Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls at Monmouth 51-43

34 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

There is only one stat that matters. 

Offensive rebounding percentage?!?!

Edited by TuTigers2012

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

I know +/- can be an arbitrary stat in basketball, but I always like to look at it after games to see if it confirms what I am watching (admittedly there is a confirmation bias conversation lurking in there). Williamson was +10 and Thompson was at +2. That makes sense to me because those were the only two players who seemed to be offering any positive contributions (other than the Christian May offensive spark that briefly gave us 38-35 lead), even though Williamson's shot was off.

I know people ripped Thompson, and I agree that I don't love that we run the offense through him. However, he gave us what we needed on the boards and defensively and frankly I think he should have played 4-5 minutes more than he did. Yes, he had a bad turnover spree at the beginning of the second half, and he had a couple of bad shots down the stretch, but this is for the most part how we need him to play. Who can blame him for taking a couple of the bad shots when no one else was making anything. He probably could have had five assists if anyone was capable of knocking down an open shot last night. 

One thing that bothers me in modern day college basketball is the over-reliance on the three-pointer even when shots aren't falling. We were 6-28. Twenty-eight of our 60 shots were three-point attempts (granted we were also 10-32 from 2pt-FG). In comparison, Monmouth who couldn't hit water if they fell out of boat from three only took threes on 15 of their 58 FG attempts (they were 18-43 from inside the arc). They outscored us 17 to 8 in points off turnovers despite the fact that we only had one more turnover, and also outscored us 30-16 in the paint. We have to figure out how to get some easy points rather than hoisting up threes and hoping we have a good night. 

Monmouth shot 16 FT to our 8 FT, and matched our 13 offensive rebounds. We also turned the ball over 14 times in 65 possession (21.5%) and shot 26.7% (16-60). I will beat a dead horse and say if we are going to have the least amount possessions of any team in the nation, turn it over 20% of the time and shoot poorly that really limits our chances of winning (I know I am understating this fact). Add to the fact, that we got matched or outplayed in the physical trademarks of Skerry teams (offensive rebounds and free throws), and you run out of ways to win a game no matter how good the defense plays. 

Xander Rice was the only player who did anything offensively when it mattered in this game (May was on his way to doing this when we gave us the lead 38-35, but wasn't able to sustain it), and Jack Collins was everywhere and negated any of the good defensive and rebounding that I thought Thompson provided us. 

Most of you probably either know this or don't care to dig into the stats that much, but after the games Statbroadcast posts expanded boxscores that have possessions, +/- and specialty stats. Sometimes it gives me a little more of a glimpse than a standard boxscore. Here is the link to last night's boxscore if anyone cares. https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/archived.php?id=485916

Love the stats. I think we all agree Charles is an above average defender and average shot blocker. He is the leader. But his offensive game is non-existent. He has looked tired, overwhelmed and frustrated all year.  Dude was gassed 4 minutes into the season at the Coppin game. Maybe he’s battling an injury. But we have seen this look of guys who stay around this program for a long time, it wears on ya

18 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Love the stats. I think we all agree Charles is an above average defender and average shot blocker. He is the leader. But his offensive game is non-existent. He has looked tired, overwhelmed and frustrated all year.  Dude was gassed 4 minutes into the season at the Coppin game. Maybe he’s battling an injury. But we have seen this look of guys who stay around this program for a long time, it wears on ya

That is why you have to ask him to lean into the two things he does well and let others figure out the offense. You could tell from watching last night that Charles was asked to refrain from shooting unless it was a clear chance. He turned down several driving opportunities that he has taken in the past, which is what he has been struggling with this year.

He actually did a good job passing last night at times, and if there was a stat for passes that led to open shots that did not go in he had about 4-5 of those. Of course, that doesn't do much for anything if the shots don't go in when they are taken.

Towards the end of the game, I think he got frustrated and took some of those drives he shouldn't be doing and had a couple of shots blocked. At this point, his role should mostly should be Rodman-esque and there is nothing wrong with that because that is what he does well and it helps the team if anyone else can bring the offense (much easier said then done). His passing is hit or miss, and I don't really want him take a shot unless he is going to the basket and it is a clear chance. I still think he played the best game of anyone in a Tigers uniform last night by a pretty large margin, but that isn't saying much. I also thought Dylan did a decent job, he just couldn't buy a basket. 

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

There is only one stat that matters. The rest are ammunition for the coach to use as his contract expires. 

I don't think even the coach would use stats from this game as ammunition. I just appreciate all of the expanded tools to look at the game in different ways these days. Some care about this stuff, and I know some don't.