• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Defense does win games...maybe championships

When you score 45 points at home against a Charleston team that looked tired in the first half, you expect to cruise. But let's be real. Charleston wasn't going to go out giving up 90 points and Towson wasn't going to make a bunch of three's. We were only 3-9 in the first half but we shoot 33% in the second half, we would have won going away. McNeill had two open shots in the corner that you have to make. But we went 1-for-8 in the second half from 3pt and the Cougars went on their run. You expected it and we responded. They shot 45.5 percent from the field but just 1 of 8 from beyond the arc. For the most part, we did a fantastic job of guarding the 3 unlike in the Elon game.

No matter how bad we shot from the field in the second half, we still played solid defense and made our free throws. We went 11 of 15 from the line in the second half and those were the only four misses of the game. Turned the ball over just 12 times but nine in the second half against their press.

Unsung hero? Alex Thomas. His defense on Brantley and his help defense was sensational. You probably had to be there to tell how good he played on that end because I'm not sure you could watch it on the net. That's why I asked to see him in the press conference. Eddie also was very good on D with four blocks and 3 steals. Thomas had 9 rebs. 2 blocks and 1 steal. 

Also add Starr's performance. We desperately needed him on the floor against the press. He played 33 minutes, had 12 pts, 5 rebs, 2 assists and 2 turnovers. The key was his controlling the game and holding Chealey to just 2 of 7 from the field with 12 points in 37 minutes.

It's a shame some people gave up after we last four straight and two in the CAA. We can't go back on those now. Just have to continue to get better but that first half is the way we need to play all the time. Great defense, outstanding passing and solid shooting. Even though Mike shot 3 of 16 today, keep getting him in the ball in the post. He just has to be more patient Morman played just seven minutes and had four fouls including a tech. He's our best defender and we won without him.

Nice to see John Davis at the game as well.

• Like 1

I heap a lot of criticism on him but Thomas did an awesome job on Brantley today.  It took until the 2nd half before I figured out who Brantley even was because he was such a non-entity in the first half (and I hadn't seen the first game last Saturday).  This is two decent games in a row out of Thomas so let's hope he's building on something because Gustys is coming to town (23 rebs today vs Elon) and even though Hofstra ain't that great, he has the type of game that can railroad our chances.  

Offensively, I think it says a lot about our balance that Morsell can go 3-16 shooting and we still win pretty comfortably.  5 guys in double figures certainly helps.  Just like during the 10-game winning streak when it seemed like a different guy stepping up each nite, I think we saw a little of that today with Gorham getting 11 (though that bricked layup in transition in the first half was a sight to behold).  Gotta take care of business against Hofstra and keep the home streak alive.  This little 3-game homestand may be just what the doctor ordered.

I think it's tough for a player to be consistent off the bench. Gorham is getting there but had just one rebound after getting 10 on Friday night. The 11 points are great but for him to get more time, he has to rebound and defend. That's what Thomas did today. You either go with more offensive-minded JG or somebody could give you a better chance against Brantley. They outrebounded us by five in the second half and that has to tick off Pat. The missed layup should be a one-handed dunk but he may have been running too fast.