• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

D1 Transfers from Verbal Commits

You’re not far off. The other day, I counted the number of transfers ass’t coach O’Connell was following on Twitter. It was 70-75.  Presumably that number has gone up since then. I mean guys from all over the country. Maybe 1/3 are following him back, give or take. 

Seems like we’re casting an awful wide net. I can’t imagine a kid from 2,000 or more miles away, who we didn’t recruit out of HS, is coming here. 

I’ve also come to the belief that, as far as D1 transfers, we’re probably not going to get a kid who averaged 10ppg or more at the school he’s leaving. Those kids don’t want to make a lateral (or maybe even a downward) move; they want to move up to a high-major or P5. The kind of guy we will have a chance at is a kid who didn’t succeed at the school he’s leaving (numbers game, not seeing eye-to-eye with the coach, so on & so forth) & who wants to go to a school where he can be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. It would also help if we recruited the kid out of HS, and/or he has local ties 

It’s not easy to find guys who went to P5s and averaged 2ppg who can be legit at this level. You might wind up with Benimon or AJ Astroth.

• Like 1

Agreed; it’s a crapshoot. But I don’t see us getting the kids at the other end of the spectrum-those who’ve had success at the LM-MM level, who now want to move up to a HM or P5 program.

The more I think about it, the more I come to believe 1 D1 transfer per recruiting class is enough. Ideally, I’d prefer more HS kids, with a transfer sprinkled in, rather than the other way around 

Edited by TSU88

All are legitimate concerns ‘88. However,  we pay cost of attendance, and that evens the playing field for the west coast transfers.  Paying COA is a huge advantage at the CAA and MM level.

Another couple of transfers being followed on Twitter by one of our coaches. Mitchell Seraille, a 6’8 forward who is transferring from Stephen A. Austin. Shot 59% from the field, 4 boards a game & 1 blocked shot a game. Averaged 18minutes a game last season. He’s following our coach back on Twitter.

The other is a 6’9 forward from Wofford names Keve Aluma. He shot 66% from the field, averaging 7 points & 7 boards a game. Not following our coach back on Twitter at the moment 

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Another couple of transfers being followed on Twitter by one of our coaches. Mitchell Seraille, a 6’8 forward who is transferring from Stephen A. Austin. Shot 59% from the field, 4 boards a game & 1 blocked shot a game. Averaged 18minutes a game last season. He’s following our coach back on Twitter.

The other is a 6’9 forward from Wofford names Keve Aluma. He shot 66% from the field, averaging 7 points & 7 boards a game. Not following our coach back on Twitter at the moment 

Aluma is from the eastern shore. He attended Stephen Decatur

Exactly. I meant to mention that. It doesn’t appear, at least according to verbalcommits, we recruited him out of HS. UMBC & UMES did though.

Edited by TSU88