• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Towson beats Bucknell 14-13 in overtime, but....The ship be sinking

On 9/4/2022 at 12:05 PM, omniland said:

Morgan just needs to take their best shot and stack the line of scrimmage, spy Piggy and just do their best to shut down our run.  Don't worry about any pass over 6 yards and make the tackle after a rare completion.  I'm not saying they will win, but they will be in the game until the end and then it is anyone's game.  If this bad offensive Towson team loses to Morgan we are in for record setting losses.  An opener like this is just so disappointing because it never seems to improve.  Dink and dunk Chris Ferguson was just painful to watch the entire season.  I believe we are in for that again, with Matthews in the role of Howard.  What you saw is what is real.  What is the probability of developing a big play passing game based on what you witnessed yesterday?  It is only game one and any rational spectator would have to believe there will be very few big play passes the rest of season.  Even if we have one, we probably won't have many more in a particular game.  RA is going to go with Piggy until he concludes he is getting fired no matter what.  At that point he may do anything.     

I think it's way too freakin' early to give up on Scott Smith because he looked not ready for prime time in his first ever game. Sometimes it takes guys a lot more experience than one game to get used to the intensity, the speed, and get rid of the nerves. I don't see Piggy as a Chris Ferguson-type because he can run. I'm never been enamored of his passing which is why I thought Smith was a possibility. But if he's going to be afraid to make mistakes then it's going to be tough to play him.

As for Matthews in the role of Howard, I just don't see it. You have to see Bangda play and he will this week. I'm not a huge fan of D'Ago Hunter because of his lack of size, but he does add some speed and quickness but was injured. Bangda wasn't. He'll be back. He's bigger and faster than Matthews, who was considered the third-string back. But I've been critical of the team not getting another speed back since Shane Simpson transferred to Virginia and when he was injured in 2019, our fastest back was Flacco. We had no big plays against Bucknell other than a back-shoulder throw from Piggy to Daniel Thompson. There are some big-play guys on this offense. DK James is. Akuchie is. Sam Reynolds is. They need to get these guys the ball in space in single coverage

I'm for starting Smith.  I think someone like Smith is the future.  I was not disappointed in Smith and wanted him to play more.  Give him some time.  However I don't think RA will do it which is why I don't think we have any chance to be a threat with big play pass plays this season once again.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, omniland said:

I'm for starting Smith.  I think someone like Smith is the future.  I was not disappointed in Smith and wanted him to play more.  Give him some time.  However I don't think RA will do it which is why I don't think we have any chance to be a threat with big play pass plays this season once again.  

Until Smith can show he's ready in a game, he'll go with Piggy, because that gives him the best chance to win. He will need Piggy to beat Morgan State most likely. But against West Virginia, even though that's a tough D to go against, I can see Smith getting a lot of reps when the game is out of reach. Maybe that will give him some more confidence. To me, that's what he needs right now. He had that in camp, but now he needs to translate that on the field.