• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Towson embarrassed 38-21 to Albany

1 hour ago, TUTigers said:

Delaware doesn’t have to compete with pro sports and FBS schools for fan support. 

Both have good and bad points.

Delaware draws a majority of their fans from their alumni, who as the jokes go, (but very true) are old timers.  Its interesting to see how their programs do in the next decade or so. They have had extreme attendance decreases over the years.  

Delaware isn't far from Philly and not like they are in the middle of nowhere like JMU, NDSU, Montana. And if TigerFan thinks our tailgating is bad for students... UDels campus/dorms are a good mile plus walk to the stadiums.

What pro sports are we competing with on Saturdays in the fall? Orioles? eh.  Navy and Maryland both played halfway across the country at different times this week and were not playing the week we played Nova.  This isn't like UAB trying to compete with Alabama and Auburn. 

Attendance Saturday, or lack thereof, was shocking. No O’s, Ravens, Terps or Navy games competing with us, and a nice weather day with us ranked #9 (even though that, in retrospect was vastly inflated) in the country. 

Student attendance was sparse. There was, or is, a school of thought that there will be a correlation between the increase in students living on campus and student attendance. I’ve never subscribed to this theory. I don’t know if it’s poor marketing or just plain old apathy (probably a combo of the two) but I don’t think student attendance will ever be consistently strong. 

As for paying customers, you would think that in a fairly large metro area, where you can’t swing a stick without hitting a TU alum, and with no real competition for the hearts & minds of local college football fans, that attendance would be better. You would think that, and you’d be wrong. 

FBS is a pipe dream, which is fine as far as I’m concerned. Is anything more irrelevant in FBS football than the UMass or ODU’s of the world? I just hope we stay in FCS & get a new coach to start the 2022 season. Of course, that would  mean not making the playoffs this season or the next two, since it appears he automatically gets a one year extension for making the playoffs 

Edited by TSU88

7 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Attendance Saturday, or lack thereof, was shocking. No O’s, Ravens, Terps or Navy games competing with us, and a nice weather day with us ranked #9 (even though that, in retrospect was vastly inflated) in the country. 

Student attendance was sparse. There was, or is, a school of thought that there will be a correlation between the increase in students living on campus and student attendance. I’ve never subscribed to this theory. I don’t know if it’s poor marketing or just plain old apathy (probably a combo of the two) but I don’t think student attendance will ever be consistently strong. 

As for paying customers, you would think that in a fairly large metro area, where you can’t swing a stick without hitting a TU alum, and with no real competition for the hearts & minds of local college football fans, that attendance would be better. You would think that, and you’d be wrong. 

FBS is a pipe dream, which is fine as far as I’m concerned. Is anything more irrelevant in FBS football than the UMass or ODU’s of the world? I just hope we stay in FCS & get a new coach to start the 2022 season. Of course, that would  mean not making the playoffs this season or the next two, since it appears he automatically gets a one year extension for making the playoffs 

That's all part of the problem. The "big market" excuse of having pro-teams is just that an EXCUSE. We aren't trying to get 25K people every Saturday, but 4,500 is a joke (Albany had 100-200).

You mention the Ravens, a ticket is say $75 bucks a person, parking $20, a hot dog/soda $10 another $7 for a beer. So a family of 4 with each having a hot dog and soda, and parents a beer each is ~$375 a game.  You can get the same at Towson for ~$100. The product is obviously different, but one is a much more family friendly environment and more affordable for the average family.

At this point, the coaching staff, marketing, promotion, gameday items, seem to have gotten stale. We constantly ask the same questions about fans support, students, etc. Money, winning, style of play, TV, what helps? Well it doesn't seem like any of that has any real affect. To me, energy is the key and why do you think we were more successful under Waddell??! Love him or hate him, he energized the athletic department, coaches, players and fans. The current regime doesn't do anything to get people engaged.  I have had hoops season tickets since graduation in spring of 2012, guess what happened this year. NOTHING, no one called me to renew them or anything. That is unacceptable!  We need all the butts in seats we can get, and to not call/email/mail ticket holders is RIDICULOUS.  

Its the same thing over and over again. We hear the pitch from Rob every single year "this is the best looking team I've had. They haven't forgotten last year. This team is together and we are ready to surprise people, yadda, yadda, yadda," its just more of the same BS. He would make a great salesman,  football coach, not so much.  

61-50 against FCS, 39-44 in the CAA and 3-3 in the Playoffs.

By my count, he’s 62-62 (including playoffs) in his tenure, which began in 2009. No playoffs W’s since 2013 season. In fact, all his playoff W’s (3) were that season. Has made the playoffs 3 out of 11 seasons (I’m counting this season as not making the playoffs. That could change, but I doubt it). 

Yes, I know he took over a program that was at the bottom, so you needn’t remind me of that. 

57 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

By my count, he’s 62-62 (including playoffs) in his tenure, which began in 2009. No playoffs W’s since 2013 season. In fact, all his playoff W’s (3) were that season. Has made the playoffs 3 out of 11 seasons (I’m counting this season as not making the playoffs. That could change, but I doubt it). 

Yes, I know he took over a program that was at the bottom, so you needn’t remind me of that. 

Yes 62-62 but the 1-11 against FBS teams shouldn't be held against him.  29-10 with a certain RB and 32-40 without is startling 

We will probably go 3-3 the rest of the way. Alumni on here get super excited, and defensive of Rob and say "he had lots of injuries, just wait until next year." We go 4-7, the same alums say "he had lots of injuries, h'es a good guy and went to school here. just wait until next year, who can we get that is better?."  Sneak into playoffs and "Extension Tim" gives out another undeserving one.  Rinse, wash and repeat.

Another fun stat, Albany's last road win came on Sept 9, 2017 also in Baltimore against Morgan State. Their last CAA road win? Nov. 12, 2016. Their all-time road CAA record going into this past week was 5-21.  5-21!  Oh, the 38 points scored was the most by an Albany team on the road since 2011.  

If the buyout wasn't so much, I would pray that there isn't anyone on here saying/thinking that the coach should keep his job.

There are lies, damn lies & statistics.  Point is, he’s a .500 coach, who’s had 5 losing seasons out of 10 (may or may not be 6 out of 11 by end of November). He’s only made playoffs 3X & has only won a playoff game in one of those 3 appearances, and in the other two appearances he lost at home to teams from the Patriot League & Pioneer League (I think that’s Duquesne’s conference).

15 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

There are lies, damn lies & statistics.  Point is, he’s a .500 coach, who’s had 5 losing seasons out of 10 (may or may not be 6 out of 11 by end of November). He’s only made playoffs 3X & has only won a playoff game in one of those 3 appearances, and in the other two appearances he lost at home to teams from the Patriot League & Pioneer League (I think that’s Duquesne’s conference).

NEC, not a ton better but they are semi-scholarship level. Pioneer is not.  So Duquesne had 45 when they embarrassed us in the playoffs. Full FCS like Towson have 63. FBS 85. So it was similar to an FBS losing to an FCS team.  Feel better yet?!?  Crickets from some on here is telling 

3 hours ago, TSU88 said:

In the future there will be no FCS as we know it. There will be a hybrid of G5 and CAA types and the a reduced scholarship level for Patriot ,NEC etc.

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

NEC, not a ton better but they are semi-scholarship level. Pioneer is not.  So Duquesne had 45 when they embarrassed us in the playoffs. Full FCS like Towson have 63. FBS 85. So it was similar to an FBS losing to an FCS team.  Feel better yet?!?  Crickets from some on here is telling 

NEC is now meeting the “bowl counter “ requirements.  45 fulls and an additional 18 “need based” scholarships.  Same package as the old Patriot and IVy model.  That’s how Duquesne has been able to play two 1A’s a year.  COA is undercutting the current FCS model.  Expect big changes.