• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Best backcourts in school history

Somebody brought up Jamaal Gilchrist the other day and I thought he played (sadly) in one of the best backcourts in recent memory. The Texas A&M transfer played on one of the worst teams in school history on the 2002-03 team and led them with 10.6 points playing next to Brian Allen (6.4ppg, 3.6apg). That team went 4-24 and 1-17 in the league. The next team went 8-21 and 4-14 in the CAA, but Gilchrist and Mike Green (10.2ppg, 4.4apg, 4.9rpg) compared one of our best backcourts.

1)Kurk Lee/Devin Boyd(26ppg/13.7ppg) 1988-90

2)Devin Boyd/Terrance Jacobs (20.7ppg/15.9ppg) 1990-91

3)Devin Boyd/Scooter Alexander (23ppg/19.3ppg), 1992-93

4)Terrance Jacobs/Terrance Alexander (23.1ppg,7.9rpg/14.8ppg), 1991-92

5)Gary Neal/C.C. Williams   2006-07 (25.3ppg/6ppg, 4.1apg)

6)Bill Leonard/Marty Johnson (1986-87) (14.9ppg/14.8ppg)

7)Marty Johnson/Tommy Jones (17.6ppg,5.0apg/8.0ppg) 1987-88

8)Mike Green/Jamaal Gilchrist (10.2ppg, 4.4apg/12.2ppg)

9)Gary Neal/Tim Crossin (26.1ppg/8.9ppg, 5.0apg), 2005-06

10)Mike Burwell/Four McGlynn/Ralph Guthrie (10.9ppg/9.2ppg/11.4ppg) 2013-14

11)Byron Hawkins/Mike Morsell (13.2ppg/13ppg) 2015-16

(Ralph Blalock played small forward so didn't include him and Scooter because point guard was Michael Keyes and later Quinton Moody).

For those who are too young to remember Ralph Blalock, he was only about 6-2, 205 with huge hands. Could jump out of the gym and really could shoot it. Not a great ballhandler though but in one year, shot 44% from three-point range and shot 50% FG for his career. One of the most underrated players in Towson history.

22 minutes ago, El Tigre Oro said:

1996 team would’ve been better without Scooter. Not enough balls to go around.

I know. He could have been great had he: 1)Learned how to shot outside 15 feet. 2)Became a point guard that actually passed the rock. I nicknamed him Shooter in his freshman year when he took over for an injured Devin Boyd.

18 minutes ago, TUvet said:

1978 Roger Dickens and Brian Matthews

I prefer Division I but sure, one is a HOFer and the other should be.

That ship sailed a long time ago. But, since we’re in the wayback machine, if Mason & Amayo & Benimon, Damas... played together, Skerry would be long gone. Although, Amayo’s best year was only 8ppg at Iona. Also throw in Dion Jones, who transferred out of TU to Monmouth 

Edited by TSU88