• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Gibson commits

Encouraged by this signing. Does this mean the Phillips kid (from N. Carolina) is off the table? He had a visit here this past weekend. Wouldn’t mind having them both.

Mat, I don’t know about Cameron Brown, unless he’s de-committed from W&M. I read somewhere his mother is a W&M graduate.

So, 2 ships left to fill. Let’s get a guard who can shoot & the last one either a grad transfer or maybe a transfer who has to sit out next season.

57 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Encouraged by this signing. Does this mean the Phillips kid (from N. Carolina) is off the table? He had a visit here this past weekend. Wouldn’t mind having them both.

Mat, I don’t know about Cameron Brown, unless he’s de-committed from W&M. I read somewhere his mother is a W&M graduate.

So, 2 ships left to fill. Let’s get a guard who can shoot & the last one either a grad transfer or maybe a transfer who has to sit out next season.

I assume one will be a transfer to sit out. Maybe two. I didn’t say Brown is coming here only to keep an eye on that situation.

As for the depth chart, I'd like to see this:

C Sanders, Charles Thompson, Tunstall

PF Gray, Tunstall, Solomon

SF Fobbs, Betrand, Gray (another freshman?)

SG Timberlake, Howard, Betrand, Fobbs

PG Gibson, Dottin

So that's 11 with two spots left. Personally, I'd like to see a sit-out big transfer and a grad transfer 1 or 2. We could be pretty good next season but we still have a freshman backcourt. Adding an experienced transfer would take pressure off one of the young guards. We could go big with Gray at the 3 and Fobbs at the 2 but the ballhandling would be weak. That would put a lot of pressure on the point guard. Howard at the 2 off the bench should be fine and if Betrad and Dottin improve their game, that's great. The more the merrier. 

I think people forget how good Gray can be for us if he can shoot close to that 40% from 3 that he did in his freshman season or even 36-37% this season. That will spread the court and allow Sanders a little more space down low. Hopefully, Thompson and/or a stronger Solly can add some interior points as well. Tunstall is a role player but teams don't respect his offense. They don't even guard him. They just try and keep him off the boards. With Gray, you now have a guy who can take pressure off of Fobbs and throw in Gibson and Timberlake (assuming he improves some), you have a different team offensively.

• Like 1

I know you didn’t say Brown was coming. I simply pointed out that even though the coach at W&M who recruited him is gone, the kid still has strong family ties to the school.

Do you see anyone else possibly bolting from our squad?

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

I know you didn’t say Brown was coming. I simply pointed out that even though the coach at W&M who recruited him is gone, the kid still has strong family ties to the school.

Do you see anyone else possibly bolting from our squad?

At this point, no.

7 minutes ago, sr16 said:

Any idea on timeline for the last two spots

No timeline. I think they really needed a point guard and they filled it. Now, if they go for two transfers, they can take their time because the list is up to 333 on Verbal Commits. Or could go for another HS senior, Prep school guy or Euro. Like I said, I would pref a grad transfer but you have to get lucky and hope you can find somebody who wants to transfer down for PT. Usually, they are transferring up or a similar level.