• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Tony Shaver

15 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

In defense of 2012...  he cares and is a diehard fan. I may not agree with him however he makes valid points and gets me thinking as a fan. 

We need all the posters here we can get, especially passionate ones. Don’t always agree with him, but it would be boring on here if everyone always agreed with everyone else, except in my case, since I’m always right 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BK_Brian said:

Is anyone else getting tired of TuTigers2012?   Every comment is a complaint, nothing is good enough.  If you're not making the NCAAs you must be fired.  Get a grip, we are a mid-major college basketball program in metropolitan area at a former commuter school (maybe still?) with little to no history of success in the lifetime of any player PS has had an opportunity to recruit.

Without debate PS has been TUs best men's bball coach in 30 nearly years.  I'm not familiar with what Truax did.

Outside of his first season, the team has an overall winning record and generally competes.  The team is not an embarrassment both on the court and off the court.  At least from what I can tell, the players go to class and get decent grades.  Moreover, if/when a coaching change occurs we have at least established the fact that TU is not a conference doormat and will not be on academic probation.

In 8 seasons (can't count the first) he's given us 2 teams that had a great opportunity to dance 12/13 and 13/14.  Unfortunately the prior coaching staff/NCAA fucked over the 12/13 team and the 13/14 team did not produce in the CAA tournament.

Comparing Shaver to PS:  

W&M parted ways with Shaver after 16 seasons and although he had some recent success, he really can't hold a candle to what PS has done. 

The year before Shaver took over W&M they were 12-16 (7-11 in the CAA).  The year before PS took over TU was 4-26 (0-18 in the CAA).  

In Shaver's first 10 seasons, he produced 2 winning seasons (17-16 in 07/08 and 22-11 in 09/10) and a total of 57 conference wins.  

In PSs first 8 seasons (including the first season when cupboard was empty) he produced 4 winning seasons and 68 conference wins (and that's over less CAA games due to conference changes).

Come on now. The man makes valid points and simply gives his opinion.  No need to get personal. I happen to agree with him the majority of times. Especially the idea that Skerry ball has reached its ceiling and most fans including myself are looking to move to the next level. Great guy and graduates kids on time but unfortunately this is a business about wins and success..

Edited by tualum

1 hour ago, sr16 said:

Definitely a "what have you done for me lately" mentality. I am also content with having him around for next year (not like its any of our choices), but I am hopeful for next season given what we saw and hoping for a couple more pieces + Gray. 

Has anyone observed Gray in practice?  Will he be a solid contributor?

6 minutes ago, tualum said:

Come on now. The man makes valid points and simply gives his opinion.  No need to get personal. I happen to agree with him the majority of times. Especially the idea that Skerry ball has reached its ceiling and most fans including myself are looking to move to the next level. Great guy and graduates kids on time but unfortunately this is a business about wins and success..

I guess I disagree that this is simply a business.  If it was a business, then they should be paying players and if they start paying players it would likely crush any chance TU has of succeeding.

16 minutes ago, BK_Brian said:

Has anyone observed Gray in practice?  Will he be a solid contributor?

He will be a solid contributor. The question is whether he will be better than Sanders, who was a disappointment. He's a lot more skilled. He's 6-8, long, athletic and up to 225 and can shoot the three. How will he fit? Can he be a star? I don't think he'll be a star like another San Diego transfer (Pusica) but solid number two scorer in the 12 and 6 range. Also heard Timberlake put on 12 pounds so that's a plus.

It's always tough judging these transfers who are sitting out. They basically are playing on the scout team and they are kind of cruising knowing they won't be playing. Want to see him with the starters next season.

25 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

He will be a solid contributor. The question is whether he will be better than Sanders, who was a disappointment. He's a lot more skilled. He's 6-8, long, athletic and up to 225 and can shoot the three. How will he fit? Can he be a star? I don't think he'll be a star like another San Diego transfer (Pusica) but solid number two scorer in the 12 and 6 range. Also heard Timberlake put on 12 pounds so that's a plus.

It's always tough judging these transfers who are sitting out. They basically are playing on the scout team and they are kind of cruising knowing they won't be playing. Want to see him with the starters next season.

Did Benimon stand out in the year he redshirted?

40 minutes ago, BK_Brian said:

I guess I disagree that this is simply a business.  If it was a business, then they should be paying players and if they start paying players it would likely crush any chance TU has of succeeding.

It is for everyone involved, even if the players "aren't being paid." (which I won't get into here, as it seems we have differing viewpoints on that as well).  Players leave, coaches leave, to do whats best for them.  It's how to get to the next level and keep climbing the ladder.  Look at Chris Mack, he left his Alma mater to go get paid at Louisville.

1 minute ago, BK_Brian said:

Yes, he was a monster but remember he stood out against some terrible players. Worse than what we had this year. But sure, he was CAA POY twice for a reason. Burwell stood out as well and I thought he would be nearly as good as Benimon but he couldn't shoot consistently. 

28 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

If he can shoot and spread the court that is really good. Hopefully our players cut and move enough and he can find them on passes.

We may not be the biggest team next year, in bulk, any chance we go to a match-up zone because of our length?

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Yes, he was a monster but remember he stood out against some terrible players. Worse than what we had this year. But sure, he was CAA POY twice for a reason. Burwell stood out as well and I thought he would be nearly as good as Benimon but he couldn't shoot consistently. 

4 minutes ago, BK_Brian said:

Benimon and Burwell dominated 5 on 5's in practice their red-shirt year. They did so with 3 walk-ons and Flash.