• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

In other CAA news

Cameron Brown, W&M’s prize recruit out of Roosevelt High in PG County, has reopened his recruitment, though he’s left the door open to staying with W&M once a new coach is hired 

New W&M coach is an assistant from George Mason named Dane Fischer. Some unhappy folks on their board, who wanted John Thompson III, Nathan Davis from Bucknell, or Jason Williford, UVA Assistant Coach. 

It’ll be interesting to see if he can keep any of the players who’ve entered the transfer portal

Williford would have been a good hire. Frankly, if I were a W&M fan, I’d be asking myself how is this new guy an upgrade over Shaver, other than he’s younger. 

Just now, TSU88 said:

Williford would have been a good hire. Frankly, if I were a W&M fan, I’d be asking myself how is this new guy an upgrade over Shaver, other than he’s younger. 

That's what you have to wonder when any team let's someone go.  It may not be the best but keep what you have may be better than what you get.  It is not as easy as "fire that guy" or "get rid of this guy."  Only time will tell.

Except she may not have gotten “her guy” (Williford for example) but may have gotten “Mr. Right Now” instead of “Mr. Right.”

57 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

That's what you have to wonder when any team let's someone go.  It may not be the best but keep what you have may be better than what you get.  It is not as easy as "fire that guy" or "get rid of this guy."  Only time will tell.

Sometimes coaches and staffs get stale and old (ahem) and its time for a change. Granted, with years on his contract and the talent had coming back/in, I would have let him get one more go around with them. But she didn't want to be stuck in purgatory and say they win the regular season next year and choke in the CAA's, do you offer an extension or fire him? Can't have coaches coaching and recruiting with 1-2 years left, it is next to impossible, especially at the mid major level (see end of the PK era(or))

She also got/forced Laycock to retiree, WM football has been down recently.  Athletics is growing younger, and sometimes when older coaches, who have gotten you as far as they can and or plateaued, its time to cut ties and move in a different direction. 

The moral to the story, as it relates to us, is that if/when you fire a coach, you better get an upgrade with the new hire. This guy Fischer may be the next Coach K for all I know, but on paper it’s debatable whether he’s an upgrade over Shaver, even though he’s younger.

• Like 2

Without knowing much of this fellow from Mason, the AD has to make a decision on the style of basketball she wants. Perhaps Paul Westphal/LMU up and down the court or more defense oriented Skerryball. Often the hire is based on the style the AD wants