• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Second 2021 commit

So, that’s 2 PG commits for 2021; this kid & Gill, the kid from N. Carolina.  I wonder what effect this has on Gibson’s minutes in 2021, when he’ll be a Junior, assuming there’s a 2020 season.  Isn’t Gray the only senior on the 2020 roster, unless Gueye gets a waiver to play this season? Two commits for only 1 guaranteed roster spot. Does this mean PS thinks Gueye’s going to get a waiver, or is he simply assuming one of the returning players will transfer out after this season? 

If Dottin returns in 2021-22, we have four point guards. We've always complained about the lack of production from that position, so why not go quantity of quality?

But seriously, I think when you look at what Hofstra did with a very small backcourt, you don't need a 6-4 shooting guard to win. Gibson and Hicks can be combo guards and it appears that Hicks is the better prospect on paper than Gill. But Hicks can also play the 2, even though he's just 6-0, while Gibby is 6-1 and hopefully will add another 10-15 pounds between this year and the next. He's a very good spot-up shooter and not so good off the bounce quite yet. 

Remember, Cam Allen is a grad student, Gray is a senior and Gueye will probably get the waiver (since everybody appears to getting one). So you are losing three players that we know of. Even if Gueye shockingly doesn't get the waiver, does he just get the degree and return to his home country? Maybe he goes overseas to play pro ball or not sure when NBA Africa is beginning, but that could be an option next season if he doesn't get the waiver. But we assume he will.

So next season if Gueye gets his waiver? We have 12 players on scholarship. Gibson, Dottin, Hicks, Gill, Holland, Timberlake, Mims, Darrick Jones, Solly, Chris Biekeu, Victor U. and CT. We definitely need a big that can play both post spots or if you can grab a stretch 4 transfer. Go for it.

PG Gibson, Dottin, Hicks, Gill

SG Holland, Timberlake, Gibson, Hicks

SF Mims, Darrick Jones, Timberlake

PF Solly, Chris Biekeu

C Victor, C. Thompson

I forgot about Allen’s ship being open after this upcoming season.  So, likely 3 open ships for 2021, not counting the inevitable departure of a non-senior.  

BTW, watching Hicks in that second clip. He's really impressive defensively. He doesn't appear to be super-athletic, but he's Philly tough. I know that hasn't always been great the last two players with ZM and AB, but both had talent and size. A lot bigger than Hicks. Guys that are smaller, they have to use their brains and body. I like his body control and reminds me of old-school point guards. Not saying he's the next Rod Strickland, but that was a guy who could finish under the rim as well as anybody. Fortunately, he won't have to come in and start next season. He can sit and learn behind Gibby and Dottin or play some two behind Holland, if Timberlake moves to the 3.

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I forgot about Allen’s ship being open after this upcoming season.  So, likely 3 open ships for 2021, not counting the inevitable departure of a non-senior.  

I have to admit that the Gill move now looks a bit puzzling and let's face it. He has not signed an LOI and is just a commit, since the signing period I assume will stay in late November/early December.

Or if Holland doesn't get the waiver, he has two years left at the two starting next season, Timberlake and Mims have two more after this one, Jones has three more, though those guys might be considered small forwards. Mims might be able to play some 4 if he can add bulk. My guess is that Hicks could be good enough to allow Gibson to play the 2 when Holland sits. I don''t know where Gill fits in if Dottin is back as a senior, other than redshirting. That's assuming we have a vax or the 'Rona has dissipated by next winter, because we have to go through this shit again, I wouldn't redshirt anybody. Certainly not this season, assuming we play at least half the season.

This is making me desperate for some hoop action this season. I really wanted to see what Cam Allen could/can do, pushing the ball with Gibson waiting on the wing. Or what Mims and D. Jones bring with their aerial feats. Who is going to replace AB's scoring? Is Fobbs even replaceable? Can Gibson and Timberlake take that next step? Shame that we may not be able to see them until 2021, though I really think the Pac-12 panicked on eliminating winter sports until 2021.