• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Towson football report

I'll be honest, I have a lot of work to do editing late on a Friday night and the last thing I want to do is get 4-5 hours of sleep and watch football practice in cold weather at 8am for a free website with little interest. No offense to the people that are interested, but the lack of a spring game, no Flacco and with Miller playing with the second string has me in a meh mood. So getting there at 9am instead of 8 and watching 35 minutes on Saturday because they cut it short, has me wondering if it's even worth it. No spring game due to a very thin offensive line and weather issues (who would come out in the winter for a spring game). There are concerns but they have to be addressed in the summer.

So seeing Miller and Vinnie Schaffer screams out one thing. Our potential starting nose guard has a knee injury. Can Gibbs play the spot? How is Tibo? Can Marcus Bowman and Bryce Carter play 3-4 ends? I think we have to add one more big body up front on the DL and at least two on the offensive line. Haven't talked to Rob yet so hopefully I'll get over there and get an interview. It's interesting and a bit worrisome seeing him on the sidelines as the OC and still trying to run practice. I know a lot of head coaches call plays so it's not unusual.

Miller is the future. He's not there yet but I his leadership and accuracy is going to make him a premier qb. He can also move well, despite having that huge frame. Stover isn't bad and is becoming more adept at managing the game and making the short throws. It's not the worst thing for Flacco to sit out and let the younger guys run the team. The other thing that is distracting is the numbers that aren't right even though I was emailed the right roster. Kobe Young is 19 but we also have a huge WR, who is 19 I believe is the big kid is Daniel Thompson (6-3, 215), who was listed as 26. Another reason it's tough to cover the spring.

But seriously like D'Argo Hunter and Ja'Len Elliott at WR. Not sure where they play after Leatherbury, Jabari Allen, and Brent Richardson. Sure, Richardson could lose time if he continues to struggle with drops. It's tough to judge the defense as they are once again adjusting to a new coach and scheme. And they are playing against a rebuilt offensive line with Cheripko at right tackle, Alex Desire at right guard and Brendan Cassells at center. I doubt that all three will start. Maybe Cheripko at right guard. Who knows. Flacco makes this team go. What they really need is to improve inside the 10-yard line. Better play-calling, better blocking and use a FB.

Forgot to mention Chris Greaves and Pitt transfer Darian Street at WR. I like Greaves if he can stay healthy. I don't know we have a superstar in terms of NFL potential but Allen and Leatherbury are damn good. Offense should be similar to last season. But they must get better inside the 10 and well, defense is a major question mark. Too early to tell whether new DC is going to make a difference.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for everything Mat. I know it seems pointless at times to cover the team and even if I don’t always reply I always read every update. Thanks for all the info as usual. 

Appreciate it. Just frustrated that I can't do a decent report in the spring for the first time in many years because they are going so damn early and the weather is lame. I might have to get my ass up early in the middle of the week and see a practice before it's over.

@mat1992I'll 2nd or 3rd that. I read everything you post and look forward to each new one. I am a little confused and disappointed by the spring schedule and lack of a game as well. Without an actual game to go see you are all we (I) have to get my fix....so thanks! 

Edited by LeSabre_Tooth

On 3/10/2019 at 8:26 PM, TUTigers said:

Thanks for everything Mat. I know it seems pointless at times to cover the team and even if I don’t always reply I always read every update. Thanks for all the info as usual. 

My feelings exactly. I am making it a goal to participate more on these forums. 

Like everyone else, I thank you for your time and dedication. Does anyone associated with the program ever express their appreciation?

Also, at what event were those awards given out? Is there a spring banquet?