• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB holds on to beat Drexel 70-67

The one thing I have really liked to see from this team lately is role players stepping in and contributing effectively in a variety of ways.

Messiah Jones is averaging 7.3 ppg, shooting 10-12 (83%) and is a +41 in an average of a little over 17 minutes over the last three games. Toniya Sulaiman had 4 offensive rebounds (8 overall), has contributed 9 offensive rebounds in the last two games and leads the team with 15 offensive rebounds in conference play. Chaase Paar chipped in 6 pts, was 3-4, and was a +9 on the floor in 14 minutes. Dylan Williamson didn't have a great game and only played 18 minutes, but knocked down the last two free throws, which we desperately needed and was a +8 on the floor. 

Skerry has figured out the Tarke, May and Thompson are the only guys he trusts playing 30 minutes per game. May led the way with 34 minutes, and it was good to see him score 15 points on only nine FGs while also grabbing a team-high 10 rebounds (only one less than Williams). Tarke continues to be our alpha player, and is not scared of any moment. Sometimes that doesn't lead to the greatest shot selection, but he had a couple of great hesitation shot fakes to score over Williams. Even though it took him 14 shots to get 18 points it is helpful to have his aggressiveness, because it opens up offensive rebounding and other opportunities.

Charles fouled out in 25 minutes, but I thought he played really well defensively when he is in the game. It might not look like it statistically, but I feel like he gets the better of Williams in these matchups. He scored 12 points in 25 minutes has to be one of most explosive outputs, and he had a couple of key blocks. He is shooting 61.5% from the field in conference play. He does not qualify, but that would be second behind Williams if he did. Charles leads the team in conference play in rebounding, FG%, steals, blocks and is only two behind the lead in assists. 

One of the interesting things when you look at the conference-only stats is that of the top four teams (Drexel, Charleston, Towson and UNC-W) they only have three players in the top 25 of minutes played. White is 18th, May is 20th, Tarke is 22nd and Charleston and Drexel have no one on that list.

The rotations of those teams and how they evolve throughout the year (probably not much) will be interesting to track. Going back to my original point I feel like Skerry has been doing a solid job rotating players and having them understand strengths when they get in the game. This might be the deepest Towson team from an athletic standpoint I can remember, so it is good he is doing that well because it was one of my primary criticism of him heading into conference play. 

Now it is time to send Delaware off to their new conference with a couple of Ls the next couple of weeks. 

• Like 3