• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Comments after the game

Ok, so it wasn't a complete blowout and utter domination many of had hoped. At times, we looked like a team that hasn't played since Nov. of 2019. At times, we just looked better, faster and bigger up front. Though I thought Morgan did a pretty good job against the run. We only averaged 3.1 ypc. Now that's taken into account Ferguson's -10 due to two sacks and Hunter getting a -3 on one attempt. But I was hoping for a better performance from the backs and the O-line. I have to watch it back because I think we missed a few holes here and there.

But bottom line is to take care of business and hopefully get better. Now to the issues. I said Ferguson was the best quarterback in camp due to experience, but I wasn't enamored with him. I prefer a Tom Flacco and Grant Enders when the play breaks down. He's not going to take off maybe only if there's nobody around. He held the ball quite a long time today. Maybe too long. Would like to see him get rid of the ball quicker, because they are going to blitz the hell out of him. His first pass was nearly picked off and RA almost went nuts, putting Jeff Miller in there for just one pass (he complete it). I think #14 calmed down as the game went on, but he wasn't sharp even though he went 20-of-33 for 269 yards with two TDs. Morgan credited him with a pick at the end, but that was Jeff Mlller, who was looking for Triplett?, or somebody that ran the wrong route apparently. 

I think Miller, if we are to just chuck-and-duck it all across the field is the better option. But we have to be able to run the ball better and I think in a normal game, Jerry Howard is not getting 7 carries. He's getting 20. The depth is solid with Folley looking good along with Kobe at the end providing a change-of-pace back. Then you add a bowling ball like Devin Matthews just getting the inside runs. I think we have some solid backs there, maybe not a burner like Shane but efficient enough. I have to look back at the video to see if the receivers were getting separation and just not getting the ball. Jabari Allen made one terrific catch in the middle of the field, though it looked as though he should have caught one in the corner of the end zone.

More issues. The kicking game. It was nice having Aidan O'Neill for a few years, where he was close to automatic as we ever had. Hopefully Keegan Vaughn just had some nerves on the first XP. He seemed to be ok after that, but if he had missed another not sure if were going UConn transfer Clayton Harris or maybe the punter McDonough was going to start kicking field goals.

What else can you say about the defense. I thought the only thing they struggled with was the screens so you know other teams will screen us to death when we start blitzing. But we played a ton of defensive linemen and we didn't much of a drop-off when the 2s and 3s came in. They had 63 yards rushing on 2.4 yards per carry. I knew their QB situation would be a bit rough so you had to stop the run and we did. Robert Topps got the start at safety over Jamal Gay. The Kansas transfer is 6-3, 210 and adds more size and length. I think some of the reasons we played so many players on D was that you have to prepare for just in case of injuries or COVID. Mark Collins Jr. does what he does and that's deflect passes. I spoke with him and RA after the game.

Comments RA:

On playing first game in nearly 2 years

Hard to anticipate anything. It's been two years. I love my guys and they play hard, but I wasn't sure how they would do against guys in a different jersey. 

On Ferguson

OK. A little rusty. Still learning the offense after coming this summer. Good enough to win. Not good enough to win it all yet. But it's easier to make these corrections and adjustments when it's 31-0. 

On penalties and rust

I don't have the stats, but we didn't have that many penalties. Two of them weren't penalties. These guys haven't played a game together. You can scimmge all you want. There's no substitute for the real thing. A little bit rusty. I have a feeling that our offense is pretty damn good. But I think our defense was better.

On emphasis on running the ball in 2nd half

We did say coming out of the second half that we're going to run the ball. That third quarter drive was 16-18 plays. Anytime you put up 18 plays in a drive on somebody, they are tired the rest of the game. That first drive in the third quarter contributed to the great defensive play and third shut out in a decade. Thank God.

On defense

I said before the season started, that we have a chance to win games on defense, but I think our defense will give teams a lot of trouble. We have the talent and depth. We're trading out seven guys up front and they are all playing at a very high level. That's a problem for anybody at this level. We can put tons of smart guys in. They've been around and know what a game is about. The level of experience that our offense, defense and special teams has is probably at the highest level it's ever been since I've been coaching.

Mark Collins Jr.

It felt really good. Coming out here first time as a Tiger. We've been practicing and working for the past year. We knew we had a good gameplan and it's about us. It's not about them and it's about how we execute.

On facing Morgan State

Going into a game somewhat blinded is different. We focused on our execution, how we're going to come out. Bring the energy and fly all around the ball.

First deflection

I try to at least take care of my job and that just happened to be mine.

We preached all week and that we wanted to pitch a shutout and impose our will on these guys.