• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB routs Elon in home finale 84-71 (story up)

Ok, I'm back. Where do I start. Would be nice if the story was available 2 hours after the game. I had someplace to go and tried to put this thread up while I was walking.

In regards to the rebounding, we ended up outrebounding them by 9, so obviously PS said something at the half regarding it. It wasn't like we were getting outrebounded by 10. It was more of a Delaware-like -4. It's probably the only part of the game where are spoiled and that's due to Tunstall, Sanders and Fobbs. But when Sanders gets in foul trouble, it's on CT to get the job done. Unlike Thursday night, he failed. And nobody else helped out. As big as Betrand is at 6-6, 205 or whatever, he should be grabbing more than 2.8 rebounds per game. But that's about next season when he's going to need to rebound a lot more when he probably gets moved to the 3. Timberlake actually averages more rebounds at 3.4 per game in 11 less minutes per game.

But I digress. One of the best 40 minutes of basketball we've played in awhile. I don't care that Elon went bat-shit crazy with threes in the second half, because that's what they do. We probably should have gone small sooner to match up with their four-guard lineup. When we go into the post, we try to score (usually). When they go in the post, they take a dribble and pass it out for an open three.

Anybody that follows me on the chat knows that I've alway been heavily-critical of Sanders. But at this point, we have to accept the missed bunnies, early fouls, behind the back dribbles. It's just what he does, but he's also incredibly valuable. If this teams wants to go far, he to step it up. Not just Fobbs and Betrand but Sanders. He needs to stop with the silly-reach ins and tripping fouls. Just get your money's worth on fouls. Oh well, I tried. It ain't happening. But the fact that he's become a 69% foul shooter when he showed he was around 45% at Duquesne, shows how hard he's worked to get there. Credit the staff as well.

DT never became the offensive dynamo or even the double-double machine some of us thought he could be. And sure, offensive dynamo is a stretch. But we need him to give us that energy one more time on both ends. Rebound and block shots. That block on Sheffield was a beauty in the first half. So Sanders' block on Sheffield in the second half.

And there's Fobbs. He bails the offense out over and over and over. He's really the only guy that can create some separation. One of the reasons I'd like to see us play more small ball is to see him at the 4 and watch a big trying to defend him. That's what happens when poor Dennis is out there against small lineups. It's not easy. He had a very efficient 19 points in 28 minutes with seven boards on 6-of-9 shooting. Foul trouble probably prevented a bigger night, but Timberlake stepped up with 12 points in 22 minutes. That's what you need.

Gibby had gone five straight games without hitting double figures. That's a slight surprise because he had a good game against JMU with 9 points and had 9 at Delaware. Some days, we do need him to score, esp. when Betrand is in a shooting funk, which he kind of is right now. He was 2 for 9 today, was 3 for 13 against W&M, 5-11 against JMU and 4-12 against Regent (0-6 3pt). He is now 5 for his last 19 on three-pointers. Obviously, we need him to be better to have any shot against Hofstra and in the tournament. 

Hofstra beat Delaware 78-62 today. They are the team to beat. We'll find out again Thursday night. I see what 2012 is saying about finishing 6th not being a bad thing. But Delaware could fall to 4 and Charleston could moe to 3. It's that tight. But if Charleston loses to UNCW on the road tonight, who knows. Delaware finishes at Charleston and at UNCW. If Charleston wins tonight and against Delaware at home, they are probably getting 3rd. Then they end with Drexel at home, the worst road team in the league. 

Either way, I'm not worried now. It is that it is. If we finish third or six, at least we avoid the PIG. But while I can a cheerleader at times, I'm also a realist. IMHO, I don't think this team can win three straight games. Not impossible, but I've watched every second of every game (save for the JMU game, thanks Flo Sports/JMU) this season and I don't see us putting together 120 minutes of great basketball or even 100. That's what you have to do at that level and that's step the f up. Everybody from Gibson to Betrand to Timberlake to Tunstall. Not an easy thing and the other team's play and coach. You can say, but "Mat, the past, the past." It's the current. It's not about what we did in the past. These guys are, again in my opinion, roughly the fifth-best team in the league. That's what I felt from the beginning and while I've screamed from the mountaintops that this team will improve from last year, I don't think we're getting to that mountaintop. Hope I'm wrong. I just want to win the first game.

Comments after the game from PS and the Seniors (I was the only media guy there, surrounded by family members of the Seniors)

Skerry

Big win for us, Says a lot about our kids, esp. our seniors to have a hard-fought, tough-loss on Thursday night and then battle back like this against a team that had won five of six. I love these guys. It's been a privilege to coach them. You can get emotional in a day like this, but I wasn't going to get overly emotional because I believe these guys have a lot of basketball left. I really believe that. They have great families here. All of them played well. Brian is the horse that pulls the wagon. Good team win."

On pulling Seniors off the floor

"Doesn't always happen like that. I wanted to put Dennis back in and take him out. You want to get these guys recognized. We're back, we're in the mix, having a good year. I still think we can have a great year. That will be determined in D.C. I'm appreciative of these guys getting us back in the mix."

DT

Definitely a great feeling. It's been a long journey. Every game is a big game. Our next goal is to cut down the nets in March.

Brian on difference between this and last game

Just having energy. Playing together more. Connected. Moving and sharing the ball. Obviously our defense and rebounding that's what we did. 

Skerry 

I thought our energy was great the other night. We played hard. Sometimes this game is simple as the ball goes in the basket and you look a lot better. We defended and rebounded today and the ball went in early. The other night we had some great shots that didn't go in. 

Nakye on Elon

Long shots, long rebounds. I just worry about the rebounds. The forwards don't shoot that much. 

Nakye on rebounds in first half and what PS told them at the half

Ball was going over our heads and the guards have to rebound.

PS on rebounds

Guards did a much better job in the second half. Allen with four, Jason had five, Brian had 7. Jakigh had three. 

On assists

This group has had great ball movement. You can't get an assist unless the ball goes in the basket. Sometimes you can throw a good pass and the ball doesn't go in, so you don't get the assist. Can't say enough. They have been an unbelievable group to coach. We need to play our best basketball two weeks from now.

DT on playing for Towson

Means a lot to me and my family as well. Playing hard all day long.

Brian

Gives it my all for teammates, family, friends and those who support the school. Students. It's been a blessing.

Nakye

It means everything to me. Playing in front of my family. All the people that believed in me. To be through all the stuff I've been through, it means everything to me.

Fobbs on team

I think we're in a pretty good place right now. We're excited to get going. We'll see how we're going to do.

Skerry

We have to stay healthy. We only have eight of them. I told our strength coach to put them in bubble wrap all week.

On Jason Gibson 19 points, 4 assists, 5 rebounds

Fobbs on "the Pass" 

That was crazy. I don't think he meant to pass it to me. He just threw it to our side. I went and got it. My family says I'm kind of slow sometimes to the ball. I had to get that quick. He can shoot the ball, pass it. He's a great player.

Nakye

That wasn't shocking by Gibby.  We see what he can do in practice. He goes hard. He's a great leader out there. 

BTW, as optimistic as I am about next season, I'm also beginning to realize we'll miss those three seniors more than I thought. Sanders' physical play on both ends, DT's long reach and athleticism and Fobbs' ability to score from deep and mid-range. I don't know enough about the new guys whether we have a replacement, though I do think Charles can be that physical player that Sanders was with more length (needs to shoot 500 FTs a day with a new form). We're going to have at least five new players with Gray, Solomon, Thompson, Gibson, Dottin, Betrand and Timberlake as returning players. Darrick Jones Jr.,  Demetrius Mims, Victor U. Cory Barnes Jr, and Chris Biekeu are the five new guys and there will be at least one more. So six new guys and now sit-out transfers at this point. We could really use a break-you-down wing.

Looks like I'm going to have to see a summer practice to find out about these guys because I haven't seen enough to form an impression.

14 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

BTW, as optimistic as I am about next season, I'm also beginning to realize we'll miss those three seniors more than I thought. Sanders' physical play on both ends, DT's long reach and athleticism and Fobbs' ability to score from deep and mid-range. I don't know enough about the new guys whether we have a replacement, though I do think Charles can be that physical player that Sanders was with more length (needs to shoot 500 FTs a day with a new form). We're going to have at least five new players with Gray, Solomon, Thompson, Gibson, Dottin, Betrand and Timberlake as returning players. Darrick Jones Jr.,  Demetrius Mims, Victor U. Cory Barnes Jr, and Chris Biekeu are the five new guys and there will be at least one more. So six new guys and now sit-out transfers at this point. We could really use a break-you-down wing.

Looks like I'm going to have to see a summer practice to find out about these guys because I haven't seen enough to form an impression.

We will. Fobbs has had two of the better seasons for a Towson player. Dennis does a lot of little things. He sets good screens, which isn’t always a given looking at go many illegal/moving ones players try and set. Also helped erase a lot mistakes and drives with his blocks.  I remember he has like 3 in the last minute of a game a few years ago

And it’s year 9, with 3 seniors and a weak conference. We are upset that the opinion and views of an insider of the program is that we could and should be the 5th best team at this point. Especially coming off a rebuilding year last year 

Edited by TuTigers2012

I agree that all 3 seniors will be missed, to varying degrees. Also agree that there will be a lot of questions regarding the 6 newcomers (really 7, in the sense that Solomon didn’t play this year). 

Will be interesting to see if any of the guys scheduled to return, bolt. What’s it, like 700 or so D1 kids transferred after last season? 

I’m guessing that the 1 open ship isn’t used on a sit-one transfer, but that’s strictly a guess. We haven’t gone grad transfer in awhile, and, with the success of Fobbs, I’m guessing the last ship goes to a JUCO, maybe a SG, to try to replace some of the points that leave the building with Fobbs

15 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

We will. Fobbs has had two of the better seasons for a Towson player. Dennis does a lot of little things. He sets good screens, which isn’t always a given looking at go many illegal/moving ones players try and set. Also helped erase a lot mistakes and drives with his blocks.  I remember he has like 3 in the last minute of a game a few years ago

And it’s year 9, with 3 seniors and a weak conference. We are upset that the opinion and views of an insider of the program is that we could and should be the 5th best team at this point. Especially coming off a rebuilding year last year 

The fact that we went from bad to good is at least a step. And that Skerry is now recruiting shooters to an extent, at least he was. Not just worrying about the physique of a player and more about his skills. You can always build the physique in the weight room. Not sure about next season's class in terms of skill level on offense. Maybe Mims. We're getting close to the chip and combining D, rebounding with more scorers is the way. But still need a great player.

Realize it’s premature to be talking about next season, but, other than Darling at DE, many of the best players in the conference are gone after this season (Buie, Pemberton, Knight, Van Vliet, Riller, Roland, Fobbs, Sheffield). Also, if last off-season is any indication, some talented underclassmen will transfer out of the conference. Could be another wide open season, with DE as the prohibitive favorite, I would think 

13 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I agree that all 3 seniors will be missed, to varying degrees. Also agree that there will be a lot of questions regarding the 6 newcomers (really 7, in the sense that Solomon didn’t play this year). 

Will be interesting to see if any of the guys scheduled to return, bolt. What’s it, like 700 or so D1 kids transferred after last season? 

I’m guessing that the 1 open ship isn’t used on a sit-one transfer, but that’s strictly a guess. We haven’t gone grad transfer in awhile, and, with the success of Fobbs, I’m guessing the last ship goes to a JUCO, maybe a SG, to try to replace some of the points that leave the building with Fobbs

Well, will there be sit-out transfers anymore? That's another story and I would think that would kill mid-major basketball if guys don't have to sit. Everybody thinks that grass is greener. 

But, it was a different feeling last season when the two seniors left. Great guys, but it was time to move on. Give me another two weeks and if we lay an egg in the CAAs with our seniors playing like crap. I might be saying the same thing I said about last year's class (lol). 

Grad transfers. Bilal Dixon? Good. The big kid from Dayton. Not so good. Alex Gavrilovic. Can't remember another grad transfer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Realize it’s premature to be talking about next season, but, other than Darling at DE, many of the best players in the conference are gone after this season (Buie, Pemberton, Knight, Van Vliet, Riller, Roland, Fobbs, Sheffield). Also, if last off-season is any indication, some talented underclassmen will transfer out of the conference. Could be another wide open season, with DE as the prohibitive favorite, I would think 

I thought Van Vliet might have one year left, even though he's 24 years old. He has played just three years of college ball. But he's apparently gone. Probably overseas to play. He's legit big and a reason they could win it all, but that dude is allergic to getting to the paint on offense when 6-6 guys defend him. 

Delaware is a major favorite. I don't know about transfers for the rest of the programs. They all probably have 1-2 just like us. I think we could be around 3-4. We could be two if our freshmen make the strides we hope for (including Nick) and if just Mims and Victor are legit. The two freshmen and the juco kid from Quebec don't have to be great. If we can find a legit grad transfer that can score off the dribble, well, we can only dream.

I just did a very quick read of an article discussing the possible elimination of the rule that an athlete who transfers has to sit out a year. The article I read suggests it’s not if it’s going to happen, but when. And the when is perhaps as soon as later this year. If/when this goes through, it’ll be terrible, IMHO, for mid-majors (like us), who will become farm teams for the P5. If a talented mid-major kid knows he can transfer to a bigger program without sitting out a year, that will lead to mid-major kids getting poached, even more than they are now

• Like 1