• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Ultimate choke job

Sorry, but there are no positives from tonight’s debacle. It merely cements in my mind the fact that we are inept & impotent in close games. As another poster succinctly put it, the coach & players took a feel-good win & turned it into a disgraceful L. This is how you lose some of the (few) supporters of the program. We choked; we came up small. Once again, the game was too big for our coach and players. Same as it ever was

6 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Who knows what happened in postgame. I don't know if he had to go the interview room first. So he wasn't available but Pat does 99% of the interviews in postgame. Believe me, when I'm not there, I listen to every one. He's usually a stand up guy after games and will take the blame, but if that was me, I wouldn't have done it. I wouldn't want to say something I would regret on radio/TSN.

Sure I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Another game starting right after. It’s plausible. But I just wonder if the outcome were different...

I refuse to comment on the obvious-that this coach has taken us as far as he can-for it is pointless to do so, given the absurd contract extension he received 2 years ago. I will ponder this however...the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, & expecting a different result. As long as he continues to recruit the same guy (hard-nosed on D & pounds the glass), instead of high-IQ guys who can shoot, we will NEVER get to where we want to be. Having role players like Tunstall (missed a bunny tip-in, outmuscled on the boards, devastating turnover at the end) in at the end of close games vs good teams is exhibit A in my argument 

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I refuse to comment on the obvious-that this coach has taken us as far as he can-for it is pointless to do so, given the absurd contract extension he received 2 years ago. I will ponder this however...the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, & expecting a different result. As long as he continues to recruit the same guy (hard-nosed on D & pounds the glass), instead of high-IQ guys who can shoot, we will NEVER get to where we want to be. Having role players like Tunstall (missed a bunny tip-in, outmuscled on the boards, devastating turnover at the end) in at the end of close games vs good teams is exhibit A in my argument 

But he did recruit two guys who don't fit that mold. Gibson, who was on the floor most of the time and Gray, who rarely plays and rarely gets good shots. Tunstall is a nice role player but sure, he an undersized center who shouldn't be on the floor with Sanders at the end other for his ability to grab an offensive rebound. The player that needs to be on the floor late in games on offense is Gray. Better shooter, better ballhandler. Not better defender or rebounder. You have to think about playing offense/defense with him and Tunstall or him and Thompson. I think he's been underused so far. Maybe some say he's been underwhelming other than the game against GW and that dunk against Xavier.

I feel bad for Sanders, who played a helluva game. Still, I find no positives out of tonight’s exercise in futility. To take any positive out of a coaching staff & players who were thoroughly unprepared for a full court press is akin to telling Mrs. Lincoln that at least the play she & Abe went to at Ford’s Theatre was a good one. 

I was screaming at my tv also. Then I had a few IPA’s and everything’s fine. I’ve been a fan since ‘83. Yes, it stinks but “once a tiger always a tiger”. Unless you witnessed Truax’s early years, Jaz, Hunt, Kennedy ...   I mean we were BAD. It sucks and we should be 2-0 vs the MAC. As for Gibson, I think he’ll be pretty good down the road. Keep it up, I love reading this stuff. This March is the 30 year anniversary. Do you believe in miracles?

Lousy lousy lousy lousy. 

Actually, the Buffalo coach wasn’t lousy. His decision to go full court press won the game