• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Gibson commits

I’m one of the people who’s been clamoring for a PG with high basketball IQ, who can shoot the 3. I’m not saying this kid is the 2nd coming of Nate Archibald (when he lead the NBA in scoring & assists in the same season), but I’m optimistic about his addition. At least he possibly breaks the mold, in terms of other Skerry PG’s, who have been limited, to put it charitably, in terms of their shooting & passing. So, we don’t have to be polyanas, but a little more optimism & a little less pessimism would be nice

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Lol

42 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Most of you guys wanted a skilled point guard who can shoot and pass. Sorry, we're not getting Steph Curry, Damian Lillard, CP3, Steve Nash or either Isaiah Thomas but he could be pretty damn good. I think he starts right away or at worst, is getting significant minutes off the bench. He started the season with Timberlake getting five starts in nine games. Dottin closed the season as a starter and Betrand had a few starts.

Not saying he's the saviour. Who knows? But in terms of skills and ability to dish, we haven't had that point guard in years. If you want to say he's the next Tim Crossin, fine? Tim was a good player in his first season and then PK benched him. He was a lot slower and less athletic than Gibson, but could shoot. We also didn't have much of a strength program back then. Now we do and Gibson will probably put on 5-10 pounds before the season starts. Timberlake has already added 12lbs.

Not disparaging the kid, but freshmen rarely play big minutes/high contributors under Skerry. That's typically the way hes run it. I would love for him to be the exception to the rule, and play alot.  That would mean hes obviously scoring/passing and making a contribution.  Hopefully he picks up the defensive side of the equation quickly, because if you don't guard, you aren't getting big minutes.

14 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Not disparaging the kid, but freshmen rarely play big minutes/high contributors under Skerry. That's typically the way hes run it. I would love for him to be the exception to the rule, and play alot.  That would mean hes obviously scoring/passing and making a contribution.  Hopefully he picks up the defensive side of the equation quickly, because if you don't guard, you aren't getting big minutes.

Except for last season when freshmen played a ton but considering Howard is probably moving off the ball, why would Gibson not play? His defense isn’t that bad but lack of strength could be an issue. I could see us playing more zone next season. Dottin is the only other point guard and even though he started, PS did not have a lot of confidence in him playing late in games due to his poor shooting and shaky decision making.

Gibson & Timberlake in the backcourt next season....  gotta start the nicknames now... 

“Boy Band Backcourt!?”

As I mentioned before..  if available.. big if!?  Go out and get a grad transfer combo glue guard to help now...  lead by example and with great work habits.  And if not yes a transfer of some sorts to push them in practice and then contribute come 2020-21. 

We don’t know what this kid can be however I’ll say this after watching Frankie Ferrari the past 3 seasons...  size doesn’t matter if the quickness & court vision and overall IQ is there  

Go Tigers..  Win next season or else...  Dave Rose was just shown the door for not winning 20 games at BYU and he’s playing with 22-23 year olds!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Except for last season when freshmen played a ton but considering Howard is probably moving off the ball, why would Gibson not play? His defense isn’t that bad but lack of strength could be an issue. I could see us playing more zone next season. Dottin is the only other point guard and even though he started, PS did not have a lot of confidence in him playing late in games due to his poor shooting and shaky decision making.

Except for the fact that neither averaged more than 17 minutes a game... Where as other teams' freshmen always play a ton more minutes. He brings them along very slowly and I will again say, that it is not a bad thing. Its actually one of the better coaching attributes he has IMO. But it doesn't matter as you'll argue with me and say that sky is green, that's fine.

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Go Tigers..  Win next season or else...  Dave Rose was just shown the door for not winning 20 games at BYU and he’s playing with 22-23 year olds!!!!

As were many other coaches. Winning is expected elsewhere.

32 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Except for the fact that neither averaged more than 17 minutes a game... Where as other teams' freshmen always play a ton more minutes. He brings them along very slowly and I will again say, that it is not a bad thing. Its actually one of the better coaching attributes he has IMO. But it doesn't matter as you'll argue with me and say that sky is green, that's fine.

Because you shoot down anything that is remotely positive on this board. Zion Williamson could transfer here and you’d say, “Skerry doesn’t play sophomores who weigh 285 pounds.”

Zion is transferring here?!!!😆

I’d like us to use 1 of the remaining ships on a big, but not a bruiser; more like a finesse type who can shoot from the outside-kind of in the euro mold 

Please enough about his strength.  Not everyone in our lineup needs to be jacked.  And lifting can mess up a kids shot, I think, at least in part, that’s why some guards flee from the program as we try to convert them into power lifters.  

Until we get guards who can shoot and pass I really don’t want to keep hearing about “guard and defend.”  I do realize that’s important but every post game thats all we ever heard.  I’d like us to focus on scoring, passing and then guard defend and strength.  

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Zion is transferring here?!!!😆

I’d like us to use 1 of the remaining ships on a big, but not a bruiser; more like a finesse type who can shoot from the outside-kind of in the euro mold 

Yeah, there are options. I don't know if I want a finesse four, though Gray I think will be more finesse. Verbal Commits list up to 358, adding 25 more or so from yesterday.