• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Stat Update II

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

Biggest stat is the record....9-4.  If you took a straw poll after the non-conference I would be shocked if anyone had us at 9 wins.  We've lost to 2 P5's (yes I know Pitt  isnt good) and 2 teams that will probably be playing post-season basketball in March.  I think the most exciting things for me are; 1) we have multiple guys that can beat you any night 2) we aren't playing down to bad teams, we are blowing them out 3) we can make shots and are scoring inside 4) we are unselfish.  I feel like this team really likes eachother and is more worried about the whole than the parts.  I am not sure if we've had that since the Bennimon era. 

All good points. We didn’t have that in the Benimon era.  They didn’t pass much and was a selfish but good team

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

Biggest stat is the record....9-4.  If you took a straw poll after the non-conference I would be shocked if anyone had us at 9 wins.  We've lost to 2 P5's (yes I know Pitt  isnt good) and 2 teams that will probably be playing post-season basketball in March.  I think the most exciting things for me are; 1) we have multiple guys that can beat you any night 2) we aren't playing down to bad teams, we are blowing them out 3) we can make shots and are scoring inside 4) we are unselfish.  I feel like this team really likes eachother and is more worried about the whole than the parts.  I am not sure if we've had that since the Bennimon era. 

#1 and #4 are so important. Nolan, Timberlake, Gibson, Holden have each been the leading scorer multiple times. If one is having an off night, the other 3 are still there to back you up. It’s also refreshing to see this team pass a lot. They are always looking for the open man. While Fobbs and Martin were great, that is something they lacked. 

The 2013-14 team, which won 25 games, and probably will go down as the best Towson team never to go to the NCAA Tournament, had no point guard.It certainly wasn't a great passing team by any means. Benimon was the de-facto point guard, who led the team with 3.6 assists and Mike Burwell was second with 2.4 assists. So they combined for 6 assists and the entire team averaged 8.1 assists per game. Everyone else was looking to shoot. Looking at the three-point shooting, it was that bad. Burwell, Marcus Damas and Ralph Guthrie all shot 35%. Four McGlynn shot 41%.

The problem other than lack of passing? Basically no depth. It was a six-man team with John Davis and Walter Foster getting around 10mpg off the bench.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/towson/2014.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

The 2013-14 team, which won 25 games, and probably will go down as the best Towson team never to go to the NCAA Tournament, had no point guard.It certainly wasn't a great passing team by any means. Benimon was the de-facto point guard, who led the team with 3.6 assists and Mike Burwell was second with 2.4 assists. So they combined for 6 assists and the entire team averaged 8.1 assists per game. Everyone else was looking to shoot. Looking at the three-point shooting, it was that bad. Burwell, Marcus Damas and Ralph Guthrie all shot 35%. Four McGlynn shot 41%.

The problem other than lack of passing? Basically no depth. It was a six-man team with John Davis and Walter Foster getting around 10mpg off the bench.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/towson/2014.html

Was that the year we went to that random postseason tourney to play USC Upstate and Four hit that half court shot?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TUTigers said:

Was that the year we went to that random postseason tourney to play USC Upstate and Four hit that half court shot?

Yes. Great team. Just couldn't pull off the big win in the CAA Trny.