• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Future could be bright

I've talked about the potential of some of the younger hoopsters: Dylan Williamson, Christian May, Radhir Hicks and Ryan Conway. The future of hoops, as long as they add quality transfers next spring, is pretty strong. However, in football, everything is up in the air based on how they perform this season with a bunch of transfers and some players from the pipeline.

I know I'm far from perfect in hyping guys, especially in football. So as for the transfers, I can only go by numbers, highlights, and from what I hear that players like RB Joachim Bangda (Kent State), S Juwan Burgess (Indiana) and WR/KR/RB Sam Reynolds (South Carolina) should make an impact this fall. I know most of the defensive transfers from last season did not produce for whatever reason whether it was injuries, scheme or poor fit. So I won't blow up the defensive newcomers this season outside of Burgess because he was a productive player in the Big 10. Wasn't a consistent starter, but if he was, he wouldn't be here.

One thing I noticed during the spring was that we didn't really need a hundred transfers because of r-freshman ILB Mason Woods (6-0, 235), who is one of the best young LBers I've seen in a long time. I mean best young player from the system that is not a transfer. Probably have to go back to Bryton Barr to find a guy who before the injuries would have been a HOFer. Woods is big and fast. Was a two-star by 247Spots out of a Gar-Field HS. I also like Daniel Raymond (6-0, 215), who played some late last season. He's probably our fastest linebacker though technically he's a redshirt sophomore. Needed to get bigger but when you consider he competed in the 55-meter Region Championships in HS, he might be the guy to cover RBs and tight ends. Not to put down Christian Dixon and Bryce Carter because they were good, but not stars. 

Woods and Raymond will be playing a lot this season. S/LB Evan Rutkowski (6-2, 205) is a redshirt freshman and will probably play mostly on special teams, but who knows. He's talented and athletic. Probably faster than his big brother Ryan. CB Shafeek Smith (5-10, 175) wasn't ready last season to play right away. He needed to get bigger and stronger, but it's hard to deny the talent considering he was a three-star CB by everyone and rated as the No. 2 corner in PA. How much will he play? I will assume that some combination of Makai Self (5-9, 170/Penn State), senior Charles Peeples, Sean Tucker (6-0, 170/ECU) will start ahead of him. Self was hurt last season and was a walk-on a Penn State. Tucker is considered a redshirt freshman after transferring from East Carolina. We saw Peeples last season and he certainly shouldn't be a lock to start.

Sam Reynolds (5-8, 185) was not in that pipeline, but I'll include him because he's a redshirt freshman and has run a 10.83 100 meters back in HS and around a 4.4 40. A three-star slot receiver. Put him in the slot, in the backfield and on kick returns. We haven't seen that explosiveness since the Shanes were here (Leatherbury and Simpson).

Isaiah Perkins (6-2, 215) is considered a true freshman. He "grey shirted" last season. He was a beast in HS at Pallotti in Laurel. Was one of the most impressive of the newcomers on offense in the spring. Adds to an impressive WR corps led by seniors Jabari Allen and Darian Street along with Donnell Thompson, Matthew Akuchie and DK James. All are 6-1 or taller aside from Reynolds and D'Ago Hunter. Not sure where freshman Rishon Holmes (6-1, 205) is going to play. The QB/WR from Milford Mill could end up as a WR. He was hurt in the spring so most likely he'll redshirt this season.

I haven't really mentioned the true freshmen who didn't play in the spring. One that stands out is 6-4, 290-pound freshman OG Joden Nelson out of York. He's a rare three-star lineman that we've added to OLine. Was originally a commit to UConn, but changed his mind to play closer to home after Randy Edsall stepped down.

Of course, I already mentioned QB Scott Smith III (6-4, 210) who sat out last season and shined in the spring. Recruiting hasn't been too shabby over the last two seasons. Problems stem from finding a quality QB and transfers who fit on D.

There are a lot more true freshmen I'll be eager to see in August when camp starts.