watched on Saturday. However, I will point out that in the timeframe you have decided to select for Skerry Towson has tied for the third-best conference record in the CAA. I would not trivialize approximately 10 wins per season in a conference play, but I will also say based on the current trend it loses its luster somewhat. 

Northeastern is 78-46 (.629), William & Mary 71-53 (.573), Hofstra 67-57 (.540), Towson 67-57 (.540), College of Charleston (.538), UNC-Wilmington 61-63 (.492), James Madison - 59-65 (.476), Delaware - 57-67 (.460), Elon - 36-54 (.400), Drexel - 45-79 (.363).

The conference tournament numbers are definitely horrible. Here they are since Skerry started: 

UNC-Wilmington (10-5,.667, two titles), College of Charleston (8-4,.667, one title), Northeastern (10-6,.625, one title), Delaware (8-6,.571, one title), William & Mary (7-8,.467, no titles), Hofstra (5-7, .471, no titles), James Madison (5-7,.471, one title), Drexel (4-8,.333, no titles), Towson (2-7,.222, no titles), Elon (1-5, .167, no titles). It is also worth nothing Elon's only conference tournament win came against Towson in 2015. 

As for the non-conference, I will take your word. Anecdotally I feel like Hofstra, College of Charleston and Northeastern have been good at this recently. William and Mary and UNC-Wilmington do a little better than the rest, and I would lump Towson in with Delaware, Drexel, Elon, and James Madison in terms of not grabbing great non-conference wins and sometimes scheduling light, but I would have to look deeper. 

As for a coach, I think their goals go like this. Quality conference record (Skerry has done alright at this, but is definitely going in the wrong direction), Conference Tournament (I not ultimately the measuring stick is getting to an NCAA Tournament, but it is too random to value over success during the regular season). I would put non-conference a distant third. It is important, but if the first two aspect are checked off it ultimately does not matter. If they are not checked off as we are saying here, it is a smaller part of the issue. 

Ultimately, Skerry has been an average coach in the CAA and he looks a lot better because Towson has been a way below average program. I agree with a lot of the negative sentiment, but also think there is something to build on player wise for this year. I do wish Skerry would adapt his style into something a lot more aesthetically pleasing to watch, but if we can get back on the winning track I ultimately don't care.

Again, my reason for posting is not to argue, but more to confirm and she further light on some of the stats that have been brought up here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Atleast we will return like 95% of our offense output and we all know this is a key off szn post the Zane and Justin departures. Next year I dont think any of us will be in the mood for excuses. 

48 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I am not in much of a mood to defend Skerry after what I watched on Saturday. However, I will point out that in the timeframe you have decided to select for Skerry Towson has tied for the third-best conference record in the CAA. I would not trivialize approximately 10 wins per season in a conference play, but I will also say based on the current trend it loses its luster somewhat. 

Northeastern is 78-46 (.629), William & Mary 71-53 (.573), Hofstra 67-57 (.540), Towson 67-57 (.540), College of Charleston (.538), UNC-Wilmington 61-63 (.492), James Madison - 59-65 (.476), Delaware - 57-67 (.460), Elon - 36-54 (.400), Drexel - 45-79 (.363).

The conference tournament numbers are definitely horrible. Here they are since Skerry started: 

UNC-Wilmington (10-5,.667, two titles), College of Charleston (8-4,.667, one title), Northeastern (10-6,.625, one title), Delaware (8-6,.571, one title), William & Mary (7-8,.467, no titles), Hofstra (5-7, .471, no titles), James Madison (5-7,.471, one title), Drexel (4-8,.333, no titles), Towson (2-7,.222, no titles), Elon (1-5, .167, no titles). It is also worth nothing Elon's only conference tournament win came against Towson in 2015. 

As for the non-conference, I will take your word. Anecdotally I feel like Hofstra, College of Charleston and Northeastern have been good at this recently. William and Mary and UNC-Wilmington do a little better than the rest, and I would lump Towson in with Delaware, Drexel, Elon, and James Madison in terms of not grabbing great non-conference wins and sometimes scheduling light, but I would have to look deeper. 

As for a coach, I think their goals go like this. Quality conference record (Skerry has done alright at this, but is definitely going in the wrong direction), Conference Tournament (I not ultimately the measuring stick is getting to an NCAA Tournament, but it is too random to value over success during the regular season). I would put non-conference a distant third. It is important, but if the first two aspect are checked off it ultimately does not matter. If they are not checked off as we are saying here, it is a smaller part of the issue. 

Ultimately, Skerry has been an average coach in the CAA and he looks a lot better because Towson has been a way below average program. I agree with a lot of the negative sentiment, but also think there is something to build on player wise for this year. I do wish Skerry would adapt his style into something a lot more aesthetically pleasing to watch, but if we can get back on the winning track I ultimately don't care.

Again, my reason for posting is not to argue, but more to confirm and she further light on some of the stats that have been brought up here. 

All of those teams below us have had coaching changes within that time period besides Elon...  Everyone besides Elon and ourselves has made a CAA Championship game.

Don't give two s*its about his style, if it looks good or not, if it translated into winning in the tournament, and it has not.

Conference Tournament: Wins 2 seed vs 7    3 seed vs 6

Losses: 2 seed vs 3.  9 seed vs 8   3 seed vs 6   3 seed vs 2   5 seed vs 4    9 seed vs 8.

The stats I posted are purely objective; they are, after all, the stats Skerry has accumulated. It is up to the reader to subjectivity interpret them as he or she wishes. I did not skew the stats in any way. In fact, I purposely left off year 1 of Skerry’s tenure in fairness to him.

My interpretation of the numbers is as follows: Since year 2, Skerry’s avg record vs D1 opponents is 16-15; his record vs OOC opponents with winning records is I believe 10-27; his conference tournament record is 2-7. I have my own views as to what these numbers mean. You are free to have your own views as well. 

If one is to be realistic, in the CAA, each team plays approximately 25 exhibition games. The only games that matter are tournament games. The Orioles can win 2/3 of all their spring training games, but who cares. Same with CAA basketball. One bid league period. That is the only way to measure success. 

3 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

If one is to be realistic, in the CAA, each team plays approximately 25 exhibition games. The only games that matter are tournament games. The Orioles can win 2/3 of all their spring training games, but who cares. Same with CAA basketball. One bid league period. That is the only way to measure success. 

This is true, 2-7 record hurts the supporters case, but check out another thread on here.  The CAA is almost always chalk, so winning more in the regular season does matter for a better seed. No team is going 4 games in 4 days.

To discount the regular season, by arguing only the conference tournament matters, is to paint with too broad a brush, I think. The regular season is important, not only, as TU2012 points out, for seeding in the tournament, but it is also important in terms of fan support/revenue & recruiting.