• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Elon again, 83-76

Skerry opening comment
Give credit to Elon. We were outplayed most of the day. We were not alert defensively early and ended up hurting us today.
One thing about this league, if you're not ready to play, you're going to get beat. That was the reality.

On the slow starts and lack of consistency
It's been a concern all year. We've have very inconsistent older guys. That's the reality. We have to look at making
a couple of changes to minutes or being with us....some guys..the ability to execute, they have look at the mirror.
Jordan is still banged up. We'll play him more moving forward. The other guys, you look at the stat sheet, and they
didn't get a lot done. They also didn't help us defensively as well.

We hang our hat on our abliity to guard. We had an 11am walk-through, 6pm walk-through last night. Quick turnaround.
We had one this morning. In the first half. our responsbilities in coverage were not good. Now you're playing from
behind a lot. We got it close and we fouled late. Moans and groans. Justin was late on the block. I think what
happens with our group that a lot of times defensively is that we have to talk. We're not a great talking group.
We become a worse talking group when the ball doesn't go in the basket. It amplifies. In the first half, we had some
great looks right at the rim, guys were rebounding. But they missed and our heads went down. What happens on the other
end is that you pay the price. You give up a 3 because oh my goodness I was late to get to that rotation. That's
the reality. We have some seniors that we're playing but in these type of games, they have to play. Mike did a pretty
good job, he had too many fouls. He's been trying but he's not a great talker. Our other three guys have been very,
very inconsistent.

On Starr
He has to trust what we're selling and he doesn't do that enough. He experiments and he decided to do that today.
Look at his numbers. That's disappointing. It is what it is. Same thing from Deshaun and Eddie. We were late on
coverage, we tried some zone and it didn't work They don't turn it over much. Zane made some plays. Tough to play
with a 12-15 point lead. Really disappointed that our inability to make shots was not intentional, but it affected
our concentration level. They're good on offense and they made us pay because of that.

On facing Elon
We knew they were a good team. Very surprised about what poor job we did guarding threes in the first half against W&M
and to come out and do that again is tough. I asked them at halftime, "did they make threes because they were more
athletic? They were just better?" I don't think that's the case. We had some breakdowns in coverage. I get it. Guys
want to win and put the ball in the basket, but we have to play both sides of the ball. One of the issues with our
group is that because we have the ability to score, moreso than teams in the past. Teams in the past didn't have a lot
of ability to score, they were resilient defensively and on the backboards. But this group, when we don't score, they
let it affect other parts of the game. Today was a great example unfortunately for us.

On CAA
My big thing is are we playing the right way in getting better so we have a chance to get to where we want to get to.
Right now I tell you, we're more like getting one of those Planters' nuts. You're not sure if you are getting the
cashew, peanuts or almonds. If we have to make changes, we'll do that. What I fear right now is I don't like coaching
not knowing who's going to show up and who we're going to get. Are we going to get three good ones in March? That's not
how we've operated here. I'd rather go with something more consistent that trusts what we're selling and let the chips
fall where they may. I'm going to have to re-evaluate.