• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Top 10 Wide Receivers of all Time

Again, respect to the D2 players like Dale Chipps (2,768 yds) and Sean Murphy (2,524yds). D1-AA/FCS only. This also got tougher because there were so many guys that had one really good season and the kind of fizzled out. Shaky QB play didn't help. So many possibilities but guys that didn't put up great overall numbers: Mike Deal (138 catches), Andre Dessenberg (60 catches in 2016), Christian Summers, Jason Galloway and Andrae Brown deserve HM.

1)Mark Orlando (1991-94). Long strides and deceptive speed. Still all-time leader in receiving yards (3,460) and touchdowns (31). Had 12 in 1994 and eight in 1993. Is fourth all-time in receptions with 179. The Dan Crowley-to-Orlando connection is greatest in school history. HOFer.

2)Jamal White (1998-2002). "Jamal-American" was known for his incredible season in 1999 when he caught 82 passes for 1,322 yards (from Joe Lee). He was named second-team All-American for that year. Injuries (and QB play) hampered his numbers after that season. HOFer.

3)Marcus Lee (2005-08). Sure, he only averaged around 10 yards per catch because Towson was playing West Coast/run-and-shoot. He leads all receivers with 225 catches for 2,389 yards. Big possession receiver with good hands. 

4)Mike Smith (1986-89). Started out at the D2 level. Very strong and sturdy receiver who caught 142 receptions for 2,521 yards. Third-team All-American in 1989.

5)Shane Leatherbury (2017-19). D2 transfer who caught 149 passes for 1,848 yards. Speedster who ranks third all-time with 21 touchdowns. Solid connection with Tom Flacco and that helped his career take off.

6)Kevin Howard (1989-92). One of those receivers that was just reliable. Ranks 8th all-time with 2,086 yards receiving and 5th with 161 catches. Not very big but good hands and route-runner.

7)Eric Yancey (2003-06). Smallish slot receiver who had a great 2006 when he caught 68 passes. Wound up with 138 catches for 16 touchdowns. 

8)Tom Ryan (2009-12). Big receiver at 6-3, 210 who did well in traffic. Caught 127 passes for 1,528 yards. First two years, probably played with at least five QBs. Then Grant Enders arrived. Good blocker who put up solid numbers for a run-first team.

9)Jabari Allen (2017-now). Caught 53 passes for 751 yards in 2018. Has 106 catches and 1,273 yards despite injuries derailing his 2019 season so had just one full year of playing with Flacco. If healthy, should finish his career in the top 10 in most categories.

10)Adam Overbey (1997-2000). Tough one here because he played with Jamal White and put up some big numbers. He was overshadowed but good receiver who ranks 7th all-time with 2,203 yards and also tied for 9th with 14 TDs. A little like Orlando in that he could stretch the field. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't place Jamal White that high; despite his big overall numbers, he had a number of drops in key moments -- in particular when he was wide open behind the defense (and maybe had too much time to think about making the catch and the certain TD that would follow).

Not sure about his career totals, but Demetrius Harrison made a lot of difficult catches at crucial moments -- none more so than the game-ending miracle TD from Sean Schaeffer against Richmond.

5 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I wouldn't place Jamal White that high; despite his big overall numbers, he had a number of drops in key moments -- in particular when he was wide open behind the defense (and maybe had too much time to think about making the catch and the certain TD that would follow).

Not sure about his career totals, but Demetrius Harrison made a lot of difficult catches at crucial moments -- none more so than the game-ending miracle TD from Sean Schaeffer against Richmond.

All these guys were flawed save for Orlando. Marcus Lee averaged just around 10 yards per catch in a pass-happy offense. Demetrius Harrison was a nice receiver and so was Andrae Brown and a few others that I mentioned above. That's why I mentioned I probably should have added some of the D2 guys like Chipps, but I decided to be consistent with FCS-only.

Matthew  Why would you leave out the D2 guys? We beat Maine, Delaware , Del State, Liberty, etc and actually beat JMU which a lot of the ! AA guys never did. And we did it with a bunch of lowly D2 guys :) and  hamburgers from Mc donald's  for our team meals on the away trips.

1 hour ago, Towson17 said:

Matthew  Why would you leave out the D2 guys? We beat Maine, Delaware , Del State, Liberty, etc and actually beat JMU which a lot of the ! AA guys never did. And we did it with a bunch of lowly D2 guys :) and  hamburgers from Mc donald's  for our team meals on the away trips.

No offense but I've had D2 guys in previous lists because there weren't enough worthy FCS Players. Now there are though I give kudos to the guys up top. 

Well Matt

I guess you need to change the Topic from Best of All Time to Best in the 1AA era.  I can list many guys in the D2 Era that would have done very well in the 1AA era. LB Bubby Hammond. D Line Donnie Washington Safety Gary Rubeling Stan Eisenhooth O Line Kurt Beathard QB Brett Rogers QB Greg Rogers DB  Dan Ricker RB. Its not about the Kudos Matt. Everyone already has all of their trophies. I'm sure G Combs would verify.

47 minutes ago, Towson17 said:

Well Matt

I guess you need to change the Topic from Best of All Time to Best in the 1AA era.  I can list many guys in the D2 Era that would have done very well in the 1AA era. LB Bubby Hammond. D Line Donnie Washington Safety Gary Rubeling Stan Eisenhooth O Line Kurt Beathard QB Brett Rogers QB Greg Rogers DB  Dan Ricker RB. Its not about the Kudos Matt. Everyone already has all of their trophies. I'm sure G Combs would verify.

I usually qualify every list with that this is 1-AA only. Guessing Gordy doesn't care and probably wouldn't want to participate, but if you want, how about you create an All-Time D2 list or D2/3 list? I could try, but I would only go by records and numbers since I never covered Towson back then. Also, my list would probably be top 5 because again, I don't have the knowledge. Or I would just go by position like I've done in the past.