• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB stuns Charleston 82-78

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=483818&_gl=1*6mx7yl*_ga*NDg5NjI1NzQyLjE2OTc5MjI1MTY.*_ga_2ZWVK1X7BJ*MTcwNTYzMDkwNi4xNC4wLjE3MDU2MzA5MDYuMC4wLjA.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2024/1/18/mens-basketball-christian-may-drops-20-to-lead-mens-basketball-to-a-big-win-at-charleston-on-thursday.aspx

Christian May scored 20 points and Nendah Tarke added 18 to lead Towson to an 82-78 upset win over Charleston on the road on Thursday night. The win snapped Charleston's nine-game winning streak and improved the Tigers to 10-8 ioverall and 3-2 in the CAAL. 

Here is Pat Skerry after the game on TowsonTigers.com.

"Most complete effort of the season. We needed that. I liked our defense. Sulaiman did a good job. Charlie did a good job on Brezovic. Christian and (Tarke) were awesome offensively. You have to make shots on the road. Good team win. Best effort on the season. Hopefully can build up on this."

"We took care of the ball. That's the barometer. We have to shoot free throws better. We will. A lot of good minutes from a lot of guys. Young guys played a lot of minutes. Tejada played 29 minutes. We've prepped for Campbell already. Want our guys to enjoy this. Ravens game on Saturday, but hopefully people will support these guys. They earned it."

• Like 1

This was probably top 5 or top 3 (if not higher) best win the skerry era. 
Not sure our offense has ever played better (minus the last 2 minutes at the line). Movement, cutting, screens, and driving, does wonders. Not running an offense through the post the entire game is so refreshing.  Solid contributions all around. Tarke played a hell of a game and that late step back there was huge and something we haven’t seen in A LONG time. 

Their big Russian is so skilled, thankfully they didn’t go to him more often. Burnham killed our 4s for thr first 25 minutes or so. 

didnt think we’d win more than one in the league on the road, but that was a hell of a first road win on the season. Can we build on this???

• Like 2

Let's start with the Good, Bad, and Ugly. In a lot of ways, I'm glad I'm not on the chat anymore. Not sure the ticker can take games like these with the free throw shooting and constant fouling at the end, but you know when Teddy "TV" Valentine is officiating, the game is not going to end in two hours.

Good

*Tarke won the game for us with his overall play.  Had 18 points, seven rebounds and five assists (shockingly no steals). He wasn't incredible defensively, but we need guys who aren't scared of big moments. Tejada has been the way and Tark with that late three and some nice drives was excellent.

*May on the road. His best road performance by far and probably best all-around game of his career. Let's remember that he missed about the last 8 or 9 minutes in the first half because he ran over Smith back him down. Dude is usually going to bring it on D. Made 5 of 7 threes including that one late in the shot clock.

*Jones and Sulaiman. Jones got the start and Sulaiman was the better defender. He had three steals and a couple of nice baskets off the dribble, facing the basket. As a back-to-the-basket player, he seems to struggle. Both combined for 12 points and nine rebounds. We'll take it though I'd like to see Tomiwa rebound better.

*Thompson passing was outstanding as was his defense. MiHad just 7 points and 5 rebounds, but five assists. Brzovic had 12 points but was 5 of 12 from the field. Good D by CT and CP on him..

*Shooting. Wasn't really impressed with Charleston's defense. Towson shot 10 of 19 from 3 and 52% from the field. 

Bad

*Playing the shot clock. At some point, you can't wait for them to foul you under 2-3 minutes. You to run an offense and not just jack up shots with 1 second left. We actually a few guys that can drive in Tarke, Williamson and Tejada. Try that instead of launching long shots late in the shot clock up 12 or more.

*Rebounding. Towson has been outrebounded in two straight games, but they did have 11 offensive rebounds. 

Ugly

*Free Throws. Dylan had 13 points and one turnover., but that gets overshadowed by his free throw shooting at the end. He was 1 for 6 and missed his last four. Needs to just calm down. Take a deep breath and dribble once or twice instead of just launching it. Just a freshman and in that case, it shows.

*Sure, should have won earlier and much easier but when you shoot 12 of 22 (54.5%) from the line and you come into the game at around 63%, we're going to let teams hang around that shouldn't.

That was tonight because if not for the FT shooting and some of those fouls at the end, we win by double digits. But as I've said before, not a great team, but now I see we are a flawed, but capable team. Can't really figure them out yet, but they showed something tonight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

This was probably top 5 or top 3 (if not higher) best win the skerry era. 
Not sure our offense has ever played better (minus the last 2 minutes at the line). Movement, cutting, screens, and driving, does wonders. Not running an offense through the post the entire game is so refreshing.  Solid contributions all around. Tarke played a hell of a game and that late step back there was huge and something we haven’t seen in A LONG time. 

Their big Russian is so skilled, thankfully they didn’t go to him more often. Burnham killed our 4s for thr first 25 minutes or so. 

didnt think we’d win more than one in the league on the road, but that was a hell of a first road win on the season. Can we build on this???

I wish we had a player like Tarke last season to complement Timberlake. He ran the point at lot in the second half. which I'd like to see more of because he can really pass it. And while he took a few shaky shots, he's not afraid of the moment. But key is May. When he shoots like that on the road or at home, not many teams in this league are beating us. I'd like to think our three-point shooting over the last 3-4 games is close to 40%.

8 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I wish we had a player like Tarke last season to complement Timberlake. He ran the point at lot in the second half. which I'd like to see more of because he can really pass it. And while he took a few shaky shots, he's not afraid of the moment. But key is May. When he shoots like that on the road or at home, not many teams in this league are beating us. I'd like to think our three-point shooting over the last 3-4 games is close to 40%.

Tarke and Williamson are good at getting in the paint. But sometimes fall in love with some bad and deep threes. 

Charelston is a pretty good team but not last year good. They are now 26-3 in their last 29 home games, with 2 being against us.  Very odd 

Also, want to add that we shot 10 of 19 from three-point range and held them to 8 of 28 from 3-point range (28.6%). Our interior defense was bad against NE in the last game, but our 3-point defense has been improving game-by-game. 

So we came in allowing 43.8% from the field (meh) and 31.3% from the 3-point line (not bad). So we're getting better at defending the three, but we also came in shooting 32.2% from three-point range. That doesn't sound like much, but if you count tonight, we're now 35 of 78 in our last four games from 3-point range

Just now, TuTigers2012 said:

Tarke and Williamson are good at getting in the paint. But sometimes fall in love with some bad and deep threes. 

Charelston is a pretty good team but not last year good. They are now 26-3 in their last 29 home games, with 2 being against us.  Very odd 

Well, we are not as good as last year or at least it seems that way. Everyone is beatable in the CAA. Look at tonight. A&T beats NE, Hofstra won by 9 over Hampton but was down most of that game, Delaware had to struggle to beat SB by 3 at home and Drexel beat Monmouth by just 4 at home. 

on da road....major win.   wow.  all this means; is.....we can....can get it done for one wkend in DC.  CAA is gonna be fun  

love this squad

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Well, we are not as good as last year or at least it seems that way. Everyone is beatable in the CAA. Look at tonight. A&T beats NE, Hofstra won by 9 over Hampton but was down most of that game, Delaware had to struggle to beat SB by 3 at home and Drexel beat Monmouth by just 4 at home. 

That’s why playing awful at ne and Monmouth hurt. Granted I had us winning at Monmouth not tonight, to sit 3-2.  
next 3 weeks are a tough stretch 

5 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

That’s why playing awful at ne and Monmouth hurt. Granted I had us winning at Monmouth not tonight, to sit 3-2.  
next 3 weeks are a tough stretch 

I knew Boston was going to be rough after the overtime game and short turnaround, but now need to capitalize off this win.