• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB crushes Loyola by 23

Ok, sorry for the late response. Shame we had just one person on the chat tonight, but I get it. It's Friday night. Few people care about college basketball at this time of the year.

If you missed it, that first half was as well as any Pat Skerry team has played since he arrived. Great ball movement. Good fullcourt pressure on D. I was amazed we only turned them over nine times but did speed up the tempo. I also believe this was the biggest road game blowout in the Skerry era.

The story of the night was Brian Starr. I don't expect a game like this every night. All I've asked of Brian is that he runs the offense, limits the turnovers, hits a few jumpers and dishes off when he drives instead of taking tough floaters. Tonight he was near-perfect. He went 7 of 7 from the field, 4-5 from the line, dished out 6 assists and had one turnover. Zane Martin, DeShaun Morman, and Justin Gorham all had strong games. Morsell had 12 points in 11 minutes. Was in foul trouble all night and didn't even start second half.

Thought the team lost some focus in the second half. Understandable when you go up 33 and G.G. Smith is just playing almost everybody and benching his top players. Some of those Loyola players looked like they walked out of the Y or something. Truly amazing that they were able to hang with Northwestern but I guess they got hot from 3. That wasn't the case tonight. 

If there was a statement game about being the team from Baltimore, that was tonight.

Agree with everything said mat. I was there and that first 30 minutes was as impressive as a skerry team has looked against d1 program.  18 assists. Shot well. Starr had an amazing game.  

Only complaint was all the fouls especially in the second half. Refs needed to let them play and run the clock out sheesh. 

Well that and the fact we are still selfish team on 2-1s.  Jordan had two bad takes when he should have passed to Morman on the break 

Jordan isn't a point guard. But if he's going to play one for 10 minutes a game, he has to make better decisions on the break. Teams are going to go after him this season when he's the primary ballhandler. I'd almost rather have Zane or DeShaun in those roles when Starr is off the floor. There aren't many options if Prophete is not ready, which it appears he's not though he does have some PG attributes.

Would love to keep McNeil as our Vinny Johnson microwave off the bench and not worry about playing PG. can we get away with Eddie Keith playing 10-12 minutes of Point Forward?

Edited by El Tigre Oro

EK has struggled but he can handle the ball and pass need those intangibles on the floor especially when McNeill is running the point.

Mormon and Gorham’s play off the bench is huge. Those two played well, hence the easy win. Interesting that PS is having them come off the bench, but it does seem to spark the team. I believe Morsell and Thomas are worthy of the starts, but they aren’t getting a lot of minutes because of their tendencies to make mistakes.

Not really impressed with the limited looks at Ingram/Prophete/Rolle. Obviously Rolle isn’t going to be seeing a lot of playing time anyways, but Ingram/Prophete May be. Ingram especially seems to be a little undersized and not ready for his assignments.

This is one of those teams that you'll have different guys having big games every night aside from Martin. I think Zane has such a scorer's mentality, that he'll be putting up 14-16ppg almost every night with a few bad ones and some great ones.  Morsell will get his. Mike has a better 3-point stroke but he doesn't score as well going to the rim. Some nights, Morman, McNeill, Gorham and even EK are capable of double digits. Not Tunstall or Al Thomas though. You'd like to see Al get more comfortable hitting those mid-range jumpers. Maybe that will give him more confidence finishing around the basket.

So far, EK has been very quiet, at least offensively. Hoping he'll show is he's still got "it". We'll need his impact and for him to give that spark to the engine when the other plugs aren't firing so well..  Like to see a sign that his abilities are still there.