• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

In other CAA news

LJ Owens (their PG from Annapolis) apparently is gone too.

To recap, they’ve lost Pierce, Milon, Audige, Owens & Brown (recruit from PG County who de-committed & is now going to St. Joseph). That’s a helluva lot of talent. Knight has until 5/29 to decide if he’s leaving his name in the NBA draft. He didn’t get an invite to the combine (neither did JWF from Hofstra, which is ridiculous). I doubt Knight gets drafted, so he can go G-League, Europe, or come back to a shell of a W&M team. I guess he could also transfer, but he’d have to sit out a year &would only have a year of eligibility left after sitting out.

While I have no sympathy for W&M (as I’m sure most of their supporters had no sympathy for us when ZM & Gorham bolted) I will say this-mid majors like TU, W&M & many others have basically been reduced to being farm teams for P5 schools. As soon as a kid at a mid-major has a good freshman or sophomore season, the P5’s come swooping in. It’s a lazy way for the P5’s to recruit, but successful nonetheless. Even if the kid they cherry pick won’t be a starter, he’ll be in the rotation in any event.                

From now on, any time one of our recruits has a good freshman or sophomore season, we’ll be looking over our shoulder waiting for the possibility of him transferring.

ZM & Gorham; Pierce & Audige; the guy from UNCW who went to Arkansas; Gresham (NE) to Georgia; Ahmir (Drexel) to Minnesota.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

To recap, they’ve lost Pierce, Milon, Audige, Owens & Brown (recruit from PG County who de-committed & is now going to St. Joseph). That’s a helluva lot of talent. Knight has until 5/29 to decide if he’s leaving his name in the NBA draft. He didn’t get an invite to the combine (neither did JWF from Hofstra, which is ridiculous). I doubt Knight gets drafted, so he can go G-League, Europe, or come back to a shell of a W&M team. I guess he could also transfer, but he’d have to sit out a year &would only have a year of eligibility left after sitting out.

While I have no sympathy for W&M (as I’m sure most of their supporters had no sympathy for us when ZM & Gorham bolted) I will say this-mid majors like TU, W&M & many others have basically been reduced to being farm teams for P5 schools. As soon as a kid at a mid-major has a good freshman or sophomore season, the P5’s come swooping in. It’s a lazy way for the P5’s to recruit, but successful nonetheless. Even if the kid they cherry pick won’t be a starter, he’ll be in the rotation in any event.                

From now on, any time one of our recruits has a good freshman or sophomore season, we’ll be looking over our shoulder waiting for the possibility of him transferring.

ZM & Gorham; Pierce & Audige; the guy from UNCW who went to Arkansas; Gresham (NE) to Georgia; Ahmir (Drexel) to Minnesota.

Sad but true. 

31 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

It's like the mid-major version of One and Done.  Instead of going pro, the player comes in for one year and then goes to a Power 5.

These kids using low-to-mid majors as lily pads, to leapfrog to bigger programs, should serve as a reminder of the whole business aspect of college sports. The schools (including TU) are using these kids to hopefully bring them success on the field, which translates (or can translate) to success on the ledger sheet. The kids are using the schools to get a free education &, in many cases, to showcase themselves to bigger programs.

18 hours ago, TSU88 said:

These kids using low-to-mid majors as lily pads, to leapfrog to bigger programs, should serve as a reminder of the whole business aspect of college sports. The schools (including TU) are using these kids to hopefully bring them success on the field, which translates (or can translate) to success on the ledger sheet. The kids are using the schools to get a free education &, in many cases, to showcase themselves to bigger programs.

Now that the kids are doing this, we get all of the sad but true stories. This is what college administrators have been doing for years. AD’s, like the the one we had before TL, spend like drunken sailors, drive programs broke in order to have a year or two of progress and then head to a P5 school. The admins are using the mid major mentality to get to “the dance”, to showcase themselves for bigger programs. Place the blame where it belongs. These kids are just playing the system the way admins have for years

• Like 1

LJ Owens transfers from W&M to UMBC. W&M fans must be apoplectic. Someone on there board referred to UMBC as a “glorified community college.” 

What will be interesting is if Odom will even still be coaching at UMBC in the fall of 2020, when Owens will start playing after his sit out year

3 hours ago, TSU88 said:

LJ Owens transfers from W&M to UMBC. W&M fans must be apoplectic. Someone on there board referred to UMBC as a “glorified community college.” 

What will be interesting is if Odom will even still be coaching at UMBC in the fall of 2020, when Owens will start playing after his sit out year

Haha couldn’t happen to a better fan base. They are the most pretentious bunch out there. They refer to us a community college and our players in a very negative light. Hope it’s another 100 years before the nerds go dancing 

• Thanks 1