• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football falls to UNH 37-14

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=410466

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/9/24/towson-football-falls-to-new-hampshire-in-caa-opener.aspx

Not much to say other than a brilliant move by UNH starting off with an onsides kick. Towson had some issues with key special teams players not being around. Rob mentions that in the press conference. 

There is no Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Only ugly. Pass rush? Special teams coverage? Offensive line? Quarterback play? Running back 1? Cornerback play? Tackling on defense? Unfortunately, a predictable result.

"Extremely disappointed (after congratulating UNH). Poor discipline. Too many distractions during the week. Lack of making good on some real good opportunities. All piled up. On offense, first couple of drives. At halftime, we're 17 yards apart. And it's 17-0 with a punt return. At halftime, wanted to see what character the team had. Disappointed that the defense gave up a quick score. Impressed with how the offense responded. But we were too far behind."

Special teams

"Disappointing. There are multiple changes on the depth chart based on distractions and discipline that happened in the last 48 hours that did not bear too well."

Offensively on poor drives

"Lack of a consistent running game and getting off schedule. We took two sacks and lost 12 yards twice. With a young patchwork offensive line, we're not coming back on 3rd and 17. We can't get off schedule."

Offense has scored 3 points in the first quarter

"Disappointed beyond..I'm going to take pre-game and turn it into a scrimmage. They are talking about that right now in the locker room. That's my fault."

Problems on offense?

"These guys are feeling each other out as we're putting a lot of new players out there. I have to find a way to get them moving faster without fear and with confidence."

Ryan Kearney on UNH offense

"They were just consistent on first and second down. We couldn't get off the field. They had two drives of 10 plays. That's just unacceptable for a defense. We have to get them off the field."

On pass rush

"Disappointing. We're getting blocked. They have scholarships too and they know exactly who are good pass rushers are.  I know who theirs are. We're chipping their ends, but losing on the inside. We need to find a way to get home more. We're getting better, but it's not good enough."

"They ran us out of the second quarter. They kept running and running plays with 4-5 seconds left on the playclock."

"We went faster in the second half on offense"

Distractions?

"Maybe I need to be a better educator. There are standards, rules, and accountability. Until we have the discipline to be good teammates and the way it's supposed to be done, we're going to have a hard time finding success. I have to find a way to get them to do it. It's my job."

Kearney

"Defense didn't pick it up today. Stars are on the special teams. We have to get it done."

It’s really hard to find any positives about this game. Well, more like impossible. The low point for me today was the dreadful clock management at the end of the first half, which cost us an opportunity to kick a FG. Of course, we had no timeouts to take, after foolishly burning 2 TO’s in the first 8 minutes of the first quarter. It wouldn’t have made any difference in the outcome of the game, but just emblematic of the ineptitude of the coaching staff.

The other mind numbing aspect of today’s game was running 5’4 D’ago Hunter up the middle on 2nd & 20. Not to be outdone, we ran him up the middle again on 3rd & 18. At the time my thought was that this was RA’s Roberto Duran “no mas” moment. He simply waved the white flag 🏳 and checked out. Sad.

The reaction to today’s putrid performance of the people sitting around me at the game today was equal parts disgust, resignation, apathy and even laughter at the ineptitude on display. 

In a sense it doesn’t matter as we’re obviously not going to the playoffs, but I really do wonder where are the W’s on the remainder of the schedule? But I suppose it doesn’t make a helluva lot of difference if we go 4-7 (wildly best case scenario) or 2-9

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

GOH DII or DIII football again? Seems like a better fit for this school in every aspect. 

If we aren’t going to try and be competitive and no one cares (look at todays attendance ) it’s worth a look but the old players on here will kill you for this view

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

If we aren’t going to try and be competitive and no one cares (look at todays attendance ) it’s worth a look but the old players on here will kill you for this view

The view doesn’t matter. If you want to go D3 football, the whole program has to go there. 

0-11 all time vs unh without 28 in the backfield. Most of these games aren’t close. Why are we getting out asses handed to us routinely by Unh Maine. Stony Brooke. Etc.? Change is needed!

4 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

The view doesn’t matter. If you want to go D3 football, the whole program has to go there. 

Hmm. Or just do what needs to be done?  Delaware is the only school in the conference bedsides us that sponsors football, mens basketball,  and mens lacrosse (now some of the new schools do too). That’s tough to compete in all 3, even without an actual baseball program.  

15 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I am one. And winning was fun for everybody. Gonna be 3-5K watching either way, so?

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

I am one. And winning was fun for everybody. Gonna be 3-5K watching either way, so?

Exactly.  When we were good and fun we could barely draw. It is what it is. Sorry everyone, it doesn’t going to change.  Baltimore and Maryland isn’t a sports or college football town. 
the talk for “expanding the stadium” is laughable. No one comes as it is. The students don’t and have never cared. If 3k students come for a half that’s considered good. The home side full of regular ticket payers and “the Vocal football alumni” is barren week after week. 

caa football is a bunch of private schools and New England state schools. We don’t fit this profile anymore. (Delaware either but for some other reasons)

• Like 1