• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

No. 9 Florida shuts out Tigers, 38-0

No doubt that injuries are an X-factor which have taken a huge toll. I hope I’m wrong, but I feel that what looked like a promising season is in danger of finishing 6-6 or 7-5

Win 5 more games they make the playoffs If not they aren’t in the playoffs.  Might be good for another context extension. But need to beat the chickens,sb, and elon consistently to be a contender.

6 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

No doubt that injuries are an X-factor which have taken a huge toll. I hope I’m wrong, but I feel that what looked like a promising season is in danger of finishing 6-6 or 7-5

I don't think so. Villanova might be the number two team in the conference right now and we blew that game in the final seconds or you could say they took it. Are they better than Stony Brook, Delaware, Albany, Elon, etc? I think so. We're capable of beating anybody in the league at home or on the road as long as don't continue to suffer season-ending injuries to key players. JMU will be a monumental task but every other game is winnable. We need Allen and Clark back to give Flacco more weapons. I'd love to see Yeedee just pound it up the middle and not try and T-West it outside because he's not that fast. We need Kobe to also get healthy and to get back on track. He's nearly as good as Shane when healthy at least as a runner and receiver. To me, he's the x-factor and if he's not healthy, then sure, we don't have much of a running game aside from Flacco.

I still think we can make the playoffs. Is it a lock now? No, of course not. Nothing is but the loss of Shane and DeBerry will probably limit us in the postseason. I was skeptical of this team making a long run before the season. Now without six starters, it not likely unless Flacco carries them like T-West did in 2013-14.

Your last post raises an interesting question in my mind-assuming we make the playoffs, would we be 1 & done again? Is it premature to pose this question? Perhaps, but it does beg the question whether we’re content as a program to scratch & claw to make the playoffs, only to get summarily bounced once we do. 

16 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Your last post raises an interesting question in my mind-assuming we make the playoffs, would we be 1 & done again? Is it premature to pose this question? Perhaps, but it does beg the question whether we’re content as a program to scratch & claw to make the playoffs, only to get summarily bounced once we do. 

I don't know what else TL can do. He's forced several coaching changes and when you look at Jared, he didn't exactly try and match Delaware's offer. We're not Delaware who lives in the past or JMU, where you can just fire a coach for losing in the first round. Of course, nobody will be happy if we get another home game and lose it. But knowing that you're best back and special teams returner an All-American) is out, kind of makes sense. Hopefully all the spring practice in the winter prepares us for inclement weather in November.

Hell, just make it. That's a successful season, making postseason for a program that was cut 29 years ago and has just three postseason trips in 32 years of FCS football. I'll take it.

I understand the position that just making the playoffs equates to a successful season. I’m going to play devil’s advocate & take the position that just making it isn’t enough. I don’t expect us to be NDSU, but I personally think being content just getting an invite isn’t enough. In any event, this topic is probably best revisited at the end of the season. 

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I understand the position that just making the playoffs equates to a successful season. I’m going to play devil’s advocate & take the position that just making it isn’t enough. I don’t expect us to be NDSU, but I personally think being content just getting an invite isn’t enough. In any event, this topic is probably best revisited at the end of the season. 

Of course not, but we have no history. At some point sure, if it happens every year, and Rob keeps getting a one-year extension, then we should wonder if just making it is enough. Two playoff appearances for one-and-done and one where we went to Frisco. I'll take that percentage but sure, at some point it's going to get old. I just don't know what you can expect without Shane Simpson, unless Kobe shows up. You're not going to win many games where you don't put up at least 35 with that defense. I guess knowing that, I'd take a playoff appearance and one win. That would be a successful season.

And by the way, not overwhelmed by Florida and of course, they're loaded on defense even with injuries to key players. The QB was basically throwing 5-7 yard outs and dropping it off to running backs. He can manage the game against certain teams and us but I don't think they are Alabama, LSU or Georgia.

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I was more impressed with Florida’s backup QB than I was the starter

He looked really good. Of course, we were playing backup corners and they were getting torched but his passes were right on the money. They acted like he's just a runner.