• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Tony Shaver

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

It is for everyone involved, even if the players "aren't being paid." (which I won't get into here, as it seems we have differing viewpoints on that as well).  Players leave, coaches leave, to do whats best for them.  It's how to get to the next level and keep climbing the ladder.  Look at Chris Mack, he left his Alma mater to go get paid at Louisville.

I realize there is a business aspect to it and coaches leave, etc.  I also realize and understand the arguments that players should be compensated.  The problem is that it becomes a slippery slope if you start paying players.  Who gets paid?  Only revenue producing sports?  Do women and men get the same amount?  What about field hockey, tennis, track and field?  How do you justify paying some athletes, but not all.

At the same time, I wish the NCAA would lighten up on the restrictions they place on players that want to transfer, etc.  With limits, players should be able to leave, especially if a coach leaves, etc. I can go on all day with this.

5 minutes ago, BK_Brian said:

I realize there is a business aspect to it and coaches leave, etc.  I also realize and understand the arguments that players should be compensated.  The problem is that it becomes a slippery slope if you start paying players.  Who gets paid?  Only revenue producing sports?  Do women and men get the same amount?  What about field hockey, tennis, track and field?  How do you justify paying some athletes, but not all.

At the same time, I wish the NCAA would lighten up on the restrictions they place on players that want to transfer, etc.  With limits, players should be able to leave, especially if a coach leaves, etc. I can go on all day with this.

Agreed. Especially if a coach leaves, the player should be able to transfer anywhere they want to and not sit out.

Charles Barkley had something on them being paid the other day. "I’ve heard these idiots say, ‘why don’t we let them sell their likeness?’ That’s great if you’re a star. Let me tell you something If I’m a big fat offensive lineman and the QB is selling his jersey and he’s getting commercials, and the RB, and I’m actually doing all the work, how do you think that’s gonna go over in the locker room?,"

11 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Agreed. Especially if a coach leaves, the player should be able to transfer anywhere they want to and not sit out.

Charles Barkley had something on them being paid the other day. "I’ve heard these idiots say, ‘why don’t we let them sell their likeness?’ That’s great if you’re a star. Let me tell you something If I’m a big fat offensive lineman and the QB is selling his jersey and he’s getting commercials, and the RB, and I’m actually doing all the work, how do you think that’s gonna go over in the locker room?,"

It will go over the same way it goes over in “professional” sports. You get paid what you are worth.....what you financially bring to the program. If you don’t like what you are paid, go to a schoo” that will pay you more, if you can find it. That is the way the world works.

15 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

This is how it starts. Can Knight be far behind?

Depends if he’s graduating in 3 years or not. Pro prospect overseas may not want to wait another year and sit out.  Millon is in year 4 after transferring to bc and May be gone

My guess is Knight does what ZM did last year, & puts his name in for the draft. He gets an evaluation of his stock; if he gets good feedback, he might bolt. Otherwise, he simply withdraws his name & stays at W&M for his senior year, or looks into grad transfer, assuming he’s going to graduate before the fall semester. Seems to me W&M wants to hire new coach ASAP, to try to have him plead with Knight to stay, & to hit the recruiting trail. I think Millon is team captain, so I guess he stays. 

I noticed on their board they were looking at JT III as a possible replacement. If you want basically the same offense and a guy who played and coached in the Ivy League, he would be a pretty good replacement. Failed at Georgetown at least the last few years and had some really good early success. 

As for Pierce, I don't think he's much better than a very solid mid-major player. His three-point shooting (32.6%) and free throw shooting (59%) took a huge nosedive from last season when it was 42% 3pt and 79% FT. I would think he'd end up at an A-10 team or head to a school in Illinois where he's from. 

He may have battled injury this past season. Still, 15ppg, 9 boards & 4 assists ain’t bad. It’s a significant loss for W&M.