• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB routs Elon in home finale 84-71 (story up)

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

So, we’re tied with DE for 3rd, at 10-6, while C of C is in 5th, at 9-7.

C of C closes at home, with DE & Drexel. I think at worst they split. If so, we would have to split on the road, vs Hofstra & NE, to finish ahead of C of C. If C of C wins both of its last 2 games, they would finish at 11-7. We’d have to win both of our last 2 games in that scenario to finish ahead of C of C. I don’t see that happening. 

So, who do we want to L the DE vs C of C game this Thursday, seeing as both us and DE are 10-6, while C of C is 9-7?

Try to avoid Charleston I guess, but at this point, I'm not sure it matters. Charleston will turn it up a notch for the tournament. So will everybody else. Will we? A freshman point guard, no matter how talented, is still a freshman point guard. He's going to need help.

We're going to need to probably sweep Hofstra/NE to get third because I assume Delaware splits with CofC and UNCW. A tie goes to Delaware since they beat Hofstra once. Now if we beat Hofstra and lose to NE, I guess it goes to the second team and we did beat W&M once and they were swept. Assuming they stay in 2nd.

I know we’re not playing Hofstra in the 1st round, and I’m pretty sure we’re not going to play W&M. So, that leaves DE, C of C or NE as our 1st round opponent. I guess Drexel or Elon could pass NE, but I doubt it. NE seems to be on a roll at this point. I’m curious to see how we do in the season finale vs NE

Drexel is done. They have to play their last two games on the road. NE plays us and James Madison at home. So they will avoid the PIG and could get to fifth if they get to 10-8 and Charleston falls apart. And if we tie NE, they get the 4th seed over us, assuming they beat us twice. 

You’re right-Drexel can’t catch NE. Elon only has a long shot chance of catching NE (they’d have to beat W&M on the road, & NE would have to lose both of their last 2 games). If that happened (highly unlikely) both Elon & NE would be 8-10 (no idea which team would get the tiebreaker).

So, throw out us playing Hofstra, W&M, or the 4 PIG teams (Likely Elon, Drexel, UNCW & JMU) in the 1st round. That leaves either DE, C of C or NE, each of whom has a guard who can take over a game single handedly 

Edited by TSU88

I guess we could get 6th, assuming we drop the last two games. Then it could be Delaware. Split the games and you're facing NE or Charleston. That's my read on the situation assuming that Delaware wins one more game. But if Charleston, who is playing lousy, wins both, I guess they have the tiebreaker over Delaware and would finish 3rd. Just split and we'll see what happens. Go 0-2 and I think most people will have little faith that we win a tournament game, though we are playing decently on the road. Go 1-1 and there's some confidence. Go 2-0 and we could get 2nd. Though W&M has just one game left and it's against Elon at home. So scratch that.