• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

WBB falls to UConn, 110-61

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/3/22/womens-basketball-murray-sets-single-season-assist-record-in-fridays-ncaa-first-round-game.aspx

These ladies deserved to be moved up to Tiger Basketball. No more other sports despite the outcome tonight. The first half shooting by UConn was as good as I've ever seen from just a pure jump shooting perspective. Second half was mainly layups and FTs. We just never had a chance. They were too big in the backcourt and on the wings with 6-3 Katie Lee Samuelson, who is a small forward. You don't see any 6-3 small forwards in the CAA, though Mayo can play it. She's probably 140 pounds though. Samuelson must be around 175+ and is a great shooter. Every starter they have could play at the next level. We fought hard in the second half and I stayed with it because I thought I owed it to them. 

But it's hard not to be optimistic with Jeter back for two seasons. If anybody read the article in The Sun about here (I know most didn't), she was shot twice last Feb in the shoulder in a drive-by. She's remarkable considering where she's come from and she can get better along with Murray and Mayo for two seasons. Camp is back and I think she can be great but has to avoid the fouls. Flynn just has to get tougher physically and mentally. Holder was overwhelmed today by Samuelson's size but she's a solid defender. I don't think she has any ships left but could use one more transfer small forward that can score.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/womens/bs-sp-towson-uconn-ncaa-tourney-20190322-story.html

20 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

But it's hard not to be optimistic with Jeter back for two seasons. If anybody read the article in The Sun about here (I know most didn't), she was shot twice last Feb in the shoulder in a drive-by. She's remarkable considering where she's come from and she can get better along with Murray and Mayo for two seasons. Camp is back and I think she can be great but has to avoid the fouls. Flynn just has to get tougher physically and mentally. Holder was overwhelmed today by Samuelson's size but she's a solid defender. I don't think she has any ships left but could use one more transfer small forward that can score.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/womens/bs-sp-towson-uconn-ncaa-tourney-20190322-story.html

That’s crazy. What are the odds that the same school has two players shot in drive bys, and within 3 years?!

feel like this was worse then the men playing duke first round. They were literally fed to the wolves. Not much you can do when the other ten has 10 of the top 50 players in the country 

Just now, TuTigers2012 said:

That’s crazy. What are the odds that the same school has two players shot in drive bys, and within 3 years?!

feel like this was worse then the men playing duke first round. They were literally fed to the wolves. Not much you can do when the other ten has 10 of the top 50 players in the country 

She wasn't a Towson Tiger at the time of the shooting, but still bizarre. Just shows you not to take anything for granted and how tough some of these kids' backgrounds are in both programs. Coach Rich said she could identify with Jeter's situation growing up in D.C. and Jeter compared her to her grandmother, who helped raise her. Hard not to root for this team.

28 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

She wasn't a Towson Tiger at the time of the shooting, but still bizarre. Just shows you not to take anything for granted and how tough some of these kids' backgrounds are in both programs. Coach Rich said she could identify with Jeter's situation growing up in D.C. and Jeter compared her to her grandmother, who helped raise her. Hard not to root for this team.

Don’t follow the women really, was this her first year at Towson? I know she went to a juco it looks like.  So she will have 2 more year right?  

Looks like they, just like the men’s team, could use a couple of shooters to help balance out and spread the court 

Melo Jeter was supposed to go to Coastal Carolina and then went juco. Has two years left. She's a terrific player. Right up there with Shanae Baker-Brice in terms of talent and excitement as a women's hoopster. Will go down as best player ever assuming she can stay healthy. Sure, they are adding two guards, one who is supposed to be a good shooter but I still think they need a three. They may be done recruiting. I know they have 6-5 or 6-6 Euro who sat out this year. She's taller than Camp, who is listed at 6-5.

I think in the women's game, you can't be just a shooter. You have to be able to guard. I haven't been that impressed with the freshmen guards she has brought in. It's her transfers who have been great. I think Coach Rich started out pressing and then kind of laid off I assume because they were tired and worn down late in the year.