• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General Basketball Thread for 2024-25

7 hours ago, lightspeednate said:

So I guess this off-season has been relatively uneventful compared to the past few seasons (which can sometimes be a very positive thing in the CAA). It is not easy to go an off-season without a couple players transferring out or graduating and they’ve mostly avoided that.

I guess the big question remains where does Charles Thompson’s 28.2 minutes per game go to?

I guess Sulaimon, Jones and Lowery now all stand to be 20+ minutes per game players given that they’ve continued to improve from last season? 

It’s too early to tell what the minutes will be like especially at center. Lowery will likely start at the wing with May and Tejada. Sulaiman should get around 15 mpg off the bench. Jones moves to center and I don’t know what the minutes will be like between him, Embeya and Samb.

Off season has been positive for us diehard Tiger fans..  

We have the Summer ProAm going on here in SF and although it is summer league ball I’ve gotten a chance to catch many current college players along with incoming freshman.  Needless to say now more than ever do coaching staffs really have to do their homework in this social media hype times.  Watched a soon to be UCSB Gaucho play last night and talk about overhyped.  And1 bullshit!  Then in the same game watched an under hyped Vermont player look so polished and played team ball.   

Really makes me appreciate what we have in guys like Tejada and company.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

I would say as of right now depth chart is:

C Mesiah Jones/Caleb Embeya/Abdou Samb (still too soon who will get the nod but will likely start out all 3 getting time)

F Tejada, Sulaiman, Coleman

F Lowery, Ndefo

G May, Tarke, Cole

G Williamson, Hicks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

I would say as of right now depth chart is:

C Mesiah Jones/Caleb Embeya/Abdou Samb (still too soon who will get the nod but will likely start out all 3 getting time)

F Tejada, Sulaiman, Coleman

F Lowery, Ndefo

G May, Tarke, Cole

G Williamson, Hicks

Woof.  That center spot will need to change if we want to hang with the Cougs and their trio of 6'10+ Russians/Euros

38 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Woof.  That center spot will need to change if we want to hang with the Cougs and their trio of 6'10+ Russians/Euros

Embeya is 6-9 and long. Samb is 6-8 and long but limited offensively. Agree that 6-6 Messiah Jones is not a great matchup against that team or most with 6-9+ 230+ bigs. Hopefully, by conference play, Embeya is ready to go. Or we could have kept 6-10 Chase Paar but I digress.

As much as it seems odd having a 6-6 center after having a 6-7 center, Jones is more of a natural center. He didn't have the footspeed to check quicker power forwards and wasn't much of a perimeter threat. Offensively, he could be better at center since he was serviceable at Wofford playing there (9.5ppg/4.7rpg/71.3% FT in 2022-23, 70% LY/61% FG in 3yrs). He also was a foul machine probably because he was undersized. He shot just 49.3% from the field last season after shooting over 60% in three+ seasons there.

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Embeya is 6-9 and long. Samb is 6-8 and long but limited offensively. Agree that 6-6 Messiah Jones is not a great matchup against that team or most with 6-9+ 230+ bigs. Hopefully, by conference play, Embeya is ready to go. Or we could have kept 6-10 Chase Paar but I digress.

As much as it seems odd having a 6-6 center after having a 6-7 center, Jones is more of a natural center. He didn't have the footspeed to check quicker power forwards and wasn't much of a perimeter threat. Offensively, he could be better at center since he was serviceable at Wofford playing there (9.5ppg/4.7rpg/71.3% FT in 2022-23, 70% LY/61% FG in 3yrs). He also was a foul machine probably because he was undersized. He shot just 49.3% from the field last season after shooting over 60% in three+ seasons there.

No doubt they are tough guard no matter who, but they are quicker than said 5 man and taller than said 5 man. 
Hopefully he gets back to his Wofford years. He wasn’t awful offensively last year and gets some offensive boards but his knack for fouling and poor defense cancel that out

17 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Bakersfield is actually D1 now.  
How does this compare to what we receive for scheduling a D2 school?

IMG_8604.png

I would really F'ing hope its next to nothing. 

• Haha 1