• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB advances to semifinals with 68-61 win over NE

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/3/6/mens-basketball-towson-mens-basketball-advances-to-caa-semifinal-with-win-vs-northeastern.aspx

Nicolas Timberlake scored 25 points, including 23 in the second half to lead Towson over Northeastern 68-61 from Washington D.C. on Sunday afternoon. With the win, the Tigers advanced to the semifinals for jus the third time in their history in the CAA. They'll play the winner of Delaware/Drexel on Monday night at 6pmET.

Cam Holden added 18 points, seven rebounds and six assists. The Tigers shot 9-of-23 from beyond the arc, but started the game missing their first seven three-point attempts. They started out so poorly that #9 Northeastern led by as many as 10 in the first half, but just one at the half thanks to a Towson spurt. The Tigers also had issues with foul trouble and lost forward Charles Thompson to an ankle injury. He wound up playing just 15 minutes and had five rebounds an two points. 

More comments later..

Now if you watch the interviews, PS brought up the fact that they needed to get Timberlake shots in the second half (obviously did) and that Paar had a nice put back that increased the lead to three when the offense had stalled. Also brought up the fact that he broke his hand in the preseason and his mother died in the offseason.

If Delaware holds on, that certainly will be tough if CT doesn't play. I assume he'll give it go. Get treatment, but will need help. I don't see Painter playing a lot tomorrow since he has a similar issue and hasn't been the same in a month (he hurt his ankle in the suspended game, not due to the floor, but stepped on somebody's foot, I believe CT). I do think we'll see a lot of Juwan Gray at center on Monday night.

I'm already road-weary after just one day. Screwed up the headline already. I'm used to driving home and not returning. It's the PTSD thing of so many years winning in the first round and losing in the quarters or losing in the quarters. Most of us realists knew that this was not going to be easy. I didn't see us being down 10 that early, but thankfully Nolan got hot in the first half and Timberlake was sensational (save for the 4 TOs) in the second half.

But yes, advance and move on. This is where you get everyone's best. And yes, NE scares the crap out of me because I think if you give them a point guard 1/2 as good as Walker, they might be a one or two seed. The kid from Air Force didn't work out (McClintock), so they went to Walters. He's a very good three man, but not a point guard. That team because of Walters, Telford, Doherty and Djobo are not an easy out. They just couldn't figure out how to win close games most of the season. 

It looks as though we've figure it out. I still think Holden has to be the guy who runs the offense when you need a basket. Not Nolan. Cam is the reason we were getting open threes. He posts up and then makes the open pass when he sees a double or somebody laying off of one of the shooters. Nolan is ballsy, but looks for the home run shot or pass a bit too much. He can shoot you in or shoot you out of games. I still wonder if he's 100% and still has his wind. A lot of his drives today didn't even hit the rim. Maybe he was looking for the foul, but not sure he had the lift to finish near the rim or above it. 

16 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Looks like Painter scored 4 points today vs Drexel. 

Yeah, it's Davis that they go to in the paint. I think Painter plays around 15 minutes tomorrow.