• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Tony Shaver

Actually, the earlier post was to the effect that W&M presumably has many wealthy donors to its athletic fund, not that its a private school 

8 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Actually, the earlier post was to the effect that W&M presumably has many wealthy donors to its athletic fund, not that its a private school 

No, just correcting the below statement.  If a school like WM can axe their coach, there is no excuse why others can't.  If you want them gone bad enough, you can make it work and "find the money" needed. Problem is we are stuck in perpetual mediocrity and most seem okay with that. I think that letting go of a coach in a situation like this (or next year, after another 15 win season and first round exit) that complacency is not accepted here and maybe light a fire under the asses of everyone else in the athletic department and university as a whole.  To bad that our AD is as soft as it comes, and wouldn't do any of that.  It's the constant, "it's worked ok before, lets just keep it going," SOT mindset that has plagued the university top to bottom.

17 hours ago, sr16 said:

Overhaul - but agreed with someone else's point as a private institution they may just have more funds to work with. 

17 hours ago, sr16 said:

• Like 1

Ah I thought they were - but I guess the wealthier donor thing was the point.. Also probably a more engaged alumni base

Is anyone else getting tired of TuTigers2012?   Every comment is a complaint, nothing is good enough.  If you're not making the NCAAs you must be fired.  Get a grip, we are a mid-major college basketball program in metropolitan area at a former commuter school (maybe still?) with little to no history of success in the lifetime of any player PS has had an opportunity to recruit.

Without debate PS has been TUs best men's bball coach in 30 nearly years.  I'm not familiar with what Truax did.

Outside of his first season, the team has an overall winning record and generally competes.  The team is not an embarrassment both on the court and off the court.  At least from what I can tell, the players go to class and get decent grades.  Moreover, if/when a coaching change occurs we have at least established the fact that TU is not a conference doormat and will not be on academic probation.

In 8 seasons (can't count the first) he's given us 2 teams that had a great opportunity to dance 12/13 and 13/14.  Unfortunately the prior coaching staff/NCAA fucked over the 12/13 team and the 13/14 team did not produce in the CAA tournament.

Comparing Shaver to PS:  

W&M parted ways with Shaver after 16 seasons and although he had some recent success, he really can't hold a candle to what PS has done. 

The year before Shaver took over W&M they were 12-16 (7-11 in the CAA).  The year before PS took over TU was 4-26 (0-18 in the CAA).  

In Shaver's first 10 seasons, he produced 2 winning seasons (17-16 in 07/08 and 22-11 in 09/10) and a total of 57 conference wins.  

In PSs first 8 seasons (including the first season when cupboard was empty) he produced 4 winning seasons and 68 conference wins (and that's over less CAA games due to conference changes).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BK_Brian said:

Is anyone else getting tired of TuTigers2012?   Every comment is a complaint, nothing is good enough.  If you're not making the NCAAs you must be fired.  Get a grip, we are a mid-major college basketball program in metropolitan area at a former commuter school (maybe still?) with little to no history of success in the lifetime of any player PS has had an opportunity to recruit.

Without debate PS has been TUs best men's bball coach in 30 nearly years.  I'm not familiar with what Truax did.

Outside of his first season, the team has an overall winning record and generally competes.  The team is not an embarrassment both on the court and off the court.  At least from what I can tell, the players go to class and get decent grades.  Moreover, if/when a coaching change occurs we have at least established the fact that TU is not a conference doormat and will not be on academic probation.

In 8 seasons (can't count the first) he's given us 2 teams that had a great opportunity to dance 12/13 and 13/14.  Unfortunately the prior coaching staff/NCAA fucked over the 12/13 team and the 13/14 team did not produce in the CAA tournament.

Comparing Shaver to PS:  

W&M parted ways with Shaver after 16 seasons and although he had some recent success, he really can't hold a candle to what PS has done. 

The year before Shaver took over W&M they were 12-16 (7-11 in the CAA).  The year before PS took over TU was 4-26 (0-18 in the CAA).  

In Shaver's first 10 seasons, he produced 2 winning seasons (17-16 in 07/08 and 22-11 in 09/10) and a total of 57 conference wins.  

In PSs first 8 seasons (including the first season when cupboard was empty) he produced 4 winning seasons and 68 conference wins (and that's over less CAA games due to conference changes).

This

31 minutes ago, BK_Brian said:

Comparing Shaver to PS:  

Yawn.  Winning more than 2 games in 8 conference tournaments is not asking to much, especially with 3 of them in your backyard. So you are saying that because we were a small little commuter school, with bad sports, we should just be okay with that?  FGCU, Loyola, UMBC, SFA and others haven't had success in current players lifetime either until a few years ago..

The team is not an embarrassment and has been documented numerous times of the work they have done in and out of the classroom. This is and has been commended. Skerry is a nice guy, but has taken this program as far as he can.  The CAA is about guard play and player development from freshmen to seniors. Neither of those are Skerry or his staffs strengths. 

If you want to compare Skerry and Shaver thats fine, but its apples and oranges.  Shaver's first few years were in a good conference.  Skerry has had the luck of not coaching in the heyday of the CAA with ODU, VCU, and George Mason.  Facilities, ease of acceptance, funds, etc. you name it and he has had the advantage. 

Also, for as much as everyone blames Kennedy and co for being ineligible, the AD and previous regime are just as much to blame.  "No money" to remove him earlier leaves a lame duck coach with the inability to recruit or frankly give a sh*t as he knows he is out the door. (that is wrong and the easy way out, but thats what happened).  Its also easier to pass classes when you have academic advisers and tutors which one staff had and the other did not.  The funding of the program going from a D2 level to a D1 makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

I won't comment on TuTigers2012 and every one on this board has differing opinions on the state of Towson athletics and my opinion is different from one week to the next, but the bottom line here and to other threads...I don't care how Skerry compares to Shaver or any other coach.  I don't care how many wins Towson has compared to the other 9 schools in the Colonial.  I lost count of how many f-bombs I threw at the TV when we lost to Madison.  All I care about is Towson making it to the big dance again and again and again.  No sport at Towson has the opportunity to be the front porch of the University all around the country like Towson men's basketball.  I truly appreciate all the research done to pull together stats left and right, but bottom line is that Towson has to make it to the tourney.  We can still graduate players and lead the country in community service when making it to the tournament. Those things will simply complement the fact that Towson has an excellent basketball program.  I'll continue to dream.

• Like 2

In defense of 2012...  he cares and is a diehard fan. I may not agree with him however he makes valid points and gets me thinking as a fan. 

I truly see both sides.  We all want to win and it does suck when our neighbor is winning and shows us up.  

We are all frustrated and want more from our program.  

Sometimes a change is needed and I saw this first hand out here with the University of SF.   Rex Walters cleaned up the program after academic issues etc.  Built the foundation.  Then Kyle Smith came in and took it farther however still more needed. 

I’m ok with giving PS one more season. I’m also ok with cutting ties and bringing in fresh blood.  This is the sporting landscape of 2019 now. What have you done for me lately. 

• Like 1

Definitely a "what have you done for me lately" mentality. I am also content with having him around for next year (not like its any of our choices), but I am hopeful for next season given what we saw and hoping for a couple more pieces + Gray. 

29 minutes ago, Tigerone94 said:

I won't comment on TuTigers2012 and every one on this board has differing opinions on the state of Towson athletics and my opinion is different from one week to the next, but the bottom line here and to other threads...I don't care how Skerry compares to Shaver or any other coach.  I don't care how many wins Towson has compared to the other 9 schools in the Colonial.  I lost count of how many f-bombs I threw at the TV when we lost to Madison.  All I care about is Towson making it to the big dance again and again and again.  No sport at Towson has the opportunity to be the front porch of the University all around the country like Towson men's basketball.  I truly appreciate all the research done to pull together stats left and right, but bottom line is that Towson has to make it to the tourney.  We can still graduate players and lead the country in community service when making it to the tournament. Those things will simply complement the fact that Towson has an excellent basketball program.  I'll continue to dream.

Can you say overkill and redundant?