• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Transfer Portal thread

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

I agree that we need a G more than a F.  Makes me curious if there’s something we’re not privy to yet, regarding the composition of next season’s roster. 

When you look at the numbers, it's ok, but you don't want to depend on two freshmen guards and a sophomore transfer wing with limited experience. We have athleticism, but not super quickness. In football terms, we have wide receivers with straight line speed, but not a lot of shiftiness. I just don't see that in Timberlake or Betrand. They are not take you off the dribble guys. I don't think Mims is that guy either. So you really have to move the ball well, defend and get in transition more than we ever have.

PG Gibson, Dottin,

SG Timberlake, Darrick Jones, Corey Barnes

SF  Betrand, Mims

PF Gray, Solly, Biekeu

C Victor, C. Thompson

This isn't necessarily my starting lineup. AB is going to really step it up on the boards if he plays the 3, Gray/Victor is kind of on the thin side, but you need a 4 to spread the floor. Thompson at this point, is basically a slightly stronger Tunstall. Put 10 more pounds of muscle on him and add a semblance of a post game and he can be a legit center. Could that be Solly if he's healthy? Biekeu? Who knows. Fobbs wasn't the prettiest player on offense, but without him, we'd have probably been 9th or 10th last season. I don't think that's where will be this year. I just don't think I'll be able to see this team until October due to the circumstances. Personally, here's what I want see from each player as I mentioned in another thread.

Gibson: Add 10-15 pounds and drive and dish more. Work on D.

Timberlake: Work on a three-point shot and left-hand all summer. A cross-over. Needs to get to the hoop. Mid-range shot don't need the hitch.

AB: More consistent focus and don't get down when things are bad. Has ability to take over this team like Fobbs. Could be very good defender if he plays the 3.

Dottin: Just continue working on shot and off-hand. Maybe lose a few LBs. Don't need more muscle.

Gray: When hand is healed, pump more iron and work on all-around offensive game. Need to improve everything a tad. Confidence.

CT: Free throws, post game. Mid-range shot. 

The rest just need to gell with the rest of the team.

23 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

JMU’s Darius Banks has entered the transfer portal. Lit us up for 27 points at SECU last season 

Then was horrible the next game we played them. I don't think he'll be the last to leave. Pretty typical when a new coach takes over. If I'm Mark Byington, I'd want to clean house. They rarely played defense and never played 40 minutes. The current status of the world makes that tough to do now.  They might be better with less talent if they just play harder.

Banks might be the 1st domino. I wonder if Lewis, who averaged 19ppg, will bolt next? He’s got 1 year of eligibility left. Not sure if he could go the grad transfer route, or if he’d have to sit one

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Banks might be the 1st domino. I wonder if Lewis, who averaged 19ppg, will bolt next? He’s got 1 year of eligibility left. Not sure if he could go the grad transfer route, or if he’d have to sit one

I'd assume Lewis would leave. His numbers are a bit hollow. He reminds me a little of Zane. Worse shooter 41% (37%). Played way too many minutes 35.6mpg. If I were the coach, I'd say you stay, play around 30mpg, take better shots, play defense and get more people involved. With Banks gone, he'd be the primary ballhandler. 

Looking at Banks, his numbers were much worse. Shot 36% from the field and 33% from 3-point. They also played the fastest tempo in the CAA at 84th in the country. While I think we need to play faster, they need to play slower. Their pressure was never scary and they only ended up forcing 11.7 turnovers per game.

Sorry if I re-posted this. I don't remember seeing his name. Sit-out guy, but a four-star recruit who barely played in the Big 12. Listed at 6-5, 217.

Howard has heard from Xavier, Ole Miss & New Mexico? Why, for his opinion on social distancing? Hey, if he goes to NM, he can reunite with ZM. If he goes to Drexel, that would really be interesting 

5 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Howard has heard from Xavier, Ole Miss & New Mexico? Why, for his opinion on social distancing? Hey, if he goes to NM, he can reunite with ZM. If he goes to Drexel, that would really be interesting 

I think teams need to fill their bench and well, he did average in double figures. I don't get the Xavier and Ole Miss stuff, but New Mexico isn't high major. IF Zane and Howard re-united, well, they never really played together, then there would have to be two basketballs and defense would be secondary.

BTW, aside from the attitude issues, I always thought he'd be better playing off the ball. He's not a bad shooter. He just doesn't really care about anything else.

NM will be known as the TU of the west 😆

He could serviceable at a school comparable to us, but I agree, if he actually winds up at Xavier or Ole Miss it’s as bench fodder