• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB comes back to beat Drexel 66-62

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22/drexel/boxscore/22054

Junior forward Charles Thompson scored a career-high 23 points and grabbed 11 rebounds to lead Towson to a 66-62 win over Drexel on Saturday afternoon from SECU in front of 1,587. After getting behind by as much as 13 in the first half and were down 12 at the half, the Tigers methodically grinded the lead down and eventually took the lead with 6:56 left in the game on a free throw by Cam Holden. A Nicolas Timberlake three-pointer with 4:37 left, gave Towson a 57-47 lead as that highlighted a 16-0 run.

The Dragons did get the lead down to two points with 12 seconds left, but Nicolas Timberlake made two free throws to seal the game. Timberlake added 12 points and two steals for the Tigers, who shot 63% from the field in the second half and just 2-11 (18%) from the three-point line overall. They force nine turnovers, but seven were forced in the second half. 

More later from #32 and PS.

CT on first half and second half

"We've been known for some slow starts recently and coach gave us a really inspirational speech in the locker room. He said how many times did we have to say the same thing. We're old enough to know what we did wrong in the first half. In the second half, we came out with more energy and were locked in and focused."

On hook shot

"After about 2-3 years, it's slowing down for me. I can really get my hook shot off whenever I want. My coach says it's unblockable shot. What I'm doing at practice is carrying over to the games."

On defensive key

"Locking in on Wynter. He got some easy basket. He was getting some close shots in the lane and we keyed on him and let the others get shots."

On Timberlake's 3 that put them up 10

"Nic was into it. He was talking about moving the ball around more. That's how he got that three. I felt like that was a turning point in the game."

On keys to this team

"Play like we did in the second half. We shouldn't have a bad half. We should have a great first half and a great second half."

On previous game suspended

"That was weird. Still wondering if we'll still have the same stats. Didn't lose or win, Felt like something was missing."

PS opening comments

"Hard-fought win. Drexel is good. They're well-coached. Our energy first half-second half. We got away from things in the first half offensively. We just weren't very good and that sometimes affects you on the other end of the floor. We talked about halftime that we have to play harder. We're getting outrebounded (ended up +5). We've had some teams that weren't very good offensive teams, but they played hard and rebounded. We obviously did that in the second half. I can't say enough about how good Charles Thompson was. Parfait expressed at halftime that we had to get the ball inside. Rizzuto was outstanding today. His defense against Wynter was really good. Nic and Cam are like emotional leaders. They connected in the second half. That was a good win."

On halftime comments

"I could not repeat it. I haven't done that a lot with this group. We just weren't playing Towson basketball. We have some stuff we have to look at. We'll use this week to get better at (finally some practice time with no game until Thursday). We didn't get up as many threes. Gibby played a really good QB game. We have to get him more shots. I didn't do a good enough job at that. Chase gave us a good 10 minutes. Great dunk. We're getting Radhir's feet wet. He has to get used to playing at game speed. We had a good crowd and energy in the building. I'm not taking for granted that we'll be playing meaningful basketball games in February and March and we're looking forward to that."

On crowd

"It's nice. It's what it's supposed to be like. It's getting back to that. Tomorrow we have our first true off day in awhile and then back to class on Monday. Then we have a road trip."

On Delaware game

"Not yet. I'm guessing right after the last regular season game. That Monday and Tuesday that's open. They have one or two extra Mondays left. Each of us has a bye week. It could be then. If it ends up earlier, great. We're probably going to need to finish."

On Hicks

"We just have to get him back. We haven't had a real practice. We've been working him out. It's not the same as getting in there at game speed. Guarding Cam Wynter. I thought he played well at Delaware. We're going to need to extend that because don't know the status of Terry, but we think we're getting close tog getting him back. Fingers crossed. It's been tricky."

On Cam's mask

"We're trying to get him into a different-type of mask. Everything matters when you are trying to compete for a championship. We have one from Ohio State that doesn't affect the eyes at all. I'm not in charge of that area. We have guys that can get that done)."

On pressure defense the second half

"Our guys just played harder. Nothing to do with with me. They got just after it the way they need to get after it."

Alright, so let's get to the game. Who know that Charles had it in him to go off like that with lefty and right hooks from 5-12 feet. It was unreal. He was a ridiculous 11-of-14 from the field. He shot most if not all over the 6-10 Williams. Couldn't come to a harder, smarter and nicer kid, who has come from this raw talent to a pretty good offensive player. Cam (11pts) and Gibby (1-6 FG) didn't have it offensively today, though Gibby did have four assists and one turnover (that was a rough one with Rizzuto open in the corner.

I'm not incredibly worried about three-point shooting, but that shot comes in and goes. I'm worried more about the quality and that we're getting few good looks. I thought it was time to push the ball more on the rare times we were getting stops and rebounds in the first half and early in the second half. We're not the Showtime Lakers, but that three-pointer by Timberlake was made because it came off transition. We're also not Arkansas 40 minutes of Hell or VCU's Havoc D, but that pressure D in the second half was the key to coming back. We forced seven turnovers after forcing just two in the first half. When you are playing teams like JMU and UNCW, we probably need to slow it down most of the game, but against Drexel, it's time to run. As Pat said in the press conference, we still need to get Jason more shots but also better looks. He took one step back, one tough lefty shot that had no chance of getting in. You get my point. He's our best standstill jump shooter. Everyone in the league knows it. But we can still get him better job. Not having another point guard like Nolan is not helping, but ball movement would help. Extra pass. 

Did I think we would win in the first half the way we played or early in the second half when Wynter was cooking? Of course not. I'm a Towson fan who doesn't expect a 7-2 start. It's why I keep saying we need Nolan because we nee all hands on deck for a team loaded with good players, but no true stars. Maybe when Cam gets a new mask where he can actually see, he'll be our star on offense. 

That's the best thing about having a legitimate rest and some real practice this week. Cam will finally get some rest. I assume the kid is still not eating solid foods. Tough to have that energy where you can get 18 pts, 11 rebs, 2 steals and 3-4 dimes every night. I'm sure it doesn't help his FTs either. 

Hell of a win. Now time to rest and get back to our favorite place-the road.

15 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Oregon state was a huge comeback.. like 16 or so at half. Was this the largest since then?

Trying to think back. It's not in the notes. 

Delaware doctors are miracle workers. They carried Ebby Asamoah off the court against us and he scored 30 points at JMU today in an easy Blue Hens 85-69 road win. They did need Painter and the 6-6 big man Davis had 22, seven and assists. Dukes don't have much up front.