• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football loses 40-17 to UNH

Not going to blame it totally on injuries or the horrific tackling on the defense. The putrid offense until the UNH starters came out on defense. A lot of blame to go around in a season where wins will be very hard to come by even if the competition lightens up.

http://towsontigers.com/news/2017/10/21/football-tigers-fall-on-the-road-at-new-hampshire.aspx

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=177321

I didn’t watch or listen to today’s thoroughly predictable debacle, so it wouldn’t be fair of me to comment any specifics of the game. (The fact I couldn’t muster the interest to watch or listen is indicative of how bad things have gotten). I will say this though-the worst thing a football team can be, in my humble opinion, is a loser & boring. We’re both. It’s pointless to continue to point out the obvious-a fish stinks from the head down. Who can objectively say we don’t need a coaching change? And yes, I get it, no such change is forthcoming.

I think we ended up playing 12 true or redshirt freshmen due to injuries or other issues. Also didn't see Jabari Greenwood in the second half. Not making excuses just can't win that way. CB Vashon McCants, S/KR Coby Tippett, CB Jamal Watson (redshirt), DT Tibo Debaille, DE Bryce Carter (r-freshman), C Nick Carnesale (r-fresh), RG Andrew Grzymkowski (r-freshman), Ryan Stover (r-freshman), RB Kobe Young, WR Jabari Allen, WR/KR Rodney Dorsey, RB Adrian Platt. Also add four more freshmen in r-freshman WR Ryan Rutkowski, true freshman linebacker Christian Dixon, true freshman WR Caleb Smith and r-freshman OT Andrew Garnett. Smith and Rutkowski got run because of the score late in the game. Antonio Harris, who looked like he was done last week after the injury, started at left tackle so I didn't see Garnett save for special teams.  Did like the way Kobe Young ran.

Maybe the freshman suffering growing pains this season will pay off in the future. Maybe. I’m trying to come up with any rationalizations I can to convince myself things will get better. 

Matt, I saw some reference in the chat to a basketball scrimmage. What, if any, intel do you have on that? Sorry for posting this in football thread 

Basketball scrimmage against Bucknell? That's next Saturday at 1pm before the Homecoming game for Hurricane Relief. I can't talk about the closed scrimmage today against Richmond on these message boards. Though since Spiro gave a hint to what happened on the broadcst, I'll say we did win by 12 apparently.

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Maybe the freshman suffering growing pains this season will pay off in the future. Maybe. I’m trying to come up with any rationalizations I can to convince myself things will get better. 

We played 16 today, some due to the score, others due to injuries. I don't know if that means we'll be better next season. If Stover doesn't improve, what does it matter? Harris should get a chance to run the offense. He showed some potential last week and gives us a dynamic runner. I think Dorsey and Chris Greaves have to bring something next season because we lack playmakers. Also curious about the juco RB who is injured and Jaelen Thompson. If Wethington gets his shi-t together, that would be a great bonus. But both lines surely need help and the spring should be an open competition at QB between Stover, Harris, and Epps. As good as Miller is or might be, we don't want to start a true freshman QB.