• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Ron Johnson coming to Towson

So here's the story. Michigan DT Ron Johnson considered coming to Towson over the summer. Decided to go home to Rutgers after graduating Michigan. Apparently he didn't graduate on time. So his only other option was to go to Towson and here we are. He has two years left, is 6-3, 280 and can run. A former four-star who didn't play much at Michigan because they were loaded up front. Don't think he plays this week. Maybe next week.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019/08/camdens-ron-johnson-will-not-be-joining-rutgers-football-team.html

Good to hear, because I’m not overwhelmed with our D-Line as it’s presently configured. I’ll see how they do today. 

I really don't think you can judge our D-line on playing against a triple option team that cut blocks you to death. Carter was excellent, Gibbs played sparingly but had 3 tackles. I like Vinny Shaffer the rest were ok, Concerned about the linebackers now if DeBerry is going to be out awhile. Next man up I guess. But there's no CAA team with two four-star defensive linemen. Add Johnson with Gibbs, will allow you to move Carter around and Bowman. They need Vinny to start at NG and rotate the rest of the guys.

Johnson, Gibbs, Alexander & Bowman. 4 guys not on the team last year, who collectively can pick up the slack assuming DeBerry is out for an extended period of time, if not the whole season

So he’s eligible immediately? Citadel only runs. Stack the box and make them beat us over the top.  

But we didn’t dominate. Looks like another nice but not good year which the alum will be satisfied by. 

35 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Johnson, Gibbs, Alexander & Bowman. 4 guys not on the team last year, who collectively can pick up the slack assuming DeBerry is out for an extended period of time, if not the whole season

Yes, a brand new defense with a new DC so it's going to take some time to get cohesive.

27 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

So he’s eligible immediately? Citadel only runs. Stack the box and make them beat us over the top.  

But we didn’t dominate. Looks like another nice but not good year which the alum will be satisfied by. 

Yes, he's eligible immediately. Stack the box? Right. Against a triple option team? We didn't beat them by 40 on the road? I don't know what you expected. This is the team that had Alabama at 10-10 at the half. Not an easy team to play in the humidity and rain in Charleston. I just wanted the win. I knew it wasn't going to be easy with a new defensive coordinator and new scheme against that offense. Our offense should have put about 40 points on the board to make it easier. Epps fumbles at the 2. Leatherbury drops the ball at the 1 on 3rd and goal. Flacco missed a few open guys. We had some drops. Simpson was brilliant with three TDs. Take the W but to say we're going to be nice but not good enough for the alums to be satisfied after one win? 

Let's wait until the Maine game. That will be the true litmus test assuming we are 2-0 by then. The loss of DeBerry though could be massive if he's gone for a long period of time.

Can’t help but being a little excited about now having Michigan, Nebraska & S. Carolina transfers on D. Too bad the Oklahoma transfer is injured. 

I think we now have a plethora of potentially-really good linemen for the first time ever or at least since 2011-13. However, we are now playing a 3-4 and just lost one of our best linebackers for who knows how long (probably due to playing CutBlock U.). I'd consider going back to a 4-3. Play Gibbs and Vinny/Gyeni/Danagogo inside at defensive tackle. Play Johnson and Carter at defensive end. Bring Bowman, Tyne and Lambert off the bench at end, Tibo replacing Gibbs. Johnson can move inside on passing situations. Paye, Chiz and Heyward at linebacker. We just don't have much depth right now at linebacker. Christian Dixon and Chiz are limited in experience. I don't mind the 3-4 but I don't know if we were ready for that in terms of having the depth at LB. The worst-case scenario may have happened in the first game. If he's only out a few games, we'll be ok. If it's long-term, I just hope we can get by with our defensive linemen rotating around.