• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

T.J. Howard commits to Towson

http://chipolaathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/bios/howard_tj_t0n2

Solid year. Not sure Howard is a major upgrade over Starr but at least he has some DI experience at Western Ky, where he started four games as a freshman. Solid FT shooter (79%), solid 3-point shooter (39%). Assist to turnover ratio OK but not great 1.7. 40 steals in 29 games and 4.0 assists per game at juco level isn't bad.

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

We can put to rest speculation about a grad transfer. Looks like Howard & Dottin at the point

I assume they are done but you never know but yes, they are done at the point guard spot. 

I’m not so sure we’re totally done. I hope we can still make a run at Timberlake. 

I’m probably looking at this through TU colored glasses, but I do see a distinction between Starr and Howard. The former had few, if any other, D1 offers out of JUCO. I suspect he didn’t have any D1 offers out of HS either. Meanwhile, Howard was pretty coveted out of HS. I believe I read somewhere that the reason he might have transferred out of WKU was due to a coaching change. I believe Howard was also more heavily recruited out of JUCO than Starr. With ZM, Gorham & Sanders, we don’t need him to score 20ppg. 10 would be nice, with hopefully 4 assists per game, minimal turnovers & play D. 

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2018top100rankings

https://247sports.com/college/western-kentucky/Board/104580/Contents/TJ-Howard-is-transferring-54732322

Check out the thread above. Usually posters say a lot of bad things about transfers but not about TJ so maybe he will fulfill his potential here. Coaching change had something to do with it Sounds like he can defend, which we know is a key ingredient here.  Thought Starr improved in that category but was never going to be great.

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m not so sure we’re totally done. I hope we can still make a run at Timberlake. 

I’m probably looking at this through TU colored glasses, but I do see a distinction between Starr and Howard. The former had few, if any other, D1 offers out of JUCO. I suspect he didn’t have any D1 offers out of HS either. Meanwhile, Howard was pretty coveted out of HS. I believe I read somewhere that the reason he might have transferred out of WKU was due to a coaching change. I believe Howard was also more heavily recruited out of JUCO than Starr. With ZM, Gorham & Sanders, we don’t need him to score 20ppg. 10 would be nice, with hopefully 4 assists per game, minimal turnovers & play D. 

Yeah, I did a little more research. I think Howard will be an upgrade but I guess I was looking for the next Lyles or Calixte, though they are more combo guards than pure point guys. If we had a ship open I think Timberlake would be a very exciting addition at combo guard. He would allow Zane or Fobbs to play wing and we could run all day with Howard or Dottin running the show. That's my hope anyway even though I really like Betrand the more skilled players, the better. Can't just win with athletes that are long. Need skilled athletes. 

The good thing is that we won't have to throw a true freshman point guard out there and he can develop. Athletically, Dottin is much more explosive than Prophete.

At the risk of stating the obvious, this can’t bode well for Prophete. It would seem like he’s the last guy off the bench. I hear though he’s a good kid & goes to class, so if he stays, so be it

He would be the guy to go if a ship opens up for Timberlake but if he likes it here, great. We can't play 13 so here goes the depth chart and I'm going to assume Fobbs is the starter.

PG Howard, Dottin, Prophete

SG Martin, Betrand

SF Fobbs, McNeill, Drayton

PF Gorham, Tunstall, Solomon O.

C Sanders, Thomas

Competition for starting SF, center, minutes off bench.

Games aren’t won on paper, but I think we have potential to be pretty good next season, between the new guys & addition by subtraction, with the guys from last season who won’t be back