• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Transfer Portal thread

Holland had pretty good numbers against some pretty good competition last season:

14 pts vs Wofford, which won 19 games 

19 pts vs St. Louis, which won 23 games 

17 pts vs Florida Atlantic, which won 17 games 

16 pts vs Valpo, which won 19 games 

15 pts vs Radford, which won 21 games, & had Carlik Jones, one of the most coveted transfers this off-season, who recently transferred to Louisville 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Most likely, Allen sits out, so that means we don't have any ships for next season (barring others leaving). Gray is a senior. That's it. Obviously that means somebody is gone or a freshman is not coming in for this year. I assume it's the latter, because I haven't heard of any current player leaving. 

Mat, how could Allen sit out, seeing as he’s a grad transfer? Why would he want to sit out in any event?

Presumably, as you said, 1 of the incoming freshman (Jones, Barnes, Biekeu) ain’t incoming anymore 

9 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Mat, how could Allen sit out, seeing as he’s a grad transfer? Why would he want to sit out in any event?

Presumably, as you said, 1 of the incoming freshman (Jones, Barnes, Biekeu) ain’t incoming anymore 

I meant Holland. I'm losing my mind during this QT.

Unless NCAA does away with the sit-one requirement, or unless Holland somehow qualifies for a waiver of the sit-one requirement. He is from nearby. LJ Owens, who’s also from AA County, didn’t have to sit out a year when he transferred from W&M to UMBC

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Unless NCAA does away with the sit-one requirement, or unless Holland somehow qualifies for a waiver of the sit-one requirement. He is from nearby. LJ Owens, who’s also from AA County, didn’t have to sit out a year when he transferred from W&M to UMBC

Didn't he transfer due to a coaching change?

The transfer rule will change at some point. Some waivers may be approved this year if there is a coaching change or some close family member who is sick (per usual). Not sure that happens this year. Probably after next season.

Is that a sit-one exemption? Chase Audige, who transferred from W&M to Northwestern, had to sit out last season 

So, if Holland hypothetically didn’t have to sit out a season, the G’s this fall would be Gibson, Dottin, Timberlake, Allen & Holland. That’s a deep group. On paper, I would think that would not leave a lot of minutes for Dottin. And this doesn’t even factor in Jones, our high flying incoming freshman from Oak Hill. 

Maybe the idea is that Holland does sit out next season, & plugs into Allen’s spot for the 21-22 season 

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Is that a sit-one exemption? Chase Audige, who transferred from W&M to Northwestern, had to sit out last season 

Who knows. Maybe LJ Owens had the coaching excuse and a sick family member. He transferred very close to home. Minutes away. Audige is from PA, not Evanston or Chicago.

15 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

So, if Holland hypothetically didn’t have to sit out a season, the G’s this fall would be Gibson, Dottin, Timberlake, Allen & Holland. That’s a deep group. On paper, I would think that would not leave a lot of minutes for Dottin. And this doesn’t even factor in Jones, our high flying incoming freshman from Oak Hill. 

Maybe the idea is that Holland does sit out next season, & plugs into Allen’s spot for the 21-22 season 

It would be a nice luxury to have. I don't see that happening, but who knows. Allen and Holland could play together and both can get to the basket, something we really didn't have last year from our backcourt. And both can stroke the three around 39-40%. Personally, I'd rather have Holmes, because he can help right away, but I like Holland. He was improving his game and probably would have averaged around 15ppg had he stayed at High Point. Also like that he's an 80% FT shooter and improved from 74% in his freshman season. I also think Holland can play some point guard. Not sure he did that at High Point. 

If he was eligible, you probably see a very heavy guard lineup and a lot of four guard looks. In that respect, guys like Holland, Timberlake, Betrand and Mims would have to play bigger and hit the boards. And sure, Dottin would get very few minutes.