• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

2022-23 Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

I know it's a longshot but he's from Baltimore and went to McDonough

Noah Locke, 6-3, 195, Louisville (grad student)

https://verbalcommits.com/players/noah-locke

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4395713/noah-locke

His numbers last season were rather pedestrian. In fact, in 4 years, he’s a career 10ppg scorer. Granted, he’s played against better competition, but I don’t think he’s too good for us. Whether he feels that way, who knows 

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

His numbers last season were rather pedestrian. In fact, in 4 years, he’s a career 10ppg scorer. Granted, he’s played against better competition, but I don’t think he’s too good for us. Whether he feels that way, who knows 

Well, there's zero chance we will get a player from Louisville who averaged 17ppg and shot 40% from three-point range. He had some better games against weaker competition. But seems like he loves to jack shots and is not very efficient. Guessing he still goes high major, but one that is less relevant. Or maybe a Xavier or DePaul. The major connection is where he's from. Not really a point guard so I think we want a bigger guard who can do more than just score.

7 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Well, there's zero chance we will get a player from Louisville who averaged 17ppg and shot 40% from three-point range. He had some better games against weaker competition. But seems like he loves to jack shots and is not very efficient. Guessing he still goes high major, but one that is less relevant. Or maybe a Xavier or DePaul. The major connection is where he's from. Not really a point guard so I think we want a bigger guard who can do more than just score.

Perhaps I misread his stats, but it appeared to me he avg’d 9.6 ppg last season, not 17ppg

I'm intrigued by those big wings the size of Maximus Edwards of Kansas State (I know he hasn't played yet), a combo guard like Suggs or Horton who can play some point and a long forward who is 6-7ish. 

So if Rizzuto is gone along with Nolan, Curtis Holland and Gray (extra ship). Also, not sure where Gill fits in. If he returns, we have two ships left. Max is 13 this season. Last year, was 14+ if you had a grad student who was on your team in 2020-21, hence Gray.

PG Gibson, Hicks, Gill

SG Williamson

SF Timberlake, May

PF Holden, Tyler Coleman

C Thompson, Paar, Biekeu

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Perhaps I misread his stats, but it appeared to me he avg’d 9.6 ppg last season, not 17ppg

I know. My point was you aren't getting a player of that caliber at a school like Louisville. A guy with pedestrian stats from Louisville, who is from Baltimore, might come here. But the more I look, not sure he's a good fit with a team that likes to move the ball and is trying to be unselfish. Or you can say the opposite that we need a guy who can create his own shot late in games. Maybe he's an alpha.

Just now, mat1992 said:

I'm intrigued by those big wings the size of Maximus Edwards of Kansas State (I know he hasn't played yet), a combo guard like Suggs or Horton who can play some point and a long forward who is 6-7ish. 

So if Rizzuto is gone along with Nolan, Curtis Holland and Gray (extra ship). Also, not sure where Gill fits in. If he returns, we have two ships left. Max is 13 this season. Last year, was 14+ if you had a grad student who was on your team in 2020-21, hence Gray.

PG Gibson, Hicks, Gill

SG Williamson

SF Timberlake, May

PF Holden, Tyler Coleman

C Thompson, Paar, Biekeu

That projection at PG gives me major pause for concern. To put it bluntly, Gibson is lacking the requisite quickness to be a PG, Hicks showed very little offensively last season and Gill is probably better suited at a D2 program. 

11 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

That projection at PG gives me major pause for concern. To put it bluntly, Gibson is lacking the requisite quickness to be a PG, Hicks showed very little offensively last season and Gill is probably better suited at a D2 program. 

That's why you need a big combo guard like a Tyler Thomas or Horton who can handle the ball along with Holden to take pressure off of Gibson. The quickness part is certainly a concern on both ends of the floor. When you had Rizzuto and Timberlake with Gibson, the pressure was on Gibson or even more on Holden to run the offense. 

If we can get a guard like Thomas, who can create his own shot. That would make it so much easier for guys like Timberlake and Gibson to get open looks. Also, would hope that Hicks takes a big next step next season. Live in the weight room and at the three-point line.

Also, I have some hope that Williamson and/or May can be rotation players in their first year. That's always difficult as freshmen but I didn't feel that way about last year's class save for Hicks at the beginning of the season. His health issues really slowed his progress down, but even before that, there's no doubt he needs to get better at running a team and scoring. I thought Gill did a very nice job in that Elon game of managing the game, but at 5-11, he's very limited on what he can do and it doesn't appear he has the blinding speed or quickness to compensate for his lack of size.

That's basically a long, rambling way of saying I wouldn't mind a veteran point guard, but I would take a big combo guard like Nolan instead.