• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

A couple of football notes

Nothing new in terms of recruiting or coaching news personnel. 

Now, still waiting on getting DeBerry and Shane Simpson cleared for next season to get a sixth season. Would be surprised if they don't get a sixth season. A bit of good news as Brandon Shuman is listed as a redshirt junior. He was injured last season, but played in five games, so they can't get an extra year, but must have only played one full season at Purdue and played in two games in five seasons. So he has one more year left.

That's good news for the cornerback spot since Robert Javier, Jeremiah Wynn and Jirhe Love are still pretty inexperienced. At least they'll have one experienced guy back and probably will add one transfer. Maybe Wynn goes back to safety but they have three decent ones in Tippett, SJ Brown and Jamal Gay returning from the ACL injury.

I think they could also get two more years for Ron Johnson, the DT/E from Michigan who blew out his knee in the Villanova game. It would be nice if he and Jesus Gibbs could stay healthy and start in the 3/4 scheme (assuming we stay in it) next to Gyeni or Schaffer at nose guard.

Still waiting on when the times for spring football will be announced. Hopefully a later time this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TowsonTiger11 said:

Sounds like all pretty good news. Sounds like QB is the only major worry of the off season unfortunately it’s a HUGE worry. 

Yes and hopefully I will have some news shortly. Was hoping to have a new QB in the spring, but I guess we are looking at Miller, Stover and Harris.

3 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Yes and hopefully I will have some news shortly. Was hoping to have a new QB in the spring, but I guess we are looking at Miller, Stover and Harris.

This mean you don’t think they are going to bring someone in at qb then??? 

4 minutes ago, TowsonTiger11 said:

This mean you don’t think they are going to bring someone in at qb then??? 

No, you misread my statement. I wanted someone in by the spring to learn the offense and the team. They'll likely have one by the late signing period but that means they are still in their second semester at whatever school they are at. Flacco didn't come in until way after Rutgers' spring practice ended.

12 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

No, you misread my statement. I wanted someone in by the spring to learn the offense and the team. They'll likely have one by the late signing period but that means they are still in their second semester at whatever school they are at. Flacco didn't come in until way after Rutgers' spring practice ended.

Ah got cha. Hoping for a dual threat type (even if it’s just a grant Enders type who does it all off bootlegs)

16 minutes ago, TowsonTiger11 said:

Ah got cha. Hoping for a dual threat type (even if it’s just a grant Enders type who does it all off bootlegs)

They desperately need a dual-threat QB. Most good programs have a QB who can run and pass. Look, even Trevor Lawrence ran for a long TD last night. If they don't get one, they might as well stick with Miller and just add a freshman QB. That's why I mentioned Caylin Newton, but they could probably do better since his accuracy is iffy. Maybe they are looking at Jucos since Enders was one after his short stint at Holy Cross.