• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Gibson commits

10 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

Please enough about his strength.  Not everyone in our lineup needs to be jacked.  And lifting can mess up a kids shot, I think, at least in part, that’s why some guards flee from the program as we try to convert them into power lifters.  

Until we get guards who can shoot and pass I really don’t want to keep hearing about “guard and defend.”  I do realize that’s important but every post game thats all we ever heard.  I’d like us to focus on scoring, passing and then guard defend and strength.  

I think strength is important in today's game but no, he doesn't have to be a bodybuilder or look like Jakigh Dottin. When you say enough about his strength, there's a reason why he wasn't heavily recruited and that's probably No. 1. But it worked out for us. He just needs to get stronger, not huge. There are so many screens in this game, that you do need the strength to get around them or you will be bounced around like a pinball. He doesn't have to be Gary Payton but he can't be a huge weakness on D where everybody will go after him on the other team. I think he'll be fine.

Look, Jordan McNeill redshirted his first season and was about 170 pounds at 6-5. He gained about 25-30 pounds. While it didn't make him a starter or even a quality starter, he at least became a serviceable defender. Tunstall added 20 pounds last year and was solid but he was 208 the year before Maybe some guys got too big. Look at Al Thomas at 6-9, 275. He had no virtually no mobility before the hip injury. 

Skerry will always want his guys to defend. Most coaches do. The fact that he's changing a bit on the recruiting front is a good thing. Timberlake, Gray and now Gibson is a step in the right direction. Even Howard was a 39% 3-point shooter but he's not a point guard and not a great defender. Charles Thompson sounds more like the typical Towson bigs of the past apparently, without having seen him much.

7 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Watching quietly. WTF does that mean? Not bad? He poured in 27 against an elite defender but it was meh.

Tough crowd. Let's jump up and down and say he's the next Lebron or Zion!! Savior of TU basketball as we know it..WOOOOOO... better?

smh...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tualum said:

Tough crowd. Let's jump up and down and say he's the next Lebron or Zion!! Savior of TU basketball as we know it..WOOOOOO... better?

smh...

No, let’s just say he was a solid pickup. A good shooter. But at least you’re predictable. Smh 

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Because you shoot down anything that is remotely positive on this board. Zion Williamson could transfer here and you’d say, “Skerry doesn’t play sophomores who weigh 285 pounds.”

Yep stating facts is negative. Skerry rarely plays freshmen big minutes and thus they are minors contributors. It’s gonna be a lot asking a kid who wasn’t even recruited to start his senior year to jump to a good d1 player in 8 months.  Hope he does but I won’t be overly optimistic like some were last year with Solomon “12-8”. 

Let’s agree on one thing.. if we are not top half next year (assuming wm guys all go and maybe Riller) the seat better be made of flames. 

Ne, jmu, del top 3

Strength allows you to compete at the highest level on a consistent basis.  It all helps prevent injury and reduces recovery time.  So yeah,  it’s important 

His HS coach stated that when coach’s would inquire about Gibson, they always asked, “what about his frame”? So, it’s fair to suggest his slight build might have put some schools off. But, his tangible numbers are impressive, he’s a winner & I would assume he’s smart, having gone to Sidwell Friends. 

Is he the savior of TU basketball? Probably not. Does he have potential to be a good player? Sure. Time will tell. Perhaps the biggest takeaway is that by signing him, perhaps PS has demonstrated he’s willing to bring in kids who are fundamentally sound, even if they can’t bench press a school bus. Let’s wish the kid the best & hope that we got a steal.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Yep stating facts is negative. Skerry rarely plays freshmen big minutes and thus they are minors contributors. It’s gonna be a lot asking a kid who wasn’t even recruited to start his senior year to jump to a good d1 player in 8 months.  Hope he does but I won’t be overly optimistic like some were last year with Solomon “12-8”. 

Starters are not minor contributors but keep trying to twist your facts to enhance your arguments and sure, I will not give up on thinking that Solomon could eventually become 12-8 even though I was a bit disappointed with his play this year. Sue me for having some preseason practice optimism. If I just came out and destroyed every player, who the hell would want to watch them?

Mladen Djordjevic (grad transfer)

University of San Francisco 

*family and visa issues last season prevented him from playing  

Very serviceable PG 6’3”. Can shoot the 3 and play defense.  Solid guy to have to spell your starters and give you 10-15 minutes off the bench. 

Not saying he’s a exact fit but our coaching staff needs to reach out to this kid.  Legit.